Track bike questions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midrange

Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I joined the forum recently and have a few questions about my new Bike.

It’s a 2013 and it’s going to be a track bike.

Does anybody have any recommendations for full systems for a track bike?
I was leaning towards an Akrapovic system as they generally have a good reputation for not being too noisy, which is the big issue these days.

I’ve read a bit about ECU flashing and will probably take this route when I get a system fitted.
Has anybody used the ‘race calibration kit’ or know what enhancements it allows when re-mapping the ECU?

BMW alarm removal – how to do this? I’m suspecting it may have to go to the dealer for this?

Spare wheels - these seem quite rare and pricey so if anybody is upgrading to forged or carbon and wants to claw back some cash from their originals, let me know.

I’m sure there’ll be more questions as the build starts.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Hi fellas,
I joined the forum recently and have a few questions about my new Bike.

It’s a 2013 and it’s going to be a track bike.

Does anybody have any recommendations for full systems for a track bike?
I was leaning towards an Akrapovic system as they generally have a good reputation for not being too noisy, which is the big issue these days.

I’ve read a bit about ECU flashing and will probably take this route when I get a system fitted.
Has anybody used the ‘race calibration kit’ or know what enhancements it allows when re-mapping the ECU?

BMW alarm removal – how to do this? I’m suspecting it may have to go to the dealer for this?

Spare wheels - these seem quite rare and pricey so if anybody is upgrading to forged or carbon and wants to claw back some cash from their originals, let me know.

I’m sure there’ll be more questions as the build starts.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Length of can seems to effect the noise output most - I have a full Arrow Ti system and it has a removable baffle for these awkward meetings - I have never needed to use it but I have only used my local track - Knockhill and Almeria in Spain. I'll know more this year.

I've had my ECU reflashed at Hilltop but not ridden the bike yet (on paper it looks fantastic and Geoff certainly knows his stuff) - see my other posts relating to this. Geoff at Hilltop did say that you lose out on mid range bhp by around 8 if you do not use the original headers, i.e. lose the front valve. Was to late for me as I had the system fitted but I'm really happy with what I have.

Wheels - BSB stopped using 16.5" this year, I picked up a set of BST carbons and a shed load of tyres for a great price, intention to get through the tyres then swap the BST's to wets then use the 17" from then on in.

No idea about the Alarm or race calibration kit but for the kit I'm think you need the race ECU - look on Alpha Racing web site.

Regards
Davy

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers Davy,

I'd resigned myself to having to use a long can, it's not worth the hassle if they're a bit noisy. If only all my track days were in Spain!
I'll maybe ask Hilltop about the best system. Standard headers seem to have caught up with the aftermarket ones in the last few years.
Good idea with the tyres, makes sense if you get the wheels cheap and a load of tyres too.

I asked about the race calibration kit because, from what I've read, it sounded to me like it was more of a tool to be used with the race ECU. If there's not too much that can be changed on the std ECU then it doesn't seem to make much sense fitting it.

I have a while to find all my answers and get the bike ready (done by others!). I might be able to get out early April but if not, it won't be until later in May, so plenty of time.

Thanks again.

Alarm removal is a ten minute job: it's a simple plug and play system, so, very straightforward. I'll PM you the info - GB.

No problem - glad to help - get Sideshow to call me if any problem - ,but HE won't have,he's good!!

Akrapovic if you want hassle free on a trackday. Even passes oulton without the baffles.

Hilltop is good.

Did wonder myself about the calibration kit & it seems to work on std uk ecu but not sure what you'd gain from it.

Akrapovic if you want hassle free on a trackday. Even passes oulton without the baffles.

Hilltop is good.

Did wonder myself about the calibration kit & it seems to work on std uk ecu but not sure what you'd gain from it.

What akra system are you talking about paul? i have a decat with short akra can and tested at 110.9db!

+1for Hilltop, Geoff knows his stuff.

Hilltop is good.

I take it you mean a full system with a big can, Paul? It seems the only way these days. As long as I can get past the Oulton test I'll be happy, I'll avoid any track days quieter than that and save my money for a Spanish trip:unconscious:
The bike came with the calibration kit so I thought I'd try to see if it was worthwhile keeping but everything I've read points to it being the access to the race ECU.

thanks

Not sure about the calibration kit. From what im hearing v2 calibration kit can be used with std ecu except for usa. Dont know about v1.

I've seen the power kit listed at around £2500 but I'm not going to be getting one. I only asked about the calibration kit because it came with the bike but I don't think I'll get any use out of it by the sound of it.
I'll just get an exhaust sorted, get it mapped and ride it. Thanks.

To those who know, would I be correct in assuming that any dash warning lights I may cause to come on by disconnecting lights, exhaust valve servo motors etc. can be turned off when the ECU is flashed, or do I need to find and fit resistors?

2012 bike onwards its down via the menu on the dash.
Pre 2012 its a trip to the dealers to turn it off.

To all those who were good enough to answer some of my earlier questions and those contemplating doing the same, here are a few of the things I've found with the bike on track so far.

First time out was at Cadwell back in April, cold and windy April. Aren?t heated grips great?
Compared to my last track bike, a Fireblade, the BMW felt like a hyper 600, revvy, quicker steering and so powerful. It was lifting the front wheel almost everywhere and it?s very fast. I had Colin Leeder at 100% suspension look the bike over and make some adjustments after the first session and it did improve the feel for me.
I had the bike set up at Hilltop prior to Cadwell but, due to time constraints, ended up rushing to find a can which would be quiet enough for the Cadwell noise tests and that would also do Oulton (102db) and Silverstone (their own unique rules). We settled upon a can from A16 exhausts which is a low angle cone type (as pictured) and it did the trick.
S1000rr #1.jpg
I had a few first day niggles, mainly with the Diamond rearsets which I was trying in race shift mode. I found the rose joints on these rearsets to be quite low grade and a bit ?sloppy? and a change to some better quality rose joints has made all the difference.
I didn?t have any problem with the quickshifter and found it OK after not really getting on with the HM one I had on the Fireblade.
Everything else just worked fine. I had Brembo HPKs on the Blade but I think the standard brakes on the BMW are a match for them, stunning, especially with dual carbon pads. (Galfer discs).
Next outings were at Almeria, Silverstone and 2 days at Croft.
I had a little play with the modes at Almeria and tried ?race? just to see if the traction control was working OK. I found TC to be on too much in race mode so put it in slick and left it there since. Even slick mode sees the light coming on quite a bit.
All went well and without issue although I never really found my way around Silverstone as it was my first time there and it?s a hard place to learn.
Croft has gotten bumpy (and more abrasive?) since I was last there and I almost did a (very good) rear scrub in one day.
I think I?ll try some aftermarket suspension through the winter and hopefully this might be a bit kinder to the tyres but other than this I really can?t find anything to complain about.
Next big outing is at Brno where I think learning the track will be more on my mind than the bike, can?t wait though.
Has anybody taken a track bike to BMW for servicing or tried for warranty claims whilst dressed up as a track bike?

Latest posts

Back