Gen 3 Upgrades - Track

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shy231_

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Time to begin thinking about making some changes to the bike as pretty much done with track for this year.

Its virtually a track bike and doesnt really see much road. This is what i had in mind but hoping people can chime in.

Brakes -Currently

• Brembo HPK discs
  • SBS DC pads
  • RBF 660

I'm very happy with the performance of these atm but dont know whether an improvement exists. Occasionaly I have gotten brake fade so unsure if ducting will help. Not really seen any good ducting products online?

Was also considering a Brembo RCS19 but unsure on how this will behave with stock calipers. Would it be overkill?

Suspension/Control

Decided against ditching DDC.

Will change fork springs and on the hunt for a 2D Potentiometer. PM if you have one for sale please.

Im thinking to change to aftermarket clip ons.

Are they all much of muchness.....any brands recommended. Also noticed different offsets etc.

Not sure how i decide?

CRC track fairings

On the hunt for these, PM if you have some for sale please

Mapping

Bike currently has 3x Powercommander units on it

- PCV
- Secondary unit (controls other fuel rail)
- Auto tune unit (adjusts AFR on the fly)

Thinking to ditch this and go to Crowe for a custom map although havent spoke to them yet to see what they recommend.

Waiting to also find a full Arrow system or similar before getting this done

Again please PM if you have a Arrow system for sale

Thanks in advance all :sneakiness:

point 1,brakes- m/c cylinder is prob the weakest componant,rcs is a good upgrade certainly not overkill,and works well with stock calipers,ducting,dont bother.

suspension-is there a reason your changing springs? have you had it set properly? ran ddc for 3 yrs,with front pot,once set up is perfectly fine for most.

clip ons,i'd rec. changing,if for nothing else that they are easier to replace after a crash. gen1,not gen 3 renthals are excellent (gen1+3 are not related to the bike gen,its the clip on generation).

pcv is prefectly fine,actually better than the rck3 as a tuning tool tbh as has more modules for tuning (higher number of RPM boxes).
never been sold on the autotune units myself,unless your doing massivley different altitudes or temps

suspension-is there a reason your changing springs? have you had it set properly? ran ddc for 3 yrs,with front pot,once set up is perfectly fine for most.

Lighter springs c/w bigger air gap made a difference for me but then I suppose was it the springs or was it the air gap change as both were done at the same time?

point 1,brakes- m/c cylinder is prob the weakest componant,rcs is a good upgrade certainly not overkill,and works well with stock calipers,ducting,dont bother.

clip ons,i'd rec. changing,if for nothing else that they are easier to replace after a crash. gen1,not gen 3 renthals are excellent (gen1+3 are not related to the bike gen,its the clip on generation).

pcv is prefectly fine,actually better than the rck3 as a tuning tool tbh as has more modules for tuning (higher number of RPM boxes).
never been sold on the autotune units myself,unless your doing massivley different altitudes or temps
Rcs has made a difference for me, certainly wouldn't think it's overkill.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I went ahead and got myself a RCS19 Corsa corta....fitted up today and its definetly different feel completely. 20mm pivot was a bit too much but the 18mm is alot more friendly.

Test it properly tomorrow on track.

Suspension has been set up but been told the i need softer springs.

I have a travel wear sensor (Hi tech cable tie) that near enough is at the bottom of travel but hard to gauge as i do wheelie/sometimes on track.

Thanks will look into the clip ons.

Ill see what Crowe says about the PCV and keep it on in that case.

yea the 20 ratio is a bit on/off,i also prefer the more progressive feel.

cable ties can give very misleading info,only takes 1 second or bump to put it at the bottom,whereas 99% of the time suspension is working fine.how does it feel to you?

I can imagine it is over sprung Shy must weigh ~70kg kitted up!

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

yea the 20 ratio is a bit on/off,i also prefer the more progressive feel.

cable ties can give very misleading info,only takes 1 second or bump to put it at the bottom,whereas 99% of the time suspension is working fine.how does it feel to you?

I thought i made a massive mistake when i first rode it on the 20mm pivot haha.

18mm is so much more compliant.

Yep your right which is why i don't really trust the cable tie.

Unfortunately i don't know how to comment on whether it feels good or not because I don't know where the benchmark is.

I can throw it round a track at good pace but i know the wear pattern on tyres is bit odd on the front.

Rear tyre wear looks bang on. I'll add some pictures later.

Useful thread, looking at the Brembo RCS19 upgrades but want to know if it will work with my HP folding levers as I have the remote adjuster.

dont think they fit the rcs,it has quite a weird pivot system

Brembo RCS

Useful thread, looking at the Brembo RCS19 upgrades but want to know if it will work with my HP folding levers as I have the remote adjuster.

No it won?t work but you can replace the lever blade should you crash and need to replace it. As for a brake remote adjuster; Brembo, alpha Racing, and TWM all make compatible ones which fit the RCS.

I've found the standard Gen 3 brakes very good but then I use either Z04s or SBS DSs pads which imho are the first things I'd try although they are more expensive than a Brembo RCS M/C.

To be fair, I've only just got the bike doing my first TD on it next week.

I'll run it as is and see how I get on but I am salesman's dream, if it's new and shiny, i must have it

prices are fairly fixed,have a look at the forum vendor section,might get a deal from 1 of those

I've found the standard Gen 3 brakes very good but then I use either Z04s or SBS DSs pads which imho are the first things I'd try although they are more expensive than a Brembo RCS M/C.

After the track evening i didnt seem to have any sessions with a soft lever which was nice.

Amazed at the stopping power of the brakes with the RCS19.

I already thought they were epic before so suprised at the improvement.

I'd probably say im happy to leave them where they are now :adoration:

My last trackday for the year so happy to start really changing bits for next year.

(might do a november OPL at brands but will see the weather then)

For fork springs i'm thinking I'll take my forks off and take them to MCT to do a spring change.

I assume i just need to tell them my bike and weight kitted up and they do the rest?

My last trackday for the year so happy to start really changing bits for next year.

(might do a november OPL at brands but will see the weather then)

For fork springs i'm thinking I'll take my forks off and take them to MCT to do a spring change.

I assume i just need to tell them my bike and weight kitted up and they do the rest?

Before I went the full K-Tech route, I took my forks to MCT and the change of springs / air gap made a big difference especially when I fitted the 2D Pot.

no need to drop your forks out if you can get there i person,just take your bike if it's only a spring swap

Latest posts

Back