Please tell it its normal!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Please tell me this ticking noise is normal! But don't lie to me
First time I've ridden today without a headphone in listening to music and this ticking noise was very strong riding around, Is this normal for these motors?

2015 S1000rr

Sounds normal to my limited knowledge, at least same as mine (same year etc). There are some flaps in the header pipes and from the POV you've used with the camera you seem to be trying to get as close as possible to them. So... I doubt there's much to worry about, those flaps can be noisey, but it's probably that and not the oily bits.

Thanks guys, Ticking doesnt sound too loud in video but was very loud in 1st and second gear I could hear.

Earplugs! By the time you've wound through 1st and 2nd, you'll be leaving most of the noise behind! You'll only have to battle wind roar after that.

try holding something against the exhaust valve on the headers just in case its loose. mine was starting to rattle and were replaced under warranty, the technician said when holding a screwdriver against the valve the ticking stopped.

Engine Noise

That engine noise sounds normal but it can be a bit unsettling at first; particularly if your used to riding Japanese bikes.

I agree with the others, it sounds normal to me and would try not to worry about it, my 15 RR is a bit clattery at times too

UPDATE: I was looking around the engine seal and found oil coming out of the engine by the sealant, I didn't see it physically coming out but saw an obvious oil leak which had been dryed up, I cleared away the oil hoping it was a very very slow leak and rode real hard for 20 minuites to check it again, Found no oil coming out, thoughts?

Also the noise is really annoying me, What could it be or do all of your 15+ S1k's make that noise

Thanks

EDIT: Oil level is normal. Could of been really old oil but obviously came out of the seal at one point.

Last edited:
My 15 plate is a bit on the noisy side. I've just recently-ish had a service, so im sure it would've been highlighted.

As everyone has said, they're a bit on the noisy side - I combated it by having a loud exhaust haha

Which part of the engine was it located exactly? But just keep an eye on it, more than likely nothing.

My 15 plate is a bit on the noisy side. I've just recently-ish had a service, so im sure it would've been highlighted.

As everyone has said, they're a bit on the noisy side - I combated it by having a loud exhaust haha

Which part of the engine was it located exactly? But just keep an eye on it, more than likely nothing.

Haha yeah thats what I'm doing, Bought an Austin hopefully wont hear it again...I'm just so picky with all this stuff
I previously owned 3 Aprilia SXV's and sold them each time cause I got so paranoid about stupid things and MOST of them were fine, One blew up on me :(

The part of the engine was on the left side near the oil level sight, You could see the sealant peel away but then again I have no idea how long it's been like that could be very old.

Last edited:
That could be oil flung from the chain, the front sprocket goes round a lot faster than the back.

My '11 ticks really badly I've had it at 2 different mechanics and they both thought it was OK
I am paranoid though as I only had it a week and it had to have a new camshaft and valves fitted
Also my bike (2011) had a rocker head gasket go twice

I had what I initially thought was the same problem, oil around the sight glass area, there seemed to be some casing sealant spillage too. But, closer inspection showed that the sealant was not a problem, just a messy build, and the thick black oil was from the chain. Post a picture if you can?

I'd say chain fling! Same place as mine, but I use a scottoiler so more mess on mine. Clean it all off, take it for a run and see what happens?

Yeah cheers guys I did clean it asay and rode yesterday and saw no oil coming out, will check back after work. Cheers

Back