My 2015 S1000RR observations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have thought you would be fine as long as you don't have an accident on the road while in slick mode on standard tyres..

You don't have to leave the plug in situ According to my dealer. Once its loaded that's it.......

Someone is going to try it out.....
but whilst guessing, I agree, the manual always says 'with the slick plug inserted'.
On my 2012 you can't put it in slick mode on the dash with the plug not inserted ... Just tried it .

has any one crashed their bike yet and have actually had the insurance company come out to check that they was in slick mode ?? I doubt it very much.

Todays observations cruise control is wicked for giving your throttle hand a rest and the hp restarts have transformed the bike from uncomfortable to comfortable

It means use the clutch instead of the gear shift Assist, it used to say dont use gear assist near or at max revs.

Enjoy your new bike.
Put an HM GP seamless shifter on it make the BMW feel like crap. ....

Just spoken to my insurer, Bananaman you're getting me worried! They said the slick plug on the bike makes no difference whatsoever to insurance as long as it is not increasing the performance of the bike.

I know that in other countries there are issues with using the slick plug and insurance, but apparently not here. I stand to be corrected.........

Thanks for that. I cant see any reason why the slick plug would invalidate insurance. I specifically asked about warranty, which it was then pointed out that it says "on reduced power" ie: before the first service, which is fine.

I know Slick mode is for the track primarily, but just because you have the machine in slick mode on the road, does not mean you are on a race track, and therefore makes no difference.

And to answer a previous poster, yes the plug is needed to open the "user" mode.

I put my slick plugin on day 1- I have nno interest in slick mode but as mentioned you need it for USER mode.

One thing I've noticed with DDC is that it's firm when upright, which meant at first I was anxious leaning the bike right over- years of riding conventional suspension means my brain is hard-wired to expect a flighty bike on it's ear, but when you actually get over that and really lean it in, you can feel the suspension softening up to give the tyres a chance. That's the real "magic carpet" impression for me. Very clever, and once I got my head round it I spent a few dozen happy laps round my local roundabout. Still can't eradicate the last 10mm of chicken strips though....

I've ended up at -2 for the forks and -1 com/reb on the shock. You can really feel each virtual "click" too.

I've endeed up with my forks on

After wearing out my tyres on track in 2 days I needed some new ones for the 3rd day. The fitter on site only had a 200 section available and said it would go on no bother,which it did. Had a great last day going flat out (for me). Just read in the manual if you fit a 200 rear you have to get the dtc recalibrated by the dealer otherwise it wont work! Gulp. Guess i dodged a bullet.

Hi all,
Just taken mine for a blast after having the Limiter removed and had it in user mode with every thing in road and engine in slick.
1st impressions are that it is easy to ride fast but still need your wits about you. It will still wheelie to the same level as my gsxr but could feel traction control kick in when giving it gas when leant over. Autoblipper and quick shifter were faultless at all speeds so all in all good all round package. Steering damper needs turning up and have not played with suspension settings as seem alright as set by the factory including braking through a range of speeds.

Dean

After wearing out my tyres on track in 2 days I needed some new ones for the 3rd day. The fitter on site only had a 200 section available and said it would go on no bother,which it did. Had a great last day going flat out (for me). Just read in the manual if you fit a 200 rear you have to get the dtc recalibrated by the dealer otherwise it wont work! Gulp. Guess i dodged a bullet.

Apparently,dealers cannot reset the dtc at the moment.Depending on spec they are set at the factory.
The update to the dealers software is expected to be available in June.
As I understand it,fitting the 200 tyre in place of the 190 'leads to losses in forward momentum for the traction control system'.
I ran mine with 195/65 Dunlop slicks and it seemed to have adequate forward momentum!!!
People have been fitting different tyres for years to the s1000rr,with no detrimental effects.

Thanks baz - that's good to know

An option on the 2015 S1000RR is to have the HP wheels these come with 200/55 tyres ( no calibration needed) I regularly use Pirelli 200/60 and Dunlop 195/65 with no issues

An option on the 2015 S1000RR is to have the HP wheels these come with 200/55 tyres ( no calibration needed) I regularly use Pirelli 200/60 and Dunlop 195/65 with no issues

Correct,though BMW do calibrate for the HP wheels at the factory.At present,they also state that if the dealer fits forged wheels as a replacement for cast wheels then they must fit 190 tyres,and not 200.This is why they intend to update the dealer software.

Correct,though BMW do calibrate for the HP wheels at the factory.At present,they also state that if the dealer fits forged wheels as a replacement for cast wheels then they must fit 190 tyres,and not 200.This is why they intend to update the dealer software.

Playing with the different menus I noticed there was a calibration section?

Back