So 1st track day on this bike and now some setup questions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffking

Reaction score
Just managed my first trackday on this bike and have a few questions.

- The ABS kicks in when the back goes light, probably due to rear wheel lift. I turned the ABS OFF and went from Sports mode to Race mode to stop this. Is there a way to limit ABS without turning it OFF?
- The bike wants to wheelie all the time in 2nd and I'm not great on the back wheel. How much difference between Sports and Race mode is there with the anti wheelie?
- How much can you lean on the TC in Race mode as I seemed to spend more time in 2nd gear than I did on my previous bike.
- I tried to calibrate the DDC with the bike on paddock stands, but calibration fails. What are the possible causes of this?

52397804783_e0d8281ebf_o.jpg

Race or above modes should deactivate the rear wheel abs. This is why Sport mode can be more dangerous than race.

Got the Slick key in? Most use USER mode, allows you to put the abs in Race or slick mode. I forget what the oem modes do but possibly USER and SLICK allow you to dial the TC up and down. Its a throttle butterfly based TC so its not perfect and can get intrusive. Ideally go in the mode you can adjust it...

Anti-wheelie. Its pretty shit. Run 16/43 gearing with a 120 link chain to push the axle back in the swingarm. This will reduce the mechanical forces trying to flip the bike. You'll probably need to raise the rear ride height if you extend the swingarm.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Trackday

If your on track then don?t bother with the road orientated Sport or Race modes as the ABS, DTC etc are generally a bit too intrusive on the Gen 3. As for DDC don?t try and calibrate on paddock stands as it won?t work as you are loading the suspension. Put it on the side stand and then calibrate and you shouldn?t have any issues.

Assuming it's a Gen 3?

ABS in slick mode works well on track.

As far as the anti-wheelie goes then it's a "problem" I also have - as above, running a longer wheelbase helps but that makes the bike less flickable...........the axle looks fairly far back in the swingarm - what gearing are you using and what is the wheelbase? (centre swingarm pivot to centre rear axle)

Whatever the set up, the anti-wheelie should kick in after a few seconds.(3?)

Thanks guys. Good advice there.
So if I put the ABS back on, but go to User mode (I have Slick & User modes available), then should it stop the ABS kicking in when the rear lifts as I can cope with the back moving under braking as that's exactly what my old 2006 Fireblade did which didn't have any electronic aids.

I'll try calibrating the DDC as you suggested and see what happens.

Thanks guys. Good advice there.
So if I put the ABS back on, but go to User mode (I have Slick & User modes available), then should it stop the ABS kicking in when the rear lifts as I can cope with the back moving under braking as that's exactly what my old 2006 Fireblade did which didn't have any electronic aids.

I'll try calibrating the DDC as you suggested and see what happens.

That is the correct method (side stand) for calibrating the DDC

As for DDC don?t try and calibrate on paddock stands as it won?t work as you are loading the suspension. Put it on the side stand and then calibrate and you shouldn?t have any issues.

DDC calibration failed again with the bike on the side stand, before and after removing the negative battery lead and putting the kettle on before trying again. Might be needing a software update.

Run 16/43 gearing with a 120 link chain to push the axle back in the swingarm.

Just checked the gearing and it's 17/45.

Assuming it's a Gen 3?
what gearing are you using and what is the wheelbase? (centre swingarm pivot to centre rear axle)

Yes it's a gen 3.
centre swingarm pivot to centre rear axle measures 605mm with the bike on the ground.

With the key in/on so the DDC is active, compress and extend the forks and shock a few times. Try the Calib.

With the key off, unplug and replug the DDC...try the Calib

If none of that works you might need a GS-911 or RCK3 to read the fault codes

Last edited:
605 will handle well but 608-612 would help with the wheelie. Its always a compromise.

Thumb brake is the other solution.

Try twisting the rear suspension measuring device while trying to calibrate the bike........mine used to be difficult to calibrate and that used to work for me when I used the OE suspension.

605mm is quite short hence why you are getting wheelie issues.(17/45 is standard gearing)

With the key off, unplug and replug the DDC...try the Calib

If none of that works you might need a GS-911 or RCK3 to read the fault codes

Good shout, disconnecting the DDC worked.
I Turned the ignition on with it disconnected it as I have MotoScan and the OBD-LX in case I need to scan the bike (mainly bought it to reset the service interval though).
Plugged the DDC back in and turned the ignition back on and the calibration suddenly worked 1st time. :star:

Latest posts

Back