Tyco BMW only track day at Donington park 2016

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
second session just after the drizzle.

https://youtu.be/wExgiJ8eTcw

You passed me going through redgate in the first few seconds of the footage. The bike in front of me with the yellowish helmet was a major PITA for most of the first and that session, you can see I had to go hard on the brakes into redgate because he was so slow turning in. I got out in front of him from the third session onwards and lap times dropped by 6-8 seconds lol. Naively I was following the 'rules' on not overtaking anywhere I fancied.....

I love Donington, wish I'd gone now.., re overtaking, a fair spread of speeds on that video footage, how were the groups split up?

Just fast and not fast, 2 groups. First two sessions I went out mid group in the fast and had a terrible time being stuck behind people with other fast guys slicing through at any opportunity, like in the video. Third session I went out at the front along with Ricks1 and had the proper fast lads pass me after a lap or two (there were around 6-7 riders doing the low 1.40s I saw) and then didn't have anyone come past me for the rest of the session, lots of clear laps. After lunch FE moved a few people up and down based on the transponders and I kept going out at the front and the pace was good.

The problem I often find is that if I am stuck behind a bike with the same acceleration / performance, as was the case on Tuesday, the main opportunities to get past are either on the brakes or carrying more speed out of the corners. What I found with a few bikes was that I caught them easily but as soon as I showed them my front wheel they started braking later into corners which resulted in taking weird lines through which felt like it was going to end in tears, so I'd back off. A few riders simply barged their way through the traffic but I didn't because I was playing nice. lol.

You have to be careful barging through, last time I was there I apparently scared someone by overtaking them closely - they moved out as I was going past them, no fuss was made about it but it can be frustrating for the reasons you mention

You passed me going through redgate in the first few seconds of the footage. The bike in front of me with the yellowish helmet was a major PITA for most of the first and that session, you can see I had to go hard on the brakes into redgate because he was so slow turning in. I got out in front of him from the third session onwards and lap times dropped by 6-8 seconds lol. Naively I was following the 'rules' on not overtaking anywhere I fancied.....

on a chrono day its a case of overtake anywhere in the first 2 sessions, thats what ive learnt anyway.lol. if your going quicker then its not normally an issue, i think i passed a ducati that on film looks quite close but unless it sped up all of a sudden it shouldn't of been a problem.

the main issue with 2 groups on this kind of day the lap times are split in the wrong place , i know its to keep groups even but even in the afternoon there were a lot of bikes going quite slow. just different slow bikes. lol. it was a fun day though and think i would do another.

Like many others I expect, I under rate my abilities compared to others on track days at the start, but as I do more and more it's becoming increasingly the case that I find myself circulating towards the quicker end of the spectrum. I'm never going to be doing the times the fast guys with track bikes do, partly down to ability, partly down to hardware, partly down to wanting to be able to ride home. It was a really good day nonetheless.

Your good lady did very well dealing with such closing speeds and making good safe progress through the masses.

Back