Worth it?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMD80

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, I?m hoping to finalise a deal tomorrow on a new RR Sport in black, and I could do with some advice.

The only ?extras? I?ve asked for are forged wheels and the m endurance chain. A couple of dealers have told me that to get the bike with forged wheels, it?s going to have to be a factory order which can take 12 weeks, and at which point they may need to re-value the trade in price for my current bike (which is a GS so I?m worried that the new model in September may lower the value of my model).

The dealer that has offered me the best deal so far has said that he can go even better if I?m happy to take a bike that he has in stock - which is black with the akra exhaust, chain, but standard wheels.

My question is, am I really missing out on not having forged wheels? I hear lots of good things, but never ridden a bike with forged wheels so I?m going only on what I hear. I?m an average rider who will likely do a couple of track days per year so I?m wondering whether I should take the bike they have in stock and save some cash plus get it sooner?

Thoughts welcomed and appreciated!

Honestly? I'd save the cash and forgo the forged wheels. I also had the option of forged / carbon but went for standard. Didn't fancy ruining a carbon / forged rim on todays cratered roads. I haven't had a second thought about the wheels now and don't regret it. Dealer reckons you'd be messing up your apex's anyway lol. I would of preferred a new factory build (just me being picky) but ended up with M billet package for free because there was a new one in another dealer. Saved the wait like you said. Oh and I also got ?500 knocked off for being cheeky lol.

Hi guys, I?m hoping to finalise a deal tomorrow on a new RR Sport in black, and I could do with some advice.

The only ?extras? I?ve asked for are forged wheels and the m endurance chain. A couple of dealers have told me that to get the bike with forged wheels, it?s going to have to be a factory order which can take 12 weeks, and at which point they may need to re-value the trade in price for my current bike (which is a GS so I?m worried that the new model in September may lower the value of my model).

The dealer that has offered me the best deal so far has said that he can go even better if I?m happy to take a bike that he has in stock - which is black with the akra exhaust, chain, but standard wheels.

My question is, am I really missing out on not having forged wheels? I hear lots of good things, but never ridden a bike with forged wheels so I?m going only on what I hear. I?m an average rider who will likely do a couple of track days per year so I?m wondering whether I should take the bike they have in stock and save some cash plus get it sooner?

Thoughts welcomed and appreciated!

They are a nice to have, I ordered mine from the factory with them.
However, the Akra exhaust is saving you more weight. And if you leave that alone (don't fit a decat system) its worth far more.

I would also say that if you decide to get serious about track or you want to experience the increased "flickability" of the lighter rims then you can just buy a set of rims later. You could then run those on the track/dry days and fit more sport touring/wet tyres to the cast rims. Dymag, OZ, Titax are all decent forged rims. I picked up a set of OZ GASS wheels from RyS1000RR recently and they are definitely a step on from the BMW HP forged items in terms of weight and bizarrely ease of fitment.

Thanks guys. That?s really good to hear! I didn?t fancy the wait, but also didn?t want to forgo the forged wheels and then regret it. Sounds like saving the extra cash and getting the bike now is the way to go! Thanks again.

I have had the Forged wheels on both my gen 3 and gen 4 and they have been superb. I had them on my Gen 3 and had since 2015 and done nearly 30k on the bike and a lot of Track days. The amount of tyre changes them wheels have had I have lost count and they still looked like new. I would recommend them to anyone.

Being an old git, I'm past buying bling if there's no function for it. Bought my s1k m-sport (ex demo) which already had the carbon wheels and I have to say they do make a difference but mainly on track. Had a front rim crack in a pothole but probably partly my fault running lower pressures.

I?ve had standard, forged and carbon wheels, and I have to agree with the others in that if the deal is right now for a bike with standard wheels just go for it imo

Thank you all for replies, much appreciated. I?ve called the dealer to agree a deal with the standard wheels. Managed to save around ?1500 on list price, which I was very pleased with. I?m going to sign the paperwork tomorrow!

Set of Dymag or Titax can be had for not much more than you saved ;) needs discs and tyres mind...

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

I?ll add them to the list! As an aside, Alex, where did you get the decals/graphics that you put on your front fairing (as seen in another thread)? They look great!

Latest posts

Back