Tracking my bike ride

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwobbler

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone use an app or device to track their geographical position in real time when out riding their bike? Something that would show your position to your nearest and dearest if the worst happens.
I'm due to start a tour of Spain and Portugal later this year, and for the first time, I'll be on my own. I want to be able to share my location (real time) in case I end up in a ditch so 1) someone knows I've not moved for a while and 2) they can see where I am.
I've got an Android phone. It needs to be data light as I don't have loads of data on my plan. Free to use would be good! I also don't want to scare the life out of the Mrs with false alarms.
I'm interested in what people use and how they find it.
TIA

Thank Alex, will have a look at that.
Kam, unfortunately no iPhone, it's a Samsung. Someone did show me the find my feature on their iPhone and it looked quite good.

Wobbler hi, I used the BMW app for what you describe above but only for 2 day trips, and this was my experience.
I liked that I could download all the maps in advance from home using wifi, so then I wouldnt have to use mobile data when out and about, also good how it can link to the screen of the Bike so if I ever get lost I can see directions direct from my bike screen. Basically having NAV.
My biggest complaint was the battery drain on the phone. Generally any app that uses GPS location drains alot of battery, fast! So unless you have a way to charge your phone whilst riding I wouldnt use any method of the above that would involve your phone using a GPS signal. My reason was God forbid you end up in a ditch or hurt you will need your phone to access emergency service and send your location to help you (Pressing the power button on your phone 5 times in the space of 3-4 seconds activates EMS on Android phones, your location gets sent to your selected persons, video and photo and camera is enabled and could mean the difference between making it or not if the worst happens in the Black Forest in Germany..)
I now use Alex's method which is an external GPS device linked to my phone. Generally you cant go wrong with what Alex proposes, hes quite the professor! :victorious::victorious:
Just my 2 cents of course.

Wobbler hi, I used the BMW app for what you describe above but only for 2 day trips, and this was my experience.
I liked that I could download all the maps in advance from home using wifi, so then I wouldnt have to use mobile data when out and about, also good how it can link to the screen of the Bike so if I ever get lost I can see directions direct from my bike screen. Basically having NAV.
My biggest complaint was the battery drain on the phone. Generally any app that uses GPS location drains alot of battery, fast! So unless you have a way to charge your phone whilst riding I wouldnt use any method of the above that would involve your phone using a GPS signal. My reason was God forbid you end up in a ditch or hurt you will need your phone to access emergency service and send your location to help you (Pressing the power button on your phone 5 times in the space of 3-4 seconds activates EMS on Android phones, your location gets sent to your selected persons, video and photo and camera is enabled and could mean the difference between making it or not if the worst happens in the Black Forest in Germany..)
I now use Alex's method which is an external GPS device linked to my phone. Generally you cant go wrong with what Alex proposes, hes quite the professor! :victorious::victorious:
Just my 2 cents of course.

Thanks LeDuke, all great advice, especially the EMS thing. I use a dedicated sat nav. I like it and it works for me. But I see the benefits of using the BMW system. Good point re the phone battery life, I'll need to do something about that.

Latest posts

Back