BMW Club road bike only track days 2020

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am interested as only live 3 miles from Cadwell!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Got in touch last night so I think I am sorted.

To explain for new folk.
Monday's - This is road rider training - this isn't about lap times its about hitting your marks on the track. Using all the road and making effortless progress which can translate to the road later.
So although it's on track its about gaining confidence with the machine underneath you and working on positioning etc.
The cautious group is more aimed at riders that are new, it's heavily coached and quite rigid in training the fundementals.
The Intermediate group is for people that are confident and capable of spirited b-road riding but still want a high level of tuition to learn track lines and build confidence of carrying speed in turns, using braking markers etc, and enjoy the power and speed of what is a de-restricted road, repeating, road!
The Experienced group is for those that have some track experience usually, even if its previous road bike events. They want to enjoy a day of riding their road bike quickly, without the plod, tractors, gravel etc...all the time with the option of tuition.

I'm usually quick in the Experienced group so lets face it, it's not usually a fast pace in any group, and as I say it's about riding the lines more than laptime.

The Tuesdays I think will be a bit more normal. But still it's road bikes, road tyres and no warmers all around. Safe, smooth, speed. There will be some coaching available to the cautious that are building speed but the fast and inters are likely to be a step on from Monday's as they bed in their track knowledge and start to explore more performance.

There are less red flags and issues on these days than any other. Most riders are patient and there's no dive bombing. So you get more track time without fear...many who start here go onto do more trackdays and lets be honest that's where these RR's excel! This is a brilliant way to start.

It's worth watching the bins ride at Cadwell here; note he's not slow but it all looks easy and controlled.

Application forms should be requested via a mail to [email protected]

We'll try to get the RR Forum together in the same area and out on the track.

Last edited:
Echo what Alex says.

Fast group is a good pace for road bikes. I usually run at around the front. On a normal trackday (on road tyres) I am mid to lower fast group if that helps give an indication of pace.

Inters - if you are a decent rider already you might get a little frustrated with some of the slower riders, but ideal if you are a good pace but not used to tracktime and want to learn the lines.

Cautious - only if you have never been on track and poo yourself throwing a leg over. Or you will get bored.

There is some flexibilty on the day moving up and down groups depending on numbers.

Anyone riding aggressively to the detriment of other riders (i.e. cutting up, bombing) is 'spoken to' and repeat offenders are not allowed back on track. I dont think it has ever got to that. Usually the first session or two sees some over exhuberance/willy waving which is quickly dealt with.

It is a very friendly atmosphere. The emphasis is on safety, improvement, smoothness, knowing the lines and getting into the flow of the track. Cadwell is a challenge for most riders due to the narrow undulating nature of the track, plus the mountain of course! It is a great track to improve road craft for those reasons.

We usually end up with a few riders from the forum going who congregate at some point. I suspect I will be doing some instruction along with Alex and would be happy to show anyone around the place.

Because it is road bike only the vast majority of us want to be able to get home afterwards and many ride there and back, so incidents are usually very rare. You also do not need to worry about other riders on 'track bikes' with *missing* V5s up your chuff thinking they are Rossi.

Hope this helps.

Alex and Andy, thanks for the write up, I still have lots of places on the Tuesdays, a few left for Mondays, R B.

If anyone books the Mondays and it cannot run you will be offered a refund or carry over for next year, R B.

My BMW Club Journal which arrived today was still showing Tuesdays 19th May and 29th June at Cadwell and 24th and 25th August at Snetterton - to be fair that might well have been the case when the mag went to print.

Rednine, you are correct, it goes to print weeks before we get it, I cannot imagine the May event will take place but if it does I need to cover costs, R B.

All events have sadly been cancelled for 2020.
You should have a mail confirming as much if you were signed up.

MSVT do road bike specific days which may interest those that don't like the idea of a full on trackday.

- Alex

Latest posts

Back