Tyres for my S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode the tyres brand new 180 miles to the circuit the night before. Rode through warm dry and then wet roads at normal speeds. From the get go the tyres were very stable and I was getting good grip from them immediately. In the rain the tyres performed well with no slips. I bought these instead of the SCs I had on from the factory because the tread pattern on the M7s promised more wet grip, whereas the SCs are near useless in the wet.

The track day consisted of 20 minute sessions each hour, with a total of 2 hours on track. Conditions were perfect, slightly overcast, 21C, light winds. My pace was 'quick' (about 2.20), but not superbike pace (1.55). In race mode the TC intervened on the rear wheel at most slow corner exits when I nailed the throttle. On all corners, including a fast very long right hander with a late apex the front remained stable and tracked true. At no point did the front let go. Under heavy breaking the front remained planted and there was no ABS intervention. I was running normal road tyre pressures throughout.

On the way home I took pictures of the tyres for comparison:

Although the pictures might not show it very well there was some 'roughing' of the surface on the tyres as you would expect from track action.

Last night I gave the bike a full clean and check over and the tyres look hardly used. So after 400 miles and 2 hours of track time, thats not bad at all.

Compared to the SCs I had on the bike from factory I didn't noticed any less front end grip from the M7s, but maybe a little less rear, but it is marginal. For the added miles I should get from the tyres and their wet abilities I am very happy with the choice and would recommend them.

Mmm this is interesting. Compared to mine post track day they are pristine!

REAR - ignore the light colour in the centre (garage dust) - nicely melted edge.
edit

edit

edit

FRONT - notice the graining? 2 distinct bands
edit

edit

edit

Seems loading images on GoogleDrive is a fail... right click and open image in new tab.
Yes the garage is a mess!

I've done about 3000 miles now on pilot power 3's, will definitely be buying another set. Cracking road tyre.

BMW fit Metzeler,Contis' or BT016.

Tell them you are not happy and you want them changed.At worst,see what their demo bike is on and have them!

Following this thread closely as I pick mine up on Monday and not sure what boots it will have on interestingly the demo had bt016s on which seemed fine but in saying that I didn't thrash it.

I have 16s on my bike which is what it came with - will be looking at PR4s when needed as I commute 40 miles each day all year round so need a good all rounder. PR3s on my old 600rr coped pretty well so hoping for good things. Id like to put the Sports on but doubt they will last with my commute :(

When mine arrived at had the bt's on. I have another bike with k3's on so I was a bit weary of the Bridgestones. After doing 600 miles on them they seem not to bad. I felt they took a lot of scrubbing in though. Normally I can scrub a set of tyres in, in about 50 miles but these took a lot longer. For general road use I'd say the Bridgestones are fine. However I think if your going to track your bike something a bit stickier would be a good idea.

I have just had a read through the thread and feel even more confused now, i have a 2014 model with Bridgestone BT016's on and will need to replace them in the next month or so. I am mainly a road rider and only in the summer no wet weather if i can help it. On my previous bike (R6) had Michelin 2CT's fitted with out any issues. What are peoples thoughts on the 2CT's or should i look elsewhere.

Thanks all.

Hi guys, I had a set of the new Racetec K3 RR's fitted last month. So far I have done about 200 miles on them and they feel great. I have the previous version of the K3 on another bike I own and have no complaints. Frankly they stick like shit to a blanket. I ride only in the dry and also do a few trackdays. I previously had a set of Supercorsa SP's fitted to my S1000RR and they were also great. I have also run Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's on my other bike and they are a great tyre to. I'm personally not a Michelin fan. Only thing I'll maybe do next time is go to a 200 section tyre.

Bridgestone RS10

The new Bridgestone RS10 is a very good road and trackday tyre. That said if your bike spends more time on track than the road the Pirelli Supercorsa SP is better in terms of outright grip especially at Fast Group pace.

Latest posts

Back