Gen 3 (2019) Replacement Battery charging problems

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwakstak

Reaction score
BMW replaced my battery, i have an alarm thats turned off & a tracker on. However it wont keep a charge on optimate solar charger which has given me no problems before or on other bikes. Also have tried optimate trickle charger but the yellow charging bars are ALL lite up when charging?! Have tested both on my other bikes & all ok/normal. So i don?t understand why this would be happening? Any ideas?

Sounds like a bad battery, I would return it, however, first it maybe a stupid question, but is the battery a LiFeP04 (Lithium) and is the charger also for Lithium?

As Alex says, check that charger and battery compatability first, also if you are based in the UK solar panels won't generate a lot of power at this time of year, like next to no power at all.

That tracker might be drawing more power than your solar charger is able to input. Consider attaching a car or leisure battery (something like a 12V 100 Ah battery) to the bike battery as a slave using the optimate battery connector wired to your battery and the crocodile clips with the optimate SAE connector connected to the donor battery, then bring the donor battery indoors and charge up for 24 hours or so and take it back out to bike.

I have used the above method successfull when I had no access to a 3 pin

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Had issues with batteries on one of my previous bikes. Turned out to be the regulator rectifier supplying too much voltage to the battery and causing damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do a voltage check on tick over to see if regulator. got 1 off my 2016 if it turns out to be that.

As first reply said, probably that the *solar* charger cant produce enought current this time of year. The tracker will draw significant current. If you can't have a mains charger permanently connected then you could run an extension lead and charge it up every two weeks for a few hours.

Latest posts

Back