Gen3 to Gen4 - What to avoid!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zxcv12

Reaction score
I've been really happy with the 2018 Gen3, no issues at all. But IF I traded it in for a Gen4 to avoid the expensive big service and replacing lots of consumables, which of the Gen4's are to be avoided? I'd be looking for a low mileage replacement not new. There seems to have been so many issues on the Gen4 I'm not sure what date of production would be the best to go for to ensure that all the bugs are thoroughly ironed out. I'm looking for the minimum of hassle really. Alternative would be to invest quite a bit of money into my existing bike which is now way out of warranty.
Anyone any thoughts or suggestions?

I?ve had zero issues with my Gen 4 and it?s a far better bike than my old Gen 3. If you buy one from a dealership (especially an early version) it will likely have had all the recall work done so you won?t have any issues. Later K67s are pretty much sorted. If buying privately just insist on seeing a FSH and check the VRN with BMW as they will soon be able to tell you if there is any work outstanding.

I've got a late 19 gen 4, 17K miles now. I've had a couple of minor recalls which have simply been sorted at service. Only main issue was with the knock from the fork. There is now an updated unit which BMW are retro fitting. I don't think its had any more issues than other manufacturers with new releases. Dare I say it's never let me down. I'm looking at potentially getting another one.

Last edited:
Have to say, I'm not getting on with my 2020, just can't get a feeling for it. Thoughts of maybe finding a good gen 3 or trying the gen5. (maybe the RSV4 again..)

Last edited:
Have to say, I'm not getting on with my 2020, just can't get a feeling for it. Thoughts of maybe finding a good gen 3 or trying the gen5. (maybe the RSV4 again..)

Come and pick mine up to use whilst I'm on holiday ;) Finish the break in miles :D

No issues either...2022 Gen 4 and bike is miles better than my last Gen 3. I did love my Gen 3 and did a lot of miles and track days but my Gen 4 is stunning and wish I had made the move earlier.

I?ve had zero issues with my Gen 4 and it?s a far better bike than my old Gen 3. If you buy one from a dealership (especially an early version) it will likely have had all the recall work done so you won?t have any issues. Later K67s are pretty much sorted. If buying privately just insist on seeing a FSH and check the VRN with BMW as they will soon be able to tell you if there is any work outstanding.
Is there any particular manufacturing month/year by which all the known issues should have been well sorted that your aware of? I trying to avoid a bike that already been through the dealer workshop repeatedly to sort issues out. As we all know, dealer service can be quite variable...

No issues either...2022 Gen 4 and bike is miles better than my last Gen 3. I did love my Gen 3 and did a lot of miles and track days but my Gen 4 is stunning and wish I had made the move earlier.
Encouraging :stupid:

Also good to know. Thanks, I really like the Gen3, the only thing that annoys me is the off centre COG that makes hands free riding a bit awkward.

Latest posts

Back