Annual Insurance Rant

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, looking at buying a M1000RR or S1000RR fully loaded. Both over 30K. It seems on the M - no insurance company including BMW will offer a quote on it and the S is coming out at 3 times what I currently pay for my S.

Has anyone found anyone cheaper to go with. Would love to get one before the weather turns but not paying 2.5K to insure one. Been riding for 17 years, Full NCD and protected no claims. 3 points and small accident in car.

Whilst waiting...for 35 mins+ on the BMW flex CAR insurance chat, i decided to see what BMW Motorrad Insurance could do for my bikes. I therefore went here: https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/finance/insurance/multi-bike-insurance.html

It tells you that BMW do multi-bike insurance (I knew that, had it before) and it gives you a phone number. If you call it you get to speak to a f***wit at Devitts. Highlights of the conversation include

1. Have I called the wrong number or have you answered the wrong phone?
Me: I'd like to get a multi-bike quote
Dev: We don't do multi-bike...
Me: err... I called the BMW Mottorad Multi Bike insurance phone number, which I got from the BMW UK website...
Dev: well, information on the web isn't always accurate
Me: The official BMW website??
Dev: Oh hang on we do, I'll just put you on the standard policy then
Me: the what?
Dev: (huffy) well isn't that what you wanted??
Me: no idea, if the 'standard policy' is BMW Multi-bike policy that is what I called to discuss...

2. When did you get your licence?
Dev: When did you get your licence?
Me: (told her).
..after a few questions..
Dev: When did you get your bike licence
Me: you already asked that?
Dev: No, that was your car licence
Me: you didn't ask me for my car licence
Dev: I asked at the start of the call
Me: For a bike policy?? you should have made that clear - I gave you my bike licence date
Dev: (huffed retyping of details)

3. Bike Details
Dev: How much did you pay for that bike
Me: in 2012 it was about 14 thousand
Dev: one thousand four hundred?
Me: Nope...
Me: ...actually do you know what... I can't be bothered with this. bye....

Now, I'll give her that last one, as I have a ...regional... accent, but i just couldn't trust her to punch in the information, and whose fault is it if that info is later found to be inaccurate.

F*** this

Customer Service has gone to shit since covid

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

I had a pretty decent experience with BikeSure this year for my RR. Quite a bit cheaper than my renewal, but still over ?100 than unpaid last year. I also bought a 2nd bike last month and BeMoto were great as usual with that.

So, partly in desperation, I called BMW/Devitts again today...twice. First time it sounded like the same halfwit from Friday, so hung up and rejoined the queue... ended up speaking to friendly, competent lady...who gave me an unappealing quote. So, I'm staying with BeMoto... yikes...
Bikesure quote wasn't competitive for me. Also found that some 'multi-bike' online quote systems just let you enter one bike, presumably so that they grab your details then you have to spend all morning on the phone when they call you... and that GoCompare don't compare... they just offer you whatever BikeSure give them
The market this year is so f****d up that Carole Nash, who have consistently offered me the silliest quotes over the years, were a close 2nd to Be Moto....

And even though BMW flex car policy puffs up my annual premium for the bike accident, I think I'll go with them for 6 months and see if I can get a better car quote in the new year...

I shall stop ranting now.... even if house insurance renewal imminent... bah humbug

Last edited:
Sorry, one more rant - the APR for paying monthly (which I never do) is c. 42% for most insurers, absolute c***s. It's 'only' 20 for home ins, WTF?

I've never understood that, why not retain a good risk rather than force someone into shopping around.

I've a couple of mates that seem to have no problem jumping about looking for the least expensive deal every year..I can't be bothered with that and will happily pay a reasonable increase YOY.. inertia rules at times..

I've wondered this. I think the logic is that if you have got insurance with someone and you have no claim, they get to keep the premium with no payout, obvs. As each year passes, the risk of you having a claim (having not had one) does actually go up ('cos statistics). At some point the computer is going to say 'thanks we've had a good run at this, but the risk is growing, so we will let someone else have a go before we have a payout'. I may be completely wrong about it but that is the only logical explanation for insurers deliberately pricing to lose business.

well well well... I called BeMoto last Monday and had no problem getting through to talk to someone (unlike others' experiences it appears). I noticed that the values of my bikes hadn't been adjusted since last year, so we had a chat about lowering them a little and a couple of other things. The result is my premium is only 9.5% up on last year and by some way much cheaper than anyone else...

I had a pretty decent experience with BikeSure this year for my RR. Quite a bit cheaper than my renewal, but still over ?100 than unpaid last year. I also bought a 2nd bike last month and BeMoto were great as usual with that.

Me too. This years quote was about ?10 lower than last year, told them I'd had 3 quotes cheaper from a comparison site. So they knocked a bit more off, and threw in helmet and leathers cover, and upped the mileage allowance another 1k. I don't want to add up what I've paid out for car and bike insurance over the last 40 years though. :sorrow:

I'm much older than you Colin, at 61, so my three bike multi-bike insurance with Carole Nash with only me as a rider and no pillion cover with 9 years no claims for my 2018 RR, my 2005 Daytona 955i and my new 2023 937 Monster was ?401 for a combined 10k miles pa fully comp, leisure riding only and includes a ?70 pan-European vehicle breakdown and recovery. When I was younger I used to hate older people with cheap motor insurance. Now I'm older and now I benefit from it <grin>

Smug g*t :)

Never understood Carol Nash. Maybe they hate everyone inside the M25. When I got my first bike, every one of my mates were insured by them, told me they were great... but never for me. Over the years they have (until this year) either been amongst the most ridiculous quotes (?3400 once when I actually paid ?500 for the year) or have just declined to quote. It was only the crazy situation this year that made me check them out, I usually don't even bother with them normally. In fact, now that I think about it, because of my accident 2 years ago, I appear to have become *more* attractive to them... that's just f***ed up.

God I am struggling to insure the bike this year. Seems mods are a huge issue and I don't even want them insured...whole insurance market has gone Pete Tong

I've been with BeMoto for years. Every year I have been trying to be good, no accidents, points etc, several years NCB.
This year the premium doubled (for no apparent reason, other than the normal "all premiums have gone up Sir" line), but what has really added insult to injury is they have told me my maximum mileage allowance for the year is capped at 2K.
BeMoto are just a broker, apparently the actual insurer (AXA) has demanded the mileage restriction.
P.I.T.A!

Yeah BeMoto have refused to insure me as I don't want to store the bike where I live. Its safer where it is rather than central london but that apparently doesn't matter...

You’d think having people on bikes getting used to how they handle rather than small mileage use, which can make you rusty as fk.

This is the first year in about 10 I've not renewed with BeMoto. I was with AXA through them previously but they told me AXA have dropped bike insurance. Could not get a quote with their current underwriters.

I paid £600 last year with Carole Nash, their renewal this year was a joke. Even the customer service rep was embarrassed with their renewal quote! They wanted £4.5k !!!
Needless to say I didn’t renew with them!

I paid £600 last year with Carole Nash, their renewal this year was a joke. Even the customer service rep was embarrassed with their renewal quote! They wanted £4.5k !!!
Needless to say I didn’t renew with them!
£192 Devitt for S1000rr and £96 for R1 also devitt

Latest posts

Back