M7RR or Racetec RR K3

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny130

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advise. I dont do a lot of miles. Mostly in the dry and a couple of track days a year. Just dont want to go for the RR if they will be sketchy on the road and its wet? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Metzler have released the M9RR and has had some great reviews so far. Maybe an option at looking at that too

I would probably go for the M7, or new M9?s as Marc says.
In my opinion that class of all-round sport tyre give plenty of dry grip performance, but still offer good wet weather grip if/when it rains.

That being said, if you never willingly ride in the rain, do limited road mileage and are on track a couple times a year then maybe it?s better to just go for the Racetecs.
The K3 compound are a road compound, so they certainly aren?t dangerous in the wet (on road), it just means you won?t be able to lean over as far due to the lack of tread.

Decisions [emoji848]

M9RR is the sweet spot between the 2. Think of it as K3 RR on the edges and M7 in the middle.

- Alex

ive just swapped the k3 for the m9rr's. for road riding theres no difference in grip. both let you get your knees down easily. the main difference is the feel. the k3 make the front nervous and trys to pull you down onto the edge where it was designed to be. the m9's are a lot less track focused and give a nice neutral feel, well this is what ive found. i had the m7's on lots of previous bikes and loved then too. not tried the m9's in the wet yet but if there as good as the 7's you wont go wrong. :)

Personal preference really - but if you only ride in the dry and do a couple of track days I'd go for the K3's. I've ran M7RR before on road and track but never felt as confident with the front end as I did with the K3's. I've now got Michelin Power RS and they are good but I think I'll replace with K3 again next time...?..

Personal preference really - but if you only ride in the dry and do a couple of track days I'd go for the K3's. I've ran M7RR before on road and track but never felt as confident with the front end as I did with the K3's. I've now got Michelin Power RS and they are good but I think I'll replace with K3 again next time...?..

i found the RS to wallow around at 50 degree+ angles. felt like riding in wet even when dry. :)

I think end of the day buy what you think would suit you and your riding style. We all weigh differently...we all ride differently...some might get bigger lean angles and some might hang off more therefore experiencing different 'feedback' from all sets of tyres.

Both brands have worked well with the RR...decisions decisions decisions

i found the RS to wallow around at 50 degree+ angles. felt like riding in wet even when dry. :)

I have the RS+ on mine and have noticed the same, just loses the feedback. But i also think they are really sensitive to air pressures. No idea what i will go for next as i have another 2 sets of the things as they were on special offer for 150 a pair!

I had the M7RR on my Daytona, i liked them on the road a lot but couldn't get on with them on track. But then again i was new to it all back then (still am). Another option is Bridgestone S22s. I really liked the S21s on the BM and read good things about the updated S22.

it is amazing isnt it how we feel something is different ,ive tried lots of different tyres and cant tell the difference between any of them as long as they stick to the tarmac thats good for me
I shelled out for a TTX Ohlins rear shock on my old ZX10r and it didnt feel any better at all to the standard shock !
Michelin Power RS on my bike and they cope with coldish tyres at 50 degree lean angle on my local roundabout :)

FWIW, there's new Continental options...the road biased Sport Attack 4's and the Race Attack Street 2's.
I'd put money on them being decent...I may sling a set of the latter on my Titax rims.

Can anyone give me some advise. I dont do a lot of miles. Mostly in the dry and a couple of track days a year. Just dont want to go for the RR if they will be sketchy on the road and its wet? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
It depends on many things I guess, both of these are excellent options though. For me it would be about what you?re planning to do over the next 6 months. Without doubt, I?d go for the k3?s in terms of feel and feedback. They will absolutely come into their own if you manage a trackday. I really like them on the road too, love the pointy profile and amazing tip in when cornering. They are poor in the wet, but if you don?t want to ride in the wet, who cares? K3?s are fine in the wet and cold, but you will be riding as if mincing about in high heals On a skating rink, which can be fun, but hard bloody work. The problem with the k3?s is the cost of replacing them. 2 trackdays and 2k road miles, they will be ruined. Very expensive option!
The M7?s are awesome though, and if you don?t want to be replacing them all the time and don?t want to get caught out suddenly needing replacements like the k3?s, go for those. It?s a $$$ V fun equation!

I've got both. M7RR on the R1 and the K3 on the Gen 4. For me it's the K3 all day long, I'm mega impressed with the K3s

My RR has only ever had K3 or M7RRs on it. For the riding you have quoted I would definitely for for the M9RR. Based on the experience of the M7s, you'll get significantly more mileage on them - I get 4-5k out of a rear M7, whereas I got 0.8-2.2k from a K3... and I haven't yet noticed the difference on track as yet (I'm in fast group). If it wasn't for this ***** virus I was going to put K3s back on to see if I could appreciate the difference on track yet, but I suspect I'll go for M9s for this year if/when I get the chance to finish off the current rubber.

I also have an S1R which had S20s when I got it, now has S22s - I was blown away by the difference in grip (could be OEM vs proper tyres...), and I have considered trying them on the RR... but i kinda trust Metzlers, so doubt i'll do it

Last edited:
Se as Rick above I had the OEM s20 fitted and bikes got 6k on it now, just got a new set of M9RR on last Thursday and haven't had any decent weather since. First impressions seem good but I need a warmer day to test. I've had s21 for the past few years on my Honda and loved them, only went for the metz to see how they felt

Latest posts

Back