MCN shoot out

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a HP4 last september and had considered looking and waiting for the new R1.

Problem is the service back up and shit Yamaha garages here in SW France.

Ye you could wait and wait for the ultimate bike and die without ever having one. Fact is they are developing that quickly they are almost out of date the day you get them.

It also has "R1 IS KING ON ROAD, TRACK & DYNO" emblazoned across the front. Then when you actually read the article, it states that the S1000RR is the superior road bike. Slightly sensationalist from MCN as normal IMO.

The performance bikes issue where John McAvoy took it to the south of France is a proper review. Read that if you want a good article on the bike in what its like in the real world.

And to me (and the majority of other riders), the track "shootouts" are utterly irrelevant. The R1 is a few tenths quicker than the BM around Jerez. Wow! How very relevant that is to the disconcerting road rider...not.

It also has "R1 IS KING ON ROAD, TRACK & DYNO" emblazoned across the front. Then when you actually read the article, it states that the S1000RR is the superior road bike. Slightly sensationalist from MCN as normal IMO.

The performance bikes issue where John McAvoy took it to the south of France is a proper review. Read that if you want a good article on the bike in what its like in the real world.

And to me (and the majority of other riders), the track "shootouts" are utterly irrelevant. The R1 is a few tenths quicker than the BM around Jerez. Wow! How very relevant that is to the disconcerting road rider...not.

What he said 👆👆👍

Just returned from 3 days in Jerez. Before anyone gives me a critique - I spend 99% of my time on the road, get 1 (or 2) days a year on track and only have one eye on lap times. The bike was awesome. Everywhere. Obviously way better than me, but it made it all feel "safe". The gearbox and the auto blipper never missed a beat. I took me ages to find how late I could break and you just bang it down the gears. The only thing I would say, and they did point to this in MCN, is (even for me) the suspension in track mode was way too soft. It dived too much and rebounded too much. But (even for me) it was dead easy to adjust and make changes that had a positive effect. Now being supper picky (and bear in mind I got the thing serviced on the Friday with 550 miles on it and it was shipped out to the track on Sat) I don't think it pulls as well as my 2013 RR from 11K to 14K. Could just be me or it could just be my bike - I'll need to do some digging. All in all very very happy with it.
280315_6002_jerez_zpsqlogi03o.jpg
280315_6412_jerez_zps0jbjcmbx.jpg

Lookin good!

From what I've read about the new bike it seems to have been slightly dampened down for track in preference to every day usability, which I guess is where the money's at!

Nice little report and looking good in the pics :)
The new bike probably hasn't loosened off yet, I would expect it to be stronger all round in time.

I'm jealous, a brilliant way to spend a couple of days :encouragement:

Pucker that mate. I have to wait till Sept for my Spanish extravaganza with the s1000rr..

1st service tday, picked it up, paid, (180squid hurt) played with the settings before I left, max power in slick and max tc. Got a few miles away and the limiter was still on! Anyway, sorted that and had a play. Shift assist was awesome when changing down and lets you be smoother /later on the brakes which are awesome. Not enough room really for changing up with throttle pinned, still a delay which would be disconcerting on a sweeper. Clutch was nice and smooth from the lights, much better than my 2010 which was very grabby, daren't try the launch control in case I f****d up ! Left suspension in sport which was adequate for time being. Hoping to do snett on 7th to get a real feeling for it and see if it needs front fork level sensor so can separate compression front rebound as it's all lumped in one at the moment. All in all, feeling good so far.

Slightly off topic but since it's been mentioned....

Where is the best place to look for bike track days? Never been on track on a bike, been to Silverstone F1, Cadwell, Rockingham and Croft in a car which were booked through forums.

Do you just go on individual tracks websites and check or is there a website you use?

Any advice appreciated.

If you want a 'no nutter' option, Bins does a few trackdays via the bmw club each year with road only bikes. The good thing about them is you don't get many 'all the gear no idea' knobs who end up crashing or taking others out, it's a nice way to do a track day without pressure. I went twice last year and booked again for this year. If that's something you fancy suggest you send him a PM. Although I think there aren't many places left. If you do book let me know if you want to know where me and a couple of others have booked accommodation.

im at croft on the 20th, no limits who I always book with for normal trackdays. :).

Latest posts

Back