Suspension settings for Gen 2

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick753

Reaction score
Just out of interest, anyone got any suspension settings for fast road use that they have tried that work that I can use as a base line?

My sags seem to be pretty much in the right area but having tried a few adjustments to the compression and rebound at both ends I don't seem to be able to dial out a bit of chatter that i am getting on the front due to a lack of rebound, the problem is that both ends really need adjusting as i am starting to generate handling issues the harder I push her and the Metzeler Roadtec 01's that i have been trying are now starting to lend a hand highlighting them too :D

I have tried the base settings and also the stiffer settings from the manual but just wondered if there were any other 90kg riders out there that have settled on some settings that I could try whilst I pull my finger out and go and get the suspension set up properly in the very near future :)

7/7 was what I used on the stock setup. 7 Rebound 7 Compression. No idea what my preload was.

Sorry just the front.

I have the old rear shock still, I'll check what it's set to when home but I think it was 5/6 outer/inner.

Cheers i'll give them a try, it certainly can't be any worse than it is at the moment :)

Supercorsas will be going on shortly as the rear tyre is starting to look more like a car tyre in terms of shape and that isn't helping matters :D

Just to be clear, correct weight springs are needed really. And I'm not saying my settings are definitive, seemed ok though.

Aye, in fairness the springs should work well enough with my weight and there doesn't seem to be much of a problem on the amount they are soaking up, they are compressing to where I think they should be but the rebound is horrendous and I am wanting to try and fine tune it a bit by compensating with compression as well (purely to try and find a happy medium).

But it's definitely going to have to go and get setup properly.

Some of the problem is definitely down to the Roadtecs as the profile is very flat, almost to the point that tipping into a corner feels like they are now squared off which means that any pushing on them whilst leant over is making the bike twitch a bit more than normal, very likely due to the temperature being higher on the roads and me also pushing them harder.

The sports tyre profile is massively different so it wouldn't surprise me if i threw the Super Corsas back on and it wasn't an instant improvement but the chatter will still need looking at :)

The tyres do sound like a contributing factor!

OK so I've checked the shock.
10mm Pre-Load (I'm 90Kgs in gear).
6 OUTER
5 INNER

Got it backwards before.

If you think the tyres are an issue then defo change them. I thought you were getting on well with the roadtecs?

I struggled like hell as well tbf. The rear worked well once sag was set right but the front was awful. Bike was coming back at me in bends and felt very unstable. Spent weeks trying to get it to feel planted but couldnt. In the end i bought bitubo forks and lets just say "problem solved"

Last edited:
If you think the tyres are an issue then defo change them. I thought you were getting on well with the roadtecs?

The tyres work perfectly for your average ride, but having done around 2000 miles on them now they are slightly squarer than you want on a sportsbike for the sort of riding i have been doing since coming back from tbe NW200, i have found the limit of traction on them a few times lately particularly when i have used slick mode and to keep some sort of shape to the rear tyre i am having to use 42psi in it which is a little too much for my liking on warm days/roads.

I'll try and make some headway with the suspension first before switching the tyres anyway :)

Latest posts

Back