K46 observations whilst on tour in France and Spain last week

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmooth

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Riding my 2018 K46 - had a great 2000 mile 10 day ride with my son from Plymouth>Santander>Pamplona>Pyrenees>Nimes>Nice>Lyon>Le Mans>Roscoff - 90% A roads and B roads - stayed in cheap edge of town or small village hotels for <?40 per night.

External daytime temperatures ranged from 22C-36C

Observations - Spanish / French road surfaces are very good. Most long distance traffic has now migrated onto the busy motorway network because of the speed restrictions to 80/90 kph on the A/B roads - loads of static cameras everywhere on the A/B roads but we 'made progress' between the cameras. I felt for the locals getting stuck for miles behind big trucks on their A/B roads.

Make sure you have a physical UK bank debit or credit card for France for fuel - Revolut debit cards and ApplePay rarely work in the unmanned fuel stations in France - fuel stations in France are few and far between in the countryside - mainly at the supermarkets. Cash is still necessary everywhere in France - especially in bars which state on the doors they take take cards. Nearly a bit of 'Entente Cordiale' in one bar with the owner - until he got his payment machine out from under the counter after we'd drunk our beers.

When it was 36C outside, my bike water temperature was 97C - 105C - I thought I was losing coolant until I went out to check in the morning, expansion chamber at the normal position - the bike just runs really hot when it is really hot outside - even when travelling at speed. Blew a dipped headlight bulb and the corresponding 7.5A micro fuse located under the pillion seat - 2nd fuse down on the RHS bank - didn't have lamp warning switched on to warn me - will do now.

Apparently, since late last year, it is now illegal to filter between lines of traffic on French roads - that was ignored by us.

Wore leathers and took slip on wet weather gear - an old slip on jacket and the tape on the seams fell out = jacket disintegrated and ripped apart in tatters over the only wet day we had - took two days for the leathers to dry out.

Other than that we had an absolute blast.

re filtering - I appreciate you've just been there and I am a keyboard jockey, but every search result I found on this suggests that it is still permissible on motorways and roads with at least two lanes, and just like UK, should only be done with slow/stationery traffic between the outmost two lanes. One result suggested it is an extended trial since 2021 which may yet be revoked in 2024...

I got that nugget from a RoSPA Chief Observer from Cumbria who I met on the boat journey home on Saturday - I'll check with him again, but you know me - I would still ignore the no filtering and suggest that if anyone wants to argue, they could bite me....

Anyway, more's the point - how's you Colin? Are you well on the road to recovery this year? Finished with your operations? PM me if you'd rather not share.

BR
Steve

Oh and by the way, I can thoroughly recommend doing the public road sections of the Le Mans circuit.

Down the Mulsanne straight (D338), past the right and left chicanes which are closed off, continue past the Kink down to the Mulsanne Corner roundabout, first exit right onto the D140 up towards and fast through the banked Indianapolis corner and through the Arnage tight right hand corner on the roundabout then first exit right up the D139 towards the Porsche Curves. The road peels off before you reach the Porsche Curves but at 9pm at night, with the sun setting and the throttle pinned with little or no traffic, it is very, very fast and the corners come up way too quickly, but cracking fun at full chat....

The Le Mans museum has had a significant makeover, we wanted to see the 4 rotor Wankel engined #55 Mazda 787B (Herbert, Weidler, Gatchot) which is currently on display in Europe for the first time since it won Le Mans in 1991- we had a very entertaining couple of hours there and it is open every day of the week until 7pm with Friday and Saturday nights until midnight.

Anyway, more's the point - how's you Colin? Are you well on the road to recovery this year? Finished with your operations? PM me if you'd rather not share.

Bored. Lots better, but still can't walk more than a mile without getting into difficulty - I spend 30-60 mins a day doing physio. However doesn't stop me riding a bike, have done a couple of rides, so we should go for one soon.

I am even supposed to do the BMW club event at Cadwell in 2/3 weeks... need to make a quick call on that. Also got Jamie Whit in Sep at Anglesey... actually, must go check I can still fit into my leathers... the gym is still a distant dream unless I join the grannies for water aerobics :)

Latest posts

Back