Replacement RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupe

Reaction score
As you have previously read, my bike is being replaced after a catalogue of faults.
Today I was told that BMW won't replace it as a no cost swap as I've used it, so there would be a mileage charge added. I've done 1279 miles, charged at 40 pence per mile which would be a cost to me of ?511.
There would also be a new registration charge plus road tax to be paid as I can claim back the balance of my current road tax.
I then asked about the first service charge which is about ?180 from memory.
There will be no contribution from BMW apparently but the dealer will contribute to some costs.
I'm looking at forking out around ?850 less any dealer contribution to get another bike but I protested that as it was a bad product and they are replacing it due to this fact then why am I being penalised by them?
Am I being unreasonable? I really didn't expect any charges given the cake and arse party I've endured.
My bike will apparently be here mid July and I can only have a demo bike as and when it's not being used which means more hassle of calling them and going down then handing back again as and when as I cant use my bike in the meantime (more mileage)
I asked the buyback price of my bike and was given a figure of ?12700, given the problems they will have to fix.....
I feel like burying the bike in concrete and dumping at sea.

Bang out of order I reckon mate, there faulty product, should be replaced at no cost to you and some more sweeteners thrown in,, let's face it BMW can afford it

That's what I thought, I joked about carbon previously as a good will gesture. Yeah, right.

Reject the bike under the sale of goods act as not being fit for purpose you have to put this in writing and tell them you want a full refund or exchange if you get no joy then contact trading standards

I've already been told there will be no refund on the bike as it's mostly cosmetic. I really don't have the patience or time to f**ck about anymore and the good weather is coming. All I want to do is go out on my bike.
As a final thought, I may ask what they will settle cash wise if I leave the bike as it is and just use the bloody thing. I'm at a loss what to do tbh.

threaten them with legal action it worked for me after problems on my bike they just got it fixed at no cost to me what so ever if you would like a copy of the email I sent them PM I will send it to you.

from my memory of your issues its all around the top of the forks and the brake reservoir, if the rest of your bike is ok just ask them to replace the cosmetically damaged parts at no cost to you

Last edited:
I don't know what your relationship is like with the dealer after all this but I think your best bet is to probably try and get them to contribute as much as possible as gesture of good will as you'll be paying money to get your bike serviced with them going forwards, it'll also make you feel better about buying another BMW from them in the future (ok maybe not..!) and you could tell them if they cough up you'll publicly praise them on here rather than slag them off!

Loupe I feel for you , I would have expected better service from BMW. I think I'd go to citizens advice and get some good legal advice. You've certainly been dealt one shitty hand after another.

Loupe if it were me and going on what's been said to you by the dealer, I would go for replacement forks mate. Makes me shudder what you've had to put up with.......bastards.

Within 5 minutes of picking the bike up I noticed there was 2 large scratches on the near side of the tank, one 6" long and one smaller one through to the primer. This was agreed to be replaced, and at the time I was pissed off but accepted that "these things happen"
Then.......

Near side rear indicator broken -rectified
Near side seat plastic cracked - rectified
Seat washers corroded - rectified
Instrument panel loose, about a cm of play when moved back and forward -rectified

Paint finish on wheels defective
Glitch with DTC (full bars showing rolling through a 30 zone)
The engine is definitely not just noisy, there is a loud rattling noise which the mechanic and salesman have both agreed doesn't sound right.
"Tooling" marks on the top of the forks (yoke)

The marks on the forks was the turning point for me as everything before this was cosmetic and replaced.

Has the bike been on its near side?
Why are there marks on the yoke of a brand new bike?
Why would the instrument panel be loose?

Why have I paid ?16800 for a brand new bike when as far as I can see its of second hand standard.

To add insult to injury I've now been informed that I'll be making a contribution towards my new bike as it's being replaced. I'm being penalised for their f**k up in supplying me a new bike which should never have been sold in the first place.
BMW obviously have quality control and this passed every one of them, their incompetence has made a new bike purchase an absolute nightmare.
Apparently it didn't leave the factory like this as BMW sent a very basic email to the dealer stating this, but it arrived at the dealership with these faults as I've been told nothing has happened to the bike while there.

I won't be able to use my bike until a replacement arrives (6weeks) as the mileage will go up. I can use their demo bike as long as no one has booked it but obviously as the good weather arrives it will be out. If I do want to use it then I'll need to call ahead, go down and pick it up the hand it back if someone books it. What a waste of time and hassle.

I've bought the top product from an apparently very good company and this is the level of service I receive?
Ive kept a very dignified composure any time I've dealt with anyone and I've never once jumped up and down or even raised my voice in the hope that being nice will get me the best outcome.
The dealership apparently had to fight for a replacement bike from BMW and they will have to make a contribution as BMW want to lay charges on top.
What a joke, and unfortunately it's on me.

Loupe for me it's gotta be trading standards / citizens advice. What you've been through is bad enough but to want you to make a further contribution is shocking to say the least. Hope you get your self sorted out.

Loupe, thanks for detailing the woes you have suffered. In your position I would be equally peeved (understatement). I personally have no axe to grind, my BMW ownership experience since '09 has been excellent, so I am surprised about the issues and response you have had.

I will PM you.

Loupe that's a bag of shit and as Beavis has suggested trading standards is the way to go.If you threaten to take this to them they will change there attitude immediately,I know from experience my brother in law is a trading standards advisor and he has helped me out many a time over the years.Dont let them get away with it mate.

Start a blog called www.DontBuyBMWBikes.com and upload all the faults, photes etc, name and shame the dealer, and lets get it viral!!
the minstream press might even like slice of the action...

Defo hold out I wouldn't pay another penny. I also have had no problems since '10, on the contrary but this stinks. I can't see it leaving the factory like that so can only be between factory and you so back to the middleman which is the dealer. I'm sure there would be plenty of 3rd parties that would only be too pleased to have the chance to publicly slaughter a prestige brand like this. Either way it should be new bike free or 100% money back. Good luck, keep us informed.

Thanks guys, been spurned on by you all. Was ready to just take the easy option at the weekend and go with it but I'm going to trading standards tomorrow to find out where I stand.

Back