Gen 2 Bmw S1000rr track bike and 2007 Ducati 1098

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesifume

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought this in April or May this year , Its been a track bike since it was bought, Ktech Front, rear, steering damper, HM Quickshifter , alpha racing and Harris bits , full akra ti system

aabce4ba-0675-459f-9315-f4d7e27970a8.jpg

First ride on it was Portimao in June and I've had it in Mondello Race Circuit, Bishopscourt Race circuit and its just shipped out yesterday for Jerez next week and will be in Andalucia next month

AL4-4864.jpg

The 1098 i bought in May or June in 2020 and it was my track and road bike and has done 6 days in Mugello, days in Mondello, Andalucia and Monteblanco

c0118257-5820-4a44-b3f2-69a10ce4dd88.jpg

yes-6-Copy-2.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting to know the BMW more

The difference being ?

Chalk and chese

the 1098 is like a dance, its emotional and evocative , as it is a road bike but with a good suspension setup it is still softer than the BMW

the noise, the drive out of corners, it is a beautiful thing

I just had the BMW at Jerez and it is an absolutely fantastic peice of kit, it has race suspension and it just all works so good , it completely overpowerd the metzeler TD slick that i had on for the first few sessions, TC light flicking on in my periphereal , the back sliding and moving , crossed up bars at one point out of the huge right hander that leads onto the back straight

i changed the metzeler out for Dunlop KR106-3 scrubs and the bike just drove on the far superior compound , superior top the Td slick, i have a set of Mezeler race slicks to go on and i am sure they wil be phenomenal

the BMW has handling, power , brakes, for days it is a brilliant peice of kit but not as emotional as the ducati in its prescence and use

it broke its chain in the second half of day two so i used a Ducati 959 and a Yamaha MT10 for the rest of the trip as the chain links buried themselves into the engine like cars on a foggy morning motorway crash and put a small hole in it

https://i.postimg.cc/FswKszWS/AL5-5411.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/h4prwWC6/AL4-5221.jpg

The drive grip from KR's is phenomenal. The mighty V02's can't match this area imo but the Bridgestone front is probably the best.
The original Metzeler TD's are the only tyre I have crashed on, on track...at Jerez T1. I've not tried the newer ones, but they are going to lack the ultimate grip as they are supposed to last 2-4x longer than other slicks.
W.R.T. the chain was it a 520? How old was it and which model? I keep thinking about a 520 conversion (because the range of sprockets is usually better. But stories of breaks because of the power and grip of I4 1000's it puts me off.

AL5-5411.jpg
The drive grip from KR's is phenomenal. The mighty V02's can't match this area imo but the Bridgestone front is probably the best.
The original Metzeler TD's are the only tyre I have crashed on, on track...at Jerez T1. I've not tried the newer ones, but they are going to lack the ultimate grip as they are supposed to last 2-4x longer than other slicks.
W.R.T. the chain was it a 520? How old was it and which model? I keep thinking about a 520 conversion (because the range of sprockets is usually better. But stories of breaks because of the power and grip of I4 1000's it puts me off.

Yes the difference in the Dunlop grip and drive to the TD slick is instantaneous for such power , they are a brilliant tyre though , I ran the 1098 on a TD Slicks at Mugello and andalucia, the front did 9 days and each rear did 4.5days , i swapped the rear at mugello the second trip out as the tyre was really moving around but the track temp was 58 degrees in fairness . For a certain power range the TD slicks are a brilliant option and the ywere recommended to me originally by friends that were using them on s1000rrs at portimao doing 2.00 minute laps and they lasted them 3 days

the dunlops are just superior on more power

The chain, i do not know the brand i think one of the lads said it was SDS, and as to its age i don't know that either, i bought the bike in May and just used it, didn't go through it as i should have, will do that know over the winter

going to throw some liquid metal on the hole this evening as we are loading for andalucia on sunday, it will either be the s100rr or iv'e been offered a k6 gsxr100

Whats-App-Image-2023-09-21-at-22-04-11.jpg

AL5-5411.jpg

AL4-5221.jpg

Latest posts

Back