S1000RR EML - Oxygen control sensors

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toonshorty

Reaction score
My S1K turns three this month and is conveniently throwing a small tantrum just before the warranty expires. When I booked it in for a service a year ago, I'd been having a strange issue where the power would fluctuate slightly whilst holding a steady throttle (I have also observed this whilst using cruise control). It isn't a sudden sharp lurch or anything like that, more that if you were riding on flat ground at 70mph holding a steady throttle, it would then suddenly pick up the power slightly and accelerate up to 75 or so. Likewise, it can sometimes go in the opposite direction as well and lose a small amount of power whilst holding a steady throttle. Naturally this would happen to some extend as roads undulate, but this is more of a smooth but abrupt change in power, albeit a small amount. I had also had an EML pop up at one stage, although this cleared itself and so whilst I made the dealer aware, I didn't think too much of it at the time. Having reported this, the dealership took the usual approach of ignoring the problem and just doing a software update hoping that fixes things. It did feel like the issue was maybe somewhat improved since the service, but it was still noticable.

I've managed to get the bike connected up to ISTA using an ENET cable and pull some of the current codes from memory. I suspect the previous ones were cleared by the dealer during the service so I don't know what those were. The first code in terms of mileage triggered at around 6000 miles and was code 3A1C18 (Oxygen control sensor 1). This seems to relate to 'Digital Motor Electronics detects irregularities in the pump current'. I can't remember at the time whether this triggered an EML, but if it did then this appeared to clear itself.

Fast forward a year and around 2000 miles later, and I took the bike on a trackday at Silverstone. I had removed the front mirrors and the tail, and covered them using the OEM blanking parts (77318404052) and inserted the provided plugs for the front indicator and tail cables. The bike was absolutely fine all day, until half way through the last session when the engine management light came back on (and has remained stuck on ever since). The codes that have been logged since this time are:

3A1C12Oxygen control sensor 1Digital Motor Electronics detects a line disconnection.
8796mi
3A1C22Oxygen control sensor 2Digital Motor Electronics detects a line disconnection.8750mi
3A1C23Oxygen control sensor 2Digital Motor Electronics detects a line disconnection.8795mi
3A1C25Oxygen control sensor 2Digital Motor Electronics detects a line disconnection.8829mi
3A1C33
Oxygen control sensor 1Digital Motor Electronics detects a drop below / non-compliance with the operating temperature of the front oxygen sensor. The fault is detected if the operating temperature of the front oxygen sensor is not reached or maintained.8829mi

There are also some codes for the missing tail/brake lights and indicators (800E8E) but these are expected.

I'm not sure what would cause both front (control) sensors to show as disconnected. I haven't checked fuses yet, but I would have thought a blown fuse somewhere would cause more codes than just these two sensors. I've had a brief (uneducated) look through the wiring diagram, but it looks as if both sensors (B419 and B655) connect to the DME seperately through their own connectors, so it would seem unlikely for both to become physically disconnected at around the same time. The only other thing I can think is that is that the heat from a full day on track has ultimately killed both the sensors. Although if a handful of 20 minute intermediate track sessions is enough to kill the O2 sensors on an RR then I'd question how long any replacement parts will last.

It's going in for a diagnostic, service, and MOT in a couple of weeks, although they have quoted ?340 for the service! It was around ?216 the year previous and the only addition this time round that I can see is that they are also replacing the air filter, but that looks to be a fairly cheap part and isn't too big a job to change. I'm half-tempted to see what the cost would be if I were to change the filter myself and fit a K&N BM-1019.

Regardless, I've not been able to find much information regarding those codes. Is there anything straightforward that I could/should be checking, or is it just a case of letting the dealership have at it and see what they find? I'm not sure whether or not the power fluctuation issue is related to the O2 sensors, but if so then that would indicate that these have been problematic for a couple of years before eventually failing entirely.

Has anyone else had any similar issues with the K67 at all? TIA

Latest posts

Back