Battery recommendations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAF

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 gen4 Msport; always kept the Li charger on over winter, but only intermittently in summer. Have previously left it for several weeks without charger, but has always started. Used the bike last week, no charger put on her since, today charger tells me there's a fatal battery problem and won't charge - gutted!

Off to Le Mans in June, camping - no charger facilities there! What do you guys reckon, should I fault trace/work around this current situation or replace the battery. If replace, any recommendations on alternatives/OE, and from where please?!

Cheers all

Not sure how long the LI batteries last yet. My 2021 Li has been resuscitated twice by BMW recovery after falling to a charge level below what the charger will recognise, and I think I have jump started it from another bike (if it wasn't my LI then it was a proper battery in another bike. If it was the LI bettery then the manual that told me it was OK to do that). The same Li battery still works fine, but I don't leave it off the charge for more than 10 days, which is a PITA, but I know it'll die if I don't. The first time this happened was 2-3 weeks after delivery.

Not sure the bike has fallen in value enough yet to get a decent insurance quite if I rip out the tracker that mostly causes the drain issues....

If you go for a new battery, I've never had an issue with Shido LiFeP04 offerings.
I'd replace the battery for peace of mind.

Not sure how long the LI batteries last yet. My 2021 Li has been resuscitated twice by BMW recovery after falling to a charge level below what the charger will recognise, and I think I have jump started it from another bike (if it wasn't my LI then it was a proper battery in another bike. If it was the LI bettery then the manual that told me it was OK to do that). The same Li battery still works fine, but I don't leave it off the charge for more than 10 days, which is a PITA, but I know it'll die if I don't. The first time this happened was 2-3 weeks after delivery.

Not sure the bike has fallen in value enough yet to get a decent insurance quite if I rip out the tracker that mostly causes the drain issues....
Yeah, thanks Rick; I'd read your previous posts about your troubles, but even then thought that a 3.5 year old battery should be better than this. As you say though, that blooming tracker - especially in a garage with intermittent signal! But it's coped prior to this week.

If you go for a new battery, I've never had an issue with Shido LiFeP04 offerings.
I'd replace the battery for peace of mind.
Cheers Alex, yes, peace of mind will weigh heavily on the decision, especially with touring trips ahead! I'd seen the Shido one - any particular outlet, or are prices relatively stable across them all?

I just shop about on eBay/Google. No specific supplier.

Also I recommend LiFeP04 Jump packs for travel as they are light and compact. i.e. something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-Tools-83850400-Starter-Power/dp/B076615FJZ could get you out of a jam and can charge phones etc when not needed for jumping. I've started my own bike on one of these before.

I have a 2020 gen4 Msport; always kept the Li charger on over winter, but only intermittently in summer. Have previously left it for several weeks without charger, but has always started. Used the bike last week, no charger put on her since, today charger tells me there's a fatal battery problem and won't charge - gutted!

Off to Le Mans in June, camping - no charger facilities there! What do you guys reckon, should I fault trace/work around this current situation or replace the battery. If replace, any recommendations on alternatives/OE, and from where please?!

Cheers all
Some basics about Li batteries. They don't like being topped up when in storage. Så wintering connected to the charger is not doing good for the battery. You should rather drain the battery to 50-60% and disconnect. Li batteries has next to nothing of self consumption, so you can basicly forget about the battery for years. Recharge when putting it back in service.

Best to get the BMW charger and use the Connected app to monitor your battery. You will get notification when it needs charging. Then, and only then, connect to your smart charger and charge to 100% (the Connected app will let you know when that happens). Then disconnect the charger. Do not, EVER, leave a LiFEPo battery permanently connected to your charger.

Latest posts

Back