Upshift issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Sorry if this has been covered to death in other posts but i couldnt find much information on this topic.
Ive been out a few times on this bike which is new to me so it could be something i am doing but ive been getting issues trying to shift up when hard on the power. Doesnt seem to happen in the lower gears but 4-5 and 5-6 seem to be the main offenders. When hard on the gas i will go to shift up around 10k for example and its hard to explain but sometimes it just wont shift up, the gear lever feels like its being locked out and the shift light will be flashing but it wont go up. I dont want to try and force it for fear of breaking something. It wont shift up until the revs drop and the shift light stops, it will shift up if the clutch is used. From what i could find online with regards to what it could be ive checked lever pull to make sure the micro switch isnt being activated and that seems to be fine i have to pull the lever a fair bit before i hear the switches click. I did find my shift lever was loose and it has been better since tightening it up but it has happened again since, ive also read that making sure you give it a good positive pull up on the lever is whats needed so ill try adjusting the position of the rear sets to get a better gear change. ive ordered a new chain and sprockets as ive read that chain slack can cause it sometimes. I do find the bike can be a pain in the arse to get into neutral and this can be down to the shift star? So maybe i need to look at that. Any other suggestions as its bloody terrifying when it happens or feels liek the bike is going to blow up so id really like to get it sorted. Thanks in advance for any help

Neutral is a common pain. Does the engine cut but doesn't shift? Could be a lazy left foot, not releasing the lever fully after the last shift Try exaggerating the release after shifting to eliminate this. Personally, I use reverse shift, it's easier lever down for changing up.

Worst, Could be a worn star selector. Only way to know is to take the gearbox apart... Easy to fix though.

Best, badly installed aftermarket levers.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Usually you can get to the star by removing the clutch which means you don?t have to trouble the gearbox. Gearbox would be if the problem was the selector drum or the selector forks themselves.

As Alex says earlier. Easy stuff to check first.

Is your clutch lever an aftermarket item? If so, has it been fitted properly? There is a microswitch behind the clutch lever, any tiny, tiny pressure on this and the shift assist won't work (especially in high gears when you are going fast - wind pushing the lever back onto the micro switch)
I suffered the same pain on the same bike when I swapped my clutch lever - the stock BMW lever is a silver one piece solid aluminium alloy. Make sure the play in the clutch lever is within spec - you can adjust it at the knurled knob at lever end(check the owners manual) and don't touch the clutch lever if you are trying to use shift-assist. Positive firm pressure on the shift lever, it will only go up or down one gear at a time so you can't mess it up, don't shift half-heartedly with your left foot.

Clutch play is a common one. Make sure of slack. For neutral there is a finding neutral thread on here somewhere but I find the 2 best options are go from 2nd to neutral when slowing just before you stop and if that doesn?t work then when in first push down on the peg then slide your foot off the side, the lever will bounce back, normally into neutral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious about the aftermarket levers, i fitted the hp4 levers pretty much the day after i got it so never experienced it doing this before i changed them over but ive checked best i can that the switch is not being activated. by that i mean i can pull on the lever a fair bit before i hear the microswitch click which in my mind would mean its activated and then would potentially cause the issue. ive also adjusted the clutch cable so its fairly tight that hasnt made any difference, ive even pushed the lever forward with my hand when its done it and that didnt help. Ive since adjusted my rearsets to see if that made a difference to give me a more positive change but that hasnt helped. Im very mindful to make sure i shift firmly then let it return so im just flipping it with my foot basically. Fitted new chain and sprockets but no difference. i did find a couple of things at the weekend i had it occur at lower speeds than usual its normally 130+ but it did it at about 90 when id been holding it in high revs in 4th shift light flashing but i didnt want to change so just held it in 4th and then when i did finally want to go up to 5th it was locked and wouldnt move. it does shift if you use the clutch or back off the throttle let the revs die then it will pop in. Also changed from street mode to race mode for first time on sunday, only rode for an hour or so but so far its not done it in race mode and i dont know if its in my head but the changes feel tighter and a bit more positive. Also upped the shift light setting but that didnt seem to help. Bike has had a Brentune flash but thats about at much as i know as the uk rep for BT is about as much use a chocolate fire guard. any ideas?

Latest posts

Back