Everyday bike??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMD80

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

After a couple of years on a GS, I have the itch to get back on an RR (I had a Gen 3 before). After a brief stint with an XR (which was gutless low down) I bought the GS. I wanted a bike that was versatile; that could be used for commuting to work, going away for weekends with my missus (who is a new rider and not a fast rider), and basically I wanted to slow down a bit and be happy riding at steady speeds rather than always feeling the need to go fast everywhere!

The GS is a great bike, loads of torque and fast enough for the roads, but it?s not very engaging (I often compare it to driving an automatic estate car). If I had the cash and garage space I would have both, but unfortunately that?s not the case.

So, I was just wondering how many people use the Gen 4/5 RR as an ?all-rounder? rather than a weapon for fast road riding and track days. Any tips on making it more useable for longer (more steady) rides, commuting, weekends away, etc. or am I trying to make the bike something it was never intended to be?

Thanks for any advice/insight.

Cheers,
Ross

Thought about the R? I find the upright position is easier to have a gentler ride on, but it's perfectly capable if you change your mind. Always found the RR a nervous commuter, esp when filtering - doesn't like going slow. Wider bars make it easier.

I have one bike, a Gen 4, and use it for everything. I too am considering a switch to something else and have tried a couple of other bikes. I can?t get away with a naked bike. I end up feeling like a sail in the wind. Must be my size (short). So far the RR ticks more boxes all round. It's obviously good for track days. I use mine 95% on road. I'm currently halfway through a trip round Spain and Portugal and, come rain or shine, the bike has been faultless. Yes, there are more comfortable bikes out there but in a set of sweeping bends it just puts a huge smile on my face. It's going to be tough to move to something else. I asked a similar question in the "general bike chat" about the R1250RS. Some good feedback on that thread too. The only grip for me is the overly firm set suspension (I'm light too). I swapped my M seat for a standard one. That's the only comfort concession.

ive done loads of commuting on mine, i got my seat made softer and that allowed me to tour scotland twice with no sore bum issues, im not a slight lad at all, heavy boned is how my mum would describe me, tubby is how the wife says it though. I filter no problem on mine, used it for town runs and track days, never feels out of its comfort zone one bit. I am going to be buying something more comfortable in the near future, a goldwing is even catching my eye haha, but thats just because the wife is tempted to go touring with me

Thanks for the replies, guys. I rode the R when buying my Gen 3 and didn?t like the lack of wind protection (at 6?3), but perhaps I should try the newer version and accept that wind blast maybe the trade off I need to accept. It?s good to hear that a couple of you are using the bike for everything. Perhaps I should ask the dealer if I can take the new RR out for the best part of a day and see how I get on.

I just have a fly screen on my (old shape) R, never been bothered by the wind (also 6"2) so haven't considered a bigger screen (the OEM tall screen looked awful anyway)... I'm not sure if that fly screen does anything, but it looks more comprehensive than anything on the new one :)

Last edited:
Use mine for all occasions ( no track days, will get round to this one day!) . But in particular, I commute into the outskirts of London ( when the sun shines) and haven't come across any stumbling blocks yet.

My Previous K46 RR competently managed this in all weathers for many years ( I did have it heavily dialled in to my needs in the end) so I'm expecting this and hopefully more from the K67 in due course.

But, the best thing if possible is a long test ride in as many scenarios & conditions that suit your needs.

I think S1000RR?s and S1000R?s make great all-round sporting motorcycles. My Gen 3 RR was used for everything and performed superbly. I had a Gen 2 era XR which turned out to be a 1 minute wonder that I never gelled with for several reasons.
I?ve just picked up a 2023 S1000R, which is a great bike, but comparing to the RR, there?s pros and cons to both. The RR?s wind protection is excellent, the ergos are absolutely fine at National speeds, and the suspension is way more adjustable. The single R has the better ergos for slow speed riding (more leverage, slightly more upright) but coming from a faired bike you will definitely notice the complete lack of wind protection at National speeds. For reference, I?m 6ft 2?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I did a BMW track day at Donington on Wednesday using the S1000RR. Had a great time and the bike was incredible - definitely wasted on my talent (or lack of!). I went to the dealer today but the price being offered for my GS was far less than I expected (probably due to the new 1300 being released in September and the dealer anticipating being flooded with used 1250s). I?ve told them that I?ll need to take the RR out for the day before I can make a decision.

I currently have a Gen 3 RR and it's only really a toy for the good weather however I do use it to commute to work on the odd occasion. It's totally fine for what I use it for, although not much fun in the city centre. Never had any issues with filtering etc just doesn't like going super slow and not very comfy doing so either.

I went and test rode a 23 XR and thought it was going to have me selling the RR to get one but it was the exact opposite, all it did was confirm to me that the RR is the bike for me for a while longer!

I currently have a Gen 3 RR and it's only really a toy for the good weather however I do use it to commute to work on the odd occasion. It's totally fine for what I use it for, although not much fun in the city centre. Never had any issues with filtering etc just doesn't like going super slow and not very comfy doing so either.

I went and test rode a 23 XR and thought it was going to have me selling the RR to get one but it was the exact opposite, all it did was confirm to me that the RR is the bike for me for a while longer!

Thanks mate. I had thought about the XR. I had the Gen 1 (which I kept about a year before getting another Gen 3 RR), but a mate has the Gen 2 XR and thinks it?s much better (but from Oli?s post, that seems to not be the case). I found the XR was too much of a compromise and if you want an upright bike which can do a lot of miles, the GS is almost perfect (once you get used to it). I think I?m going to take a punt and do my best to make the RR work for me, I?m just looking at prices/ trade-in, etc.

I?d also be interested to hear peoples views on whether forged wheels are worth going for, with respect to better handling, looks, re-sale value. I?d use the bike mainly for road, a few track days per year hopefully but I'm inexperienced when it comes to track days so it?s not like I?m chasing lap times, I?m just trying to learn and get better.

Latest posts

Back