Thinking of buying a 2023

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant you set up a pro mode to be the same as the road mode so you can adjust the suspension?

Once in Pro Modes you effectively switch off the DDC, it stops being "active". Or reduced in "activity " by 90%. You may as well have the standard forks. And as Alex points out, you also switch off some of the road functions. Its bonkers and is the (only) main gripe I have.

In the pre'23 you lose bluetooth/nav in the pro modes. Which is why people stick to the defaults.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Is your bike different Alex re the road functions?

Did you get chance to see if you can alter the DDC in road modes?

Is your bike different Alex re the road functions?

Did you get chance to see if you can alter the DDC in road modes?
Cannot change the suspension in the default modes.

The '23+ keeps all functions in the Pro modes. I believe this can be retrofitted...

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

I see why could think that.
I get annoyed about all the reviews online saying how great the s1000rr is a im convinced a few are sponsored by bmw!
They are great bikes, the reason i bought one was because they are great bikes.
But no bike is perfect.
And I feel like an honest review is whats needed if your going to part with over 18 grand for a bike.

I wouldn't expect too much from the standard forks fitted to the M model. The manually adjusted marzocchis fitted to the base 1299 were rubbish. And I think the only way to sort them out was with new uprated guts, or ideally fit Ohlins.

Interesting watch. Thanks for the honest review.
I will have to make another video in time because I believe the suspension isnt as bad as I fitst thought, it seems i need to learn more about it and try and find out 100% if the ddc does get fiexed in pro modes, if it does this is fantastic as i can set it up exactly for me and then just switch to rain mode if i need a bit more comfort.
On a side note i am well happy with the way you can change the suspension whilst riding, not just the modes but you can change the damping for the mode your in whilst on the move to get a real comparrison.
Not sure if that was possible on the 22?

Yes its exactly same on previous Gen..Only difference with 23 is you can still use the App when in Pro modes.

And the screen stays where you left it when you switch back on again.

What i noticed when i borrowed the new 23 bike

Also the rpm gauge flashes as a shift light as well as the shift light whereas on the previous years it only flashes when you creep into the redline and are close to the hard limiter.

Took one out yesterday to confirm if I really wanted to jump ship as tried all sorts to gel with my 2020 to no avail.

Pleasantly surprised to find it turns so much better than mine which was the main problem, so the minor geometry changes seemed to be the reason.

Changes down when on gas sweetly ( as I found out a few times forgetting it was standard not reverse shift which sent the dash into full blown a light show) shifting was a lot smoother.

Backs into turns/roundabouts easier ..... JOKE ! CAN'T SEE ME EVER USING THAT AID LOL

Sat IN the bike more which cramped my knees but I have a taller seat on mine

Race mode was missing, no problem really as the pro modes take over.

Felt livelier but getting back on mine and riding the same wasn't so sure

Bars vibe more than mine

Overall, it changed my impressions a little. The only reason to change from mine I feel would be the handling (which should improve with further set up) and 3yr warranty.

Don't know, food for thought.

Took one out yesterday to confirm if I really wanted to jump ship as tried all sorts to gel with my 2020 to no avail.

Pleasantly surprised to find it turns so much better than mine which was the main problem, so the minor geometry changes seemed to be the reason.

Changes down when on gas sweetly ( as I found out a few times forgetting it was standard not reverse shift which sent the dash into full blown a light show) shifting was a lot smoother.

Backs into turns/roundabouts easier ..... JOKE ! CAN'T SEE ME EVER USING THAT AID LOL

Sat IN the bike more which cramped my knees but I have a taller seat on mine

Race mode was missing, no problem really as the pro modes take over.

Felt livelier but getting back on mine and riding the same wasn't so sure

Bars vibe more than mine

Overall, it changed my impressions a little. The only reason to change from mine I feel would be the handling (which should improve with further set up) and 3yr warranty.

Don't know, food for thought.

Maybe a run on mine at Brands with your seat will help.
Did you ride a M Sport with carbon wheels or a cast wheels?

Thanks bman, all good to know. The bar vibes are probably dependent on the bike and any slight differences when it was built. My gen 4 was less vibes than my gen3 but has got slightly worse with more miles whereas the gen 3 got better with miles.
Ukbmw, I found the suspension does soften with miles (and ambient temperature)

Last edited:
I will have to make another video in time because I believe the suspension isnt as bad as I fitst thought, it seems i need to learn more about it and try and find out 100% if the ddc does get fiexed in pro modes, if it does this is fantastic as i can set it up exactly for me and then just switch to rain mode if i need a bit more comfort.
On a side note i am well happy with the way you can change the suspension whilst riding, not just the modes but you can change the damping for the mode your in whilst on the move to get a real comparrison.
Not sure if that was possible on the 22?

What's your thoughts on it now?

What's your thoughts on it now?
Its definately under sprung in the front.
Unless you are light weight you need to uprate the springs.
For me im having to control travel by winding up the damping and its rock hard.
But the bike doesnt have that vague front end feeling like all older models so its still a better bike in general

How much do you weigh? I'm 90kg without kit and am struggling to use all the travel on damping 3.

How much do you weigh? I'm 90kg without kit and am struggling to use all the travel on damping 3.
Im 96kg without kit.
Under hard braking im bottoming out.
If i put it in pro mode I can stop it bottoming out but its not absorbing any bumps.

Out of interest, how much of the fork leg is left sticking out of the bottom of the fork stanchion when fully compressed? The shiny bit. This is mine after 3000 plus miles touring along quite bumpy roads and breaking into steep down hill hairpins. Am I only using half the available travel? Thats in Rain btw!

Latest posts

Back