My 2015 S1000RR observations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
300 miles, thats some blast! First thing I did on my '13 RR was change the screen as the wind was buffeting my helmet something chronic when sitting up above 80mph, my '15 bike is miles better (well at least for a 6 footer) as the airflow hits me in the chest and keeps the weight off my wrists, how do you find the high screen?

I'm a short ass (5'9") at 90 with the standard screen the wind was right under my helmet. It was like someone pulling me up off the bike by the shoulders. Awful. Above 100 it was unbearable. With the high screen the wind blast is around the helmet but if I hunker down an inch or so I'm almost out of it. Great.

Well after a week of ownership and 400 miles on the clock, my first impressions are..

Good points.

It's very easy to ride, not intimidating at all.

Feels light and flickable, more like a 600/750 than a 1000.

Build quality on mine (I know others have issues..) is excellent, not disappointed at all.

Makes some lovely noises, popping exhaust, gear whine/drone, quickshifter popping between shifts etc. V addictive!

Not so good points. (I can't call any bad points..yet)

Gearshift is stiff, especially the downshifting (auto blipper), someone described it as stepping on a steak and kidney pie, I see what they mean now, it's easing up the more miles I do, but that might be me getting used to it and being more aggressive with my left foot!

Heated grips at 100% - The salesman said not to leave them on at this setting and the manual says use it to get the grips warm then switch to 50% asap, all well and good but a few evening rides my fingers have been numb from the cold and the heated grips were next to useless! Found myself flicking it back to 100% to warm them back up surely they could've had more than two settings??

Other than that i'm loving the bike and finding myself riding faster (even tho I'm still restricted to 9k revs) than my previous R1/GSXR1000. Just a brilliant bike and really compliments my riding. Can't wait til first service is done!

Here it is when I returned home from picking it up :)

_DSC1157_zpsttbdlyy2.jpg

I leave my grips on 100%. Surely they would switch back after a while if this was the case. Serotonin, check if your wiring loom is trapped by the left fork leg on right lock.

Of course the other thing to do is wear thermal gloves rather than vented summer gloves! If myself wearing my Astar thermal gloves far more than my GP pluses, that plus 50% on the heated grips equals no numb fingers which is a trade off I'm prepared to make v's ultimate protection. Does anyone make thermal lined race gloves?

Last edited:
I leave my grips on 100%. Surely they would switch back after a while if this was the case. Serotonin, check if your wiring loom is trapped by the left fork leg on right lock.

You'd think they would but apparently they don't. I'm only going by what I was told at the dealership, otherwise I'd leave them on at 100% too. I've been using summer gloves and knox cold killer liners when it's been chilly, can't beat winter gloves to keep hands warm tho. Summer isn't quite here yet!

Loom doesn't seem to be trapped, bit of creaking noise from the steering damper but I imagine that'll disappear as it breaks in.

My observations (in no specific order) comparing my 2013 bike to the demo bike i rode on Wednesday:

The auto blipper is fun, but makes the gear lever feel really spongy. feels like there is a 7th and -1 gear. It took me a while to get used to the springy gear shift. Also on 3 occasions it selected neutral when downshifting to 1st. letting the revs die and kicking it down to first resulted in a nice little rear wheel slide, so be careful!

The mirrors seem to give better rear view - less elbows!
The engine start button felt higher.
Bike turns in sharper.
Midrange grunt is noticeably better.
Electonic suspension is good, but not hugely different from my well setup 2013.
Zero headshake at stupid high speeds, probably thanks to the better suspension - my 2013 bike shakes from about 140mph.
More ridable at slow speeds in 1st gear - less jerky.
Anti wheelie seems to allow longer duration, higher wheelies :)
lean angle display is good fun - shame it resets between rides.
Mpg and range meters are useful.

The stock exhaust is like an opera singer - huge and ugly, but sounds fantastic! letting off to hear the pops is addictive.

Selling the bike with rear pegs and pillion seat as an option is clever money saving idea.

The plastic discs covering the rear peg bolt holes look cheap and tacky - replace with R&G blanking plate (do 2013 plates fit a 2015 bike?)

So my verdict - its a great bike. if i didnt alreay have the 2013 bike i would buy one.
However, i'm undecided as to whether its good enough to warrant the extra 4-6k id need to shell out if i traded in my bike for the 2015 bike... Are the differences really worth the extra dosh?? im still not sure... i might wait for the first revision and get the extra stuff they held back from this release.

You'd think they would but apparently they don't. I'm only going by what I was told at the dealership, otherwise I'd leave them on at 100% too. I've been using summer gloves and knox cold killer liners when it's been chilly, can't beat winter gloves to keep hands warm tho. Summer isn't quite here yet!

Loom doesn't seem to be trapped, bit of creaking noise from the steering damper but I imagine that'll disappear as it breaks in.

My damper makes a squishing noise too, I think they're all the same, as for the loom issue mine was the same here too and I pointed this out to the dealer before delivery, they adjusted the loom positon so it didn't snag. You can feel the difference, right lock hits the stop but left lock doesn't, it squishes the loom ever so slightly beforehand.

Joeman - don't mean to be picky - but the screws covering the holes for the pillion pegs are alloy - not plastic. I thought they were plastic too until I removed them to put my R&G blanks in. I've now left the originals in as (imho) they look loads better.

Joeman - don't mean to be picky - but the screws covering the holes for the pillion pegs are alloy - not plastic. I thought they were plastic too until I removed them to put my R&G blanks in. I've now left the originals in as (imho) they look loads better.

Ah OK.. I didnt feel them, they just looked like bits of plastic.
Still, I'm not a fan of them. Did you use R&G blanks from the previous model bike? If so, good to know they fit and that would suggest the rear pegs from a 2nd generation bike would also fit the 3rd generation.

My damper makes a squishing noise too, I think they're all the same, as for the loom issue mine was the same here too and I pointed this out to the dealer before delivery, they adjusted the loom positon so it didn't snag. You can feel the difference, right lock hits the stop but left lock doesn't, it squishes the loom ever so slightly beforehand.

I checked mine today, going from lock to lock there isn't much room between the fork leg and loom, but it doesn't touch, just creaking from the steering damper. I've got first service booked Friday so i'll mention it regardless.

The stock exhaust is like an opera singer - huge and ugly, but sounds fantastic! letting off to hear the pops is addictive.

Best description I've heard for the stock exhaust! :D

I've had my 2015rr for 36 hours and done 200 miles.... first impressions:

What rocks:

The suspension:

I came off a 2011 model and in terms of what it does to the ride and how smooth and planted it feels at speed is truly very cool. I 'imagine' that 120 feels more like 80 did on the 2011 bike.

Brakes:

Shit hot.

Gearbox autoblipper and exhaust:

Marv - love it all. Do understand that you have to 'make friends and get to know' your shifter when changing down from 2nd to first. Can't stop rolling on and off the throttle and changing gear unnecessarily to hear the auto-blipper and exhaust.

Handling:

Tips in so well it's like magic. Had the HP rear sets which look good but haven't tinkered yet until more miles are under the belt

Cruise control - yeah baby, no hands and a snooze through the 50 cameras......

NOT SO GOOD:

Paint:

Perhaps a tad thin in the white areas - time will tell. Don't like the graphics on the tail section of motorsport - looks in my opinion like the crap aftermarket stickers that some put on the 2010 motorsport model.

Seat cowl:

Bag of crap - none of the cowls fit snugly on the 2015 bikes so will let in water to the electrics and rust tools and anything else you put in the there - needs a nice rubber seal you can see daylight through the bike FFS - poor craftsmanship, be ashamed BMW.

Side stand:

With the HP rear sets fitted I can't get purchase with my boot to push the stand down - keeps taking several goes and makes me look like a plonker lol

PS Can I play with the lean angle stuff yet or is that a first service toy too?

Last edited:
PS Can I play with the lean angle stuff yet or is that a first service toy too?

Nope, it's all there, just turn the measurements on in the menu. After the first service you get launch control and the rev limiter removed.

I put my slick plug in on day 1 to get access to user mode.

Agree mate, although lovely the HP rear sets make it an absolute twat to get side stand down:nightmare:
Especially with my short legs

how wierd to hear you guys having problems with sidestand i have real short legs and also hp sets and found the sidestand very easy to flickdown
if only touching the ground were as easy

Latest posts

Back