MCN shoot out

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwobbler

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
The BM came out a disappointing 4th on track and was well and truly whooped by the new R1. The new BM could not even better the lap time set by the "old" ZX10!

Neeves ..... Sponsored by Yamaha ?... Who remembers when the Big Bang Yamaha came out? My god he was Deffo getting a back hander for that it was quite sickening!

Yeah it's very odd that they are saying the Beemer is around 2 seconds slower than the yam, especially given that they were using a control tyre (a set of the new Metzeler Racetec RR's I think). Makes you wonder if the yam was perfectly set up and the Beemer wasn't?

Maybe it's just a better bike.......
Doesn't Neeves race a BMW ? - sponsored by BMW ?

More sophisticated electronics maybe? Filtered down from Motogp? If that's the case good on Yamaha because Honda don't seem to be the slightest bit interested in fitting the Fireblade with any Motogp derived tech.

Who cares if the R1 was 2 secs a lap faster than the s thou after 2 days on track, MCN also said the BM was easily the most rounded road bike on test. I've owned 2 R1's, great bikes , and could have bought a new one instead of my RR but I haven't got the riding skill or desire to use that small track advantage the R1 has on the odd track day that I will do. What does matter to me is not having a numb arse, sore wrists, cold hands and having an auto blipper and half decent pillion carrying ability. The people I feel sorry for are new 1299S owners who've spent ?20k to find their bike is still uncomfortable and fickle on the road AND second best on track!

Doh.....people who want it for track care and 2 seconds a lap is a huge difference, not a small track advantage, as you put it.

Mate, first of all if you were serious about a new R1 for the track you'd have snapped up an R1M then spent ?000's prepping it, secondly I don't know how much track riding you've done but most track bikes are 10 year old Gixxers that people can afford to crash and virtually none of them have the ability to run at the pace where the difference between the new R1 and '15 RR times reported in MCN would matter.

Mate, first of all if you were serious about a new R1 for the track you'd have snapped up an R1M then spent ?000's prepping it, secondly I don't know how much track riding you've done but most track bikes are 10 year old Gixxers that people can afford to crash and virtually none of them have the ability to run at the pace where the difference between the new R1 and '15 RR times reported in MCN would matter.
spot on mate

Mate,
Did I say I was serious about getting an R1 for the track.....no I didn't. But you are correct it would be an R1M if I was.
Did I say or mention how much track time I have done....no I didn't...but now you mention it I've done lots.
It's a bit presumptuous to comment on "virtually everyones" ability...isn't it ?

You stated "who cares if the R1 is 2 sec a lap faster" - suggesting that you don't and you infer no one else cares - I merely said people who want a bike for track will care.
You also say the R1 track advantage is small....in my opinion 2 sec a lap is not small and that difference is quite noticeable.

It's tuff when your baby gets out done by a rival but it's a bitter pill that has to be swallowed, The R1 is simply a better bike and the M will be even better.
Talking about bitter pills and feeling sorry for people, this I understand as I have a Panigale R, now outdone by a 1299 and a 2012 S1K which is now been bettered by the 2015 model - and the R1 of course :)

I understand and accept what matters to you regarding the BMW (arse,wrists, autoblipper, pillion comfort) but not everyone is the same and what it does on the track matters to some......that's all I'm trying to say.

All this hype.... It stands to reason that technology moves on, last year s1k, this year r1, next year maybe 'blade, following year maybe Suzuki, I'm just pi$$ed orf that I wont be riding the best in 10yrs time when bikes are 250bhp out of the crate.

Mate,
Did I say I was serious about getting an R1 for the track.....no I didn't. But you are correct it would be an R1M if I was.
Did I say or mention how much track time I have done....no I didn't...but now you mention it I've done lots.
It's a bit presumptuous to comment on "virtually everyones" ability...isn't it ?

You stated "who cares if the R1 is 2 sec a lap faster" - suggesting that you don't and you infer no one else cares - I merely said people who want a bike for track will care.
You also say the R1 track advantage is small....in my opinion 2 sec a lap is not small and that difference is quite noticeable.

It's tuff when your baby gets out done by a rival but it's a bitter pill that has to be swallowed, The R1 is simply a better bike and the M will be even better.
Talking about bitter pills and feeling sorry for people, this I understand as I have a Panigale R, now outdone by a 1299 and a 2012 S1K which is now been bettered by the 2015 model - and the R1 of course :)

I understand and accept what matters to you regarding the BMW (arse,wrists, autoblipper, pillion comfort) but not everyone is the same and what it does on the track matters to some......that's all I'm trying to say.
Blimey that sparked a response! Lap times were far from my mind earlier this evening when I went out for a spin on the new steed, missing cars on the A1 while experimenting with the cruise control was my main focus.. :friendly_wink:

I bought a HP4 last september and had considered looking and waiting for the new R1.

Problem is the service back up and shit Yamaha garages here in SW France.

Blimey that sparked a response! Lap times were far from my mind earlier this evening when I went out for a spin on the new steed, missing cars on the A1 while experimenting with the cruise control was my main focus.. :friendly_wink:

Haha, that's the difference between us, Lap times is all I think about (well almost) room for everyone m8 :)
Cruise is the biz, I had it on a K1600 I had, fab tool....not for the track though.

Enjoy
Davy

Latest posts

Back