Please tell it its normal!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're going to have to accept that the exhaust control flaps are noisy, it's not suprising as it must all run in a constant stream of hot dry gas! As far as I know it's only there to control the noise from the exhaust, masking it by making even more racket through an aftermarket slip on de-cat whatever is a waste of $$$ in my opinion. There may well be another problem if the servo that controls the flaps is not working as per the original design, but the exhaust internals are not going to sound slick or silent, they're always going to rattle, have you heard a dry clutch on a Ducati?? Sounds like a bag of nails....but nothing wrong, at least within reason. I'm London based, happy to meet up at Boxhill or whatever to compare rackets, set your mind at rest so you can enjoy your bike. Failing that, visit a dealer or wear earplugs and ignore! As long as it's making power and has a smooth delivery, I wouldn't worry!

Lots of replies thank you very much guys, Okay I'll accept it is normal thanks again,

@zxcv, Yes I'd like to do that please, not too far from me. When are you next at boxhill?

Ok will do, i'll let you know hopefully at the weekend. As long as it isn't raining!

Awesome thank you, please PM me your number when next avaljble

Getting louder and more rattly....Esp when I'm using clutch and going round corners... : <

Really scaring me

Engine / Exhaust Noise

If it's causing you that much concern then just take it to your local BMW dealership and have it checked over.

Been reading a lot about it and lots of people saying it's the cams...Just worried I'll take it to BMW and say its fine.

Engine / Exhaust Noise

As previously posted they are known to be particularly noisy but you are unlikely to find anything wrong yourself unless you have it checked by a professionally trained mechanic.

Been reading a lot about it and lots of people saying it's the cams...Just worried I'll take it to BMW and say its fine.

Nobody writes a post about taking their bike to the dealer and being told it's fine, and it actually is. You will only read posts about outcomes where there was a problem.

edit - slight overgeneralisation but I hope you get the point. ;).

Last edited:
I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and ask very nicely for them to listen to it. Heavy rain all day forecasted tomorrow

They are putting the updated cap on or something...? For the cam chsin

They are putting the updated cap on or something...? For the cam chsin

I can't quote the specific part, but as far as I am aware there was a replacement part for the CCT that essentially tightens up the cam chain. This was something fitted to higher mileage bikes and earlier models I believe.

My 15 RR is coming up for the 36 K mile service so will mention the CCT to them.

Can anyone else add more info on this?

Took it to Welwyn Garden City Motorrad and they said they heard nothing. Wasnt impressed as they rushed the whole process.
Took it to Maindenhead Motorad and they said it sounds like my cam chain is ruined...Not happy I want to take the bike back to Chester and get a refund. Can I do this seeing as I bought the bike 12 days ago.

Took it to Welwyn Garden City Motorrad and they said they heard nothing. Wasnt impressed as they rushed the whole process.
Took it to Maindenhead Motorad and they said it sounds like my cam chain is ruined...Not happy I want to take the bike back to Chester and get a refund. Can I do this seeing as I bought the bike 12 days ago.

CRA2015 (Consumer Rights Act) allows for you to reject the bike within 30d of purchase. They won't make it easy for you, so I'd try talking to them first - they may just offer to repair the bike.

Don't want to repair the bike, I don't want it knowing that something like this has gone wrong. I've done 300-500 miles on it.

My question to you guys is do I tell them I don't want it due to this mechanical fault or just say "its too much power"

Back