Touring Toolkit

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplejimmy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advise on what tools to take for on a tour? I know anything that can be done at the roadside it going to be pretty limited and will probably consist of wire wiggling and a lot of pointing but, I thought having some basic bits would be a good idea. We are going round Scotland for a week and will have limited space (2 backpacks and a 10ltr tank bag). Any thoughts on what's best to take? I thought maybe a couple of spanners, some chain lube, pliers, few torx bits maybe.

gaffa tape, wire, can of tyre weld, couple oextra torx keys, standard tool kit, front spindle key; i've got a kriega cube pack which takes most of the tools, i've put in a 3/8th socket wrench and a few bits and all special tools. spare levers are good if you got them. ventura luggage is good and easy to fit then you have plenty of space!

Torx Plus's, Screw Drivers, Metric Socket Set, insulation tape, tie wraps + wire snips and Chain Cleaner/lube should be enough for most

will probably consist of wire wiggling and a lot of pointing

Lol. If you are going to Scotland I wouldn't worry too much, they have dealers up there too :). On these bikes if you have a breakdown it is likely to require a ecu diag, fix and reset. If you have an 'off' then you'll need a torx screwdriver and some gaffer tape. Chain lube is a must, and maybe something for a flat tyre to get you to a fitter.

In my humble experience the most likely issue in Scotland is running out of fuel, so best advice is when you are out of the metropolitan areas to fill up every time you see a petrol station when you have room in the tank for more.

Yep re fuel for the remote places.
Most important thing after your bike key is midge repellant.
You will end up rocking back and fourth in a padded cell if you get attacked by them in the middle of nowhere and can't get away.

Cable ties, kept under seat.
Travel size Lube
Crafty Plugger, kept under seat.
1.5 metre of small dia plastic tube to siphon fuel, put under seat.
Spare key, given to mate and I have his spare.
Ex small pen knife.

No tools apart from what BMW supplied with bike.

Good point sir.

What do the locals use (other than effigys of Ms Sturgeon) to keep them off?
Lol or you can use an Avon product.
Fortunately I've only endured the little buggers once when I couldn't escape them on a fishing trip many years ago. Still makes me itch and twitch when I think about it.
If it's good enough for the marines...
Alternatively, I've been told that WD40 also works but I've never tried it. May keep them at bay for a while but the dermatitis might drive you mad afterwards lol.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/scotland...s-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

If it's good enough for the marines it's good enough for me, I have ordered some, thanks for the info.

Good calls ta.

Hadn't thought of midge repellent they do tend to like me so definitely worth getting some. I have got a plug kit so will stick that in. Cable ties and tape hadn't though of either.

Are those CO2 rapid inflators any good?

On the subject of tool kits , where is the toolkit on the 15 model ? Is it supposed to be under the pillion pad/ seat cowl ? I don't have one so will need to ask the dealer when it gets serviced.

On the subject of tool kits , where is the toolkit on the 15 model ? Is it supposed to be under the pillion pad/ seat cowl ? I don't have one so will need to ask the dealer when it gets serviced.

Yes it's under the pillion seat/cowl. Mine was wedged down the right hand side as you face the rear of the bike. Quite easy to miss to be fair.

i have been looking at the Ventura rack system. They look quite tidy.

Yes it's under the pillion seat/cowl. Mine was wedged down the right hand side as you face the rear of the bike. Quite easy to miss to be fair.

i have been looking at the Ventura rack system. They look quite tidy.
Cheers will check it out .

Almost time for the off so here is what I went for:

SatNav mount - Telferizer - simple and effective ram mount for the top yoke. Highly recommend.

Tank bag - Wunderlich do lots of products designed for BMWs. They do what that mounts to the tank cover bolts so no need for magnets and such.

Luggage - Ventura luggage system - After some looking I went for this system. So easy to fit, it took about 20mins and it looks about as good as bolting a luggage rack to a sports can get. Very pleased.

Luggage - Kriega - Expensive but, I managed to get a US-40 combo from ebay used once for a discount and I am glad I did. Quality and so well made and easy to link up the bags.

Tyres - M7RR - Brand new on for the trip in place of the K3s

full

Your luggage and rack look brilliant, as you said for a sports bike. I have a couple of Kriega bags and they are so good both in construction and ease of use. Enjoy you trip bud

Latest posts

Back