Please tell it its normal!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question to you guys is do I tell them I don't want it due to this mechanical fault or just say "its too much power"
If you wish to reject the bike, don't lie about the reason. If you say 'it's too powerful for me', they won't take that as a rejection - that's not a reason to reject and I doubt you'd be able to enforce it. They will offer to buy the bike back, but you'll then lose a few grand, I'd expect.

You will likely have to give them the opportunity to inspect the bike. If you wish to reject, you must notify them and then stop using the bike, and you will probably have to return it at your cost.

They will almost certainly fight your rejection, particularly if you've had anyone else do any work on the bike, or if it's not as sold - so modifications or any sign of them may give them an excuse to wriggle and you would then be into taking legal action, potentially.

Following rejection, they may take up to 14 days to provide a refund.

I rejected a car last year - I'd had it from new, done less than 3K miles and it had been off the road for 200+ days in a year - it took me almost a year to get the manufacturer to accept the rejection and refund me.

It will not be easy, and it could take time and a lot of energy. It's not an easy path, so I'd still suggest you let them repair it - who's to say once repaired it won't be as good as a new bike? If it had been repaired before you bought it and you'd not known, you'd be riding around happily,

Thanks for that response. Just really not happy about this noise, And the fact they sold me this bike with 2 rubbish tyres on it and I've complained that there is no tread and they still haven't sorted it out! Is it really that difficult to return the bike to them in pretty much stock form?

Thanks for that response. Just really not happy about this noise, And the fact they sold me this bike with 2 rubbish tyres on it and I've complained that there is no tread and they still haven't sorted it out! Is it really that difficult to return the bike to them in pretty much stock form?
It's not easy at all normally. Maybe they will be different, but I would certainly suggest having a quiet, calm chat with them first and letting them know you're not happy, and asking them what they'll do before starting down a rejection route.

I would advise you do a bit of background reading on the CRA2015 and your rights, the process to follow, and the garage's rights too. It's not intended to be straightforward - otherwise people would take advantage of it when they change their mind, or realise they don't like the colour, or that they can't afford it - but it is intended to allow those with a genuine grievance to get redress.

As DoubleR says, the best way to start off is a polite quiet conversation. From the point of view of a dealer, the way someone makes a complaint seriously effects the way the complaint is dealt with. If a customer is unhappy with a bike I've sold and they politely explain why they aren't happy, I will always do my best to rectify the issue or refund them if that is the only solution.

I'd say give them a chance to rectify it, if you return it and get another there's no telling what repairs have taken place on the next bike you buy? Have you let them listen to it to give an opinion? As you've taken it to two garages who've given differing opinions maybe the third opinion is necessary?

From the vids you've put on im not convinced there's owt wrong with it tbh.

Problem is the dealer is 4 hours away from me so it's a bit of a pain, If I were to go up there I want a result, Bike is booked in to be looked at on 27th of June (Earliest) But I honestly cant and wont wait that long for this issue to be resolved.

I agree with all of the above. I'd phone your dealer and explain that you're not happy with the service/product first, explain what you've been told by a BMW garage and allow them the opportunity to carry out all repairs/warranty work first.

With regard to tyres, if they agreed to replacing them then they should honour the agreement, however they might have discounted the price of the bike knowing tyres needed changing?

Assuming all is sorted without having to go down the formal rejection route, you might wish to consider the extended warranty just for your own peace of mind should anything big need sorting down the line.

I sincerely hope your dealer handle this in a proper way and that all issues are resolved soon

Cheers for the replies guys and after thinking about it I guess I should just stay with bike bearing in mind it'll be a lot of hassle and then again as your saying if I were to buy another bike I have no idea about previous work that one had either. Guess I'll just have to wait till 27th June then? Bit extreme to wait that long especially just after buying this bike....

Problem is the dealer is 4 hours away from me so it's a bit of a pain, If I were to go up there I want a result, Bike is booked in to be looked at on 27th of June (Earliest) But I honestly cant and wont wait that long for this issue to be resolved.

Unfortunately for you, the distance and time isn't actually relevant - and nor is it that dealer's problem. Factually, you chose to travel that far and buy the bike; they didn't make you do that and it has no bearing on the situation legally. If you wish to exercise your legal rights, you will need to put aside any emotion and any irrelevances like location, and go about it in accordance with the process.

If that sounds harsh, I'm sorry - but it is a fact.

I've managed to convince myself to keep the bike, As if you think about it...an "Updated" fix will be better than factory I guess....just more than a month wait is a joke to ride again

If the bike's under BMW warranty, you should be able to take it to another BMW dealer in any case - it's a manufacturer warranty not a dealer warranty.

Of course if it isn't, then you may be stuck. Personally I'd still be riding it, but obviously that's a personal choice for you.

Oh I wouldn't worry about waiting to ride the bike, I'd just try and forget about the noise and carry on using it.

Is the bike covered by the full manufacturer warranty still? If so it's their problem and not the dealers to carry out repair work.

If not, then I'd suggest considering the extended warranty just for your own peace of mind in the future

If the bike's under BMW warranty, you should be able to take it to another BMW dealer in any case - it's a manufacturer warranty not a dealer warranty.

Of course if it isn't, then you may be stuck. Personally I'd still be riding it, but obviously that's a personal choice for you.

These dealers seem to know what they are talking about though, Definatly won't be going back to welwyn was not impressed at all. I'll maybe try Alton motorad. I'm a bit confused by what you meant with "Of course if it isn't, then you may be stuck"

The manufacturer warranty is absolutely rock solid and covers everything, except for consumable items that have worn in an acceptable time frame.

If it is out of warranty, but is "Approved Used" then I imagine there is a somewhat less comprehensive warranty in place

I want to put my Austin racing exhaust on...I asked both dealers if it would void but both could'nt give me a solid responce

Is your Austin Racing exhaust a slip on or full system?

If a slip on, 100 % no issues whatsoever.

If a full system and the engine went pop, I'd suggest sticking the stock back on "before" taking it to the dealer

I meant, if it's not under BMW warranty, you'll be stuck with the resolution the dealer is offering as you won't have the rights afforded by the manufacturer cover...

Is your Austin Racing exhaust a slip on or full system?

If a slip on, 100 % no issues whatsoever.

If a full system and the engine went pop, I'd suggest sticking the stock back on "before" taking it to the dealer

It's a de-cat so involves cutting original exhaust

Then it's essentially a full system so the same applies, it will affect the running of the bike and there is grounds for a manufacturer to assign blame to you for any failure

Back