She's going back to the dealer !!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper

Reaction score
So the S1000RR is going back to the dealer. Iv had her just under a month and I'm not at all happy.

It seems iv been hit with the dreaded gearbox fault. The last couple of times iv ridden the bike (iv only ridden the bike 3 times in total) it's been hitting faulse neutrals and smashing the box to pieces... Iv been advised by people in the know to stop using it ASAP as the problem is only going to get worse.

Bikes getting picked up this Friday..

:( :( :( :( bad luck fella, got my fingers crossed you get it back soon and enjoy some trouble free riding. is this a common problem with them? hope not after all the shit with the con rod bolts

It seems to be a common fault. A lot of people blame the Shift Assist and to be honest I'm 100% sure this has caused the problem. The stock Shift Assist is no good having caused me loads of faulse neutrals and missed gears..

This is soooo bad news, after the '10 and '11 box probs i'd have thought
it would have been a priority upgrade...................What with the recall as well i'm glad i stayed with my '10 for another year. I think all in all like a lot of owners BMW have not lived up to its name. Dont get me wrong, i think its an awesome bike but would i buy a 2nd hand one?, i doubt it. I just cross my fingers every time i go out :-\
Hope you get sorted ok.

Mine went back to the dealer on Monday for the exact same thing, i believe the box is definately fucked now but i am also worried the top end may have suffered from the false neutrals and the bouncing off the limiter.

Keep me updated on this. Be interested in what happends. What Dealer is yours going back to ?

It's getting picked up Monday afternoon by BMW Assist and taken to Park Lane. This is going to be an interesting one I rekon.

Hope it goes ok Russ,gutted for you,hope mine doesn't go,I've had a couple of false neutrals,but mostly it's nice and smooth.
I don't use the assist much,it was fun to start with,but even on the track I was using the clutch most of the time.

Hopper link=topic=1438.msg13740#msg13740 date=1348162639 said:
It's getting picked up Monday afternoon by BMW Assist and taken to Park Lane. This is going to be an interesting one I rekon.

Heard nothing but good news re Park Lane for what its worth, certainly treated me ok

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1438.msg13741#msg13741 date=1348162824 said:
Hope it goes ok Russ,gutted for you,hope mine doesn't go,I've had a couple of false neutrals,but mostly it's nice and smooth,bth I don't use the assist much,it was fun to start with,but even on the track I was using the clutch most of the time.
Lloyd "using the clutch" you don't mean that you used the lever but just blipped the throttle don't you ? ::) Every one to their own but I haven't pulled in the clutch lever to change up on a bike for more years than I care to remember (apart from starting off and riding through town at low speed) Touch wood I've had no issues so far with qs or gearbox on the beemer BUT the sweetest box on a bike I've owned is without doubt that of Suzuki Motorcycle Co. Story is BM got a GSXR 1000 K5 and used that as their benchmark obviously they got bored before they checked the gearbox!

Parley Waller link=topic=1438.msg13745#msg13745 date=1348168427 said:
Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1438.msg13741#msg13741 date=1348162824 said:
Hope it goes ok Russ,gutted for you,hope mine doesn't go,I've had a couple of false neutrals,but mostly it's nice and smooth,bth I don't use the assist much,it was fun to start with,but even on the track I was using the clutch most of the time.
Lloyd "using the clutch" you don't mean that you used the lever but just blipped the throttle don't you ? ::) Every one to their own but I haven't pulled in the clutch lever to change up on a bike for more years than I care to remember (apart from starting off and riding through town at low speed) Touch wood I've had no issues so far with qs or gearbox on the beemer BUT the sweetest box on a bike I've owned is without doubt that of Suzuki Motorcycle Co. Story is BM got a GSXR 1000 K5 and used that as their benchmark obviously they got bored before they checked the gearbox!
i use the clutch all the time Graham,like I said I only use the quick shifter now and again.

i use the clutch all the time Graham,like I said I only use the quick shifter now and again.
[/quote] OK Lloyd the few false neutrals you got at Snetterton were they going up or down the box? I use the QS most of the time but only at 7,000+ revs below this it isn't as smooth. ???

Parley Waller link=topic=1438.msg13761#msg13761 date=1348256723 said:
OK Lloyd the few false neutrals you got at Snetterton were they going up or down the box? I use the QS most of the time but only at 7,000+ revs below this it isn't as smooth. ???
[/quote]yes Graham,that is the only time it's happened,and that was around 9000rpm,but I've had smooth shifts @ 12,000rpm. But I'll mostly be using clutch from now on,all these gear box stories is putting me off :'(

Bike is at the dealers. They said the bike is fixed...... Apparently there was no probs with it. Iv asked them to take the sump plug off for inspection of debris. They said they will TMW and see what they find.

After all the crunching of the gears I'm suspecting they will find half the gear box on there...

I'll keep you posted

No mate. On a 2011

I was talking to BMW over the phone saying they would find it quite difficult to replicate the false neutrals on the road. BMW test roade the bike and didn't find any faulse neutrals at all.. If also been told that if there is no debris found on the sump plug, I'll be billed for all investigation work that has been carried out

Latest posts

Back