John McGuiness on the Norton

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCullenRR

Reaction score
As above.

23-time Isle of Man TT winner John McGuinness has signed for Norton Racing ahead of his comeback from injury for 2018.The 45-year-old was forced out of the 2018 Isle of Man TT after a nasty crash at the North West 200 during practice for the Superbike race in which he suffered a broken vertebrae, ribs and compound fractures to his right lower leg.McGuinness has been using an external fixator cage to heal his right leg and is targeting a comeback this year with Norton to team-mate Josh Brookes after splitting with Honda at the end of last season.

McGuinness, who was feared to be out of top level road racing because of his leg injury, is relishing his return with iconic manufacturer Norton in the Superbike and Senior TT races.?I didn?t want to end my career due to an injury, but the truth is I didn?t know whether I would be able to come back as I didn?t know how fit I was going to be,? McGuinness said. ?Right now, things are going well. I feel a lot sharper and my head is in gear and ready to go. The plan is to get the external fixator cage off my leg by the end of this month and after that we can start working towards getting bike fit and testing.

?I?m definitely ready for a change of manufacturer. I needed an injection of enthusiasm and I?ve found it with Norton. From the first time I met with Stuart [Garner] the vibe was there and the passion. I watched Steve Hislop win the TT on the Norton in 1992 and it was massive. Everyone remembers that.
?We can?t get carried away, it?s going to be a big job but I?ve watched a lot of YouTube videos of the bike in action, I watched the bike out on track last year and it?s clearly a very fast and capable bike and I can tell you there are worse handling bikes out there too, so there?s no reason we can?t do the business if the stars line up right.?Norton CEO Stuart Garner is thrilled to secure McGuinness and is confident his experience an knowledge at the TT can help the team reach the next level.?We?ve been talking to John for a year or more, he?s the talent,? Garner said. ?He?s the man at the TT with the total experience, the results and the pedigree. We have the ambition to win the TT and to go on to develop a really strong team in years to come. We?d got John in our sights for a long time.
?To get John in the Norton team with his experience and knowledge available is fabulous. Norton will seize the opportunity to get John involved in all aspects of the bike ? he?s a huge asset to Norton. Everyone in the factory has got a huge buzz. It?s pretty special. ?We?re all looking forward to the TT but we?ve not set any targets and take nothing for granted. Putting John McGuiness and Norton together is a dream team, but we know all results at the TT are hard earned whatever your name.? - Taken from Crash.Net

Pretty good move in my opinion, Im sure Josh Brookes said last year that the bike was good enough to win with the right rider on board. Add the fact that Hutchy is joining Honda on a bike most still believe isnt ready to compete at the TT (Strange move I think), And Dunlop on board the Suzuki which only completed 1 of the 2 big bike races this year, could really put McGuiness in contention on board the Norton.

Not to mention its good to have a Brit on board the British machine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant news. Let's hope he's fit enough in time.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reading this has made my day Greg, cheers for the update.

Would love to see him back in contention, he is an absolute gentleman who always has time for the general public. Made my whole TT fortnight when he won his last Senior in 2015.

ad8a9e18d49b573d400084635e8064e1.jpg

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I'm no fan of guy Martin. Seen the way he acted when I was at a TT and think he's a asshole. Besides that I don't think he can sustain the pace to win a tt

I'm no fan of guy Martin. Seen the way he acted when I was at a TT and think he's a asshole. Besides that I don't think he can sustain the pace to win a tt

He does have significant Social related mental issues, he's on the Autism spectrum.
Autism is quite the handicap is social scenarios especially when they have something they need to be doing.
Not saying he wasn't an ass, but there may have been other things going on and he's quite clearly not without socially handicapping issues.

If you watch his first series of the record breaking show he's arrogant and dismissive.

They highly edited him for the next few times make him seem nicer

Tbf I give my support in any sport to the people or teams that try the hardest, play the fairest, and sometimes beat the odds. We all have bad days and behave in ways that can be found in the playground. I have the utmost respect for all roadracers because they have much bigger balls than I ever will. McGuiness is a legend, I just hope he calls it a day before his luck runs out. Martin has, I feel, been turned by the celebrity status he gained, and lost his hunger to win. His first documentary about the tt was hilarious, especially knocking one out in his van the night before qualifying, and then the speed series when he became completely smitten with one of the women he was filming with, it was great tv for what it was. He has done well for himself in an industry that offers little financial rewards, I would have done the same, more money and living for another day, hard to turn down. He might well be an arsehole, I dont know him personally.

Reading this has made my day Greg, cheers for the update.

Would love to see him back in contention, he is an absolute gentleman who always has time for the general public. Made my whole TT fortnight when he won his last Senior in 2015.

ad8a9e18d49b573d400084635e8064e1.jpg

JimmyMac

Thats a great pic jimmy.

In case anyone is interested;

An autistic adult rarely seeks contact with other people. Thus, he is likely to have very few, if any, friends. Even when he is in contact with others, he typically does so to gain something. For example, he might ask a person to cook for him. It is quite typical for him to not show empathy and might seem cold or distant to other people. He does not take into account what kind of topics might interest other people, but keeps on talking about something that interests him when he engages in conversations. An autistic adult often avoids eye contact, making it difficult for her to function socially.

So throwing them into highly social situations with lots of 'fame' is the direct opposite of what they want, he's done well to achieve all he has despite it, it's actually the condition that made him in a way when you read about the specific types of communication he uses. See: https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/...nctioning-Verbal-Children-and-Adults-with-ASD
(Spectrum means you have some traits, someone with it does not need all types)

My point is that his supposed arrogance and dismissive nature is not by choice...it's built in...

I know plenty of people who are in some form autistic. And alot who are just plain awkward.

I'll make time for anyone. I've a tendency to presume people are top people unless proved wrong.

My dislike of guy is down to anytime iv seen him or been near him the way he's acted is very poor. And this is over years.

I know plenty of people who are in some form autistic. And alot who are just plain awkward.

I'll make time for anyone. I've a tendency to presume people are top people unless proved wrong.

My dislike of guy is down to anytime iv seen him or been near him the way he's acted is very poor. And this is over years.

Thats fair enough, glad you?re coming from a position of understanding on it.
Even an Autistic person can be a twat :)

- Sent from a magical lightbox

In case anyone is interested;

An autistic adult rarely seeks contact with other people. Thus, he is likely to have very few, if any, friends. Even when he is in contact with others, he typically does so to gain something. For example, he might ask a person to cook for him. It is quite typical for him to not show empathy and might seem cold or distant to other people. He does not take into account what kind of topics might interest other people, but keeps on talking about something that interests him when he engages in conversations. An autistic adult often avoids eye contact, making it difficult for her to function socially.

So throwing them into highly social situations with lots of 'fame' is the direct opposite of what they want, he's done well to achieve all he has despite it, it's actually the condition that made him in a way when you read about the specific types of communication he uses. See: https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/...nctioning-Verbal-Children-and-Adults-with-ASD
(Spectrum means you have some traits, someone with it does not need all types)

My point is that his supposed arrogance and dismissive nature is not by choice...it's built in...

I live with a child on the autistic spectrum, it isn't easy and is very misunderstood. I love John McGuinness but I wish he'd hang his boots up now for his own and his families sake, I also love Guy Martin, what a career he's forged for himself, he doesn't need to prove anything in my book. Will MD run away with it this year? Will Hutchy gel with the Fireblade....? Or will Hicky show them all he's the man to beat? Can't wait :)

I'd like to have seen mcguiness retire as he's got nothing else to prove and I can't really see him winning another tt unless he gets a ride on the elec bike. Can't see anyone beating MD especially with Hutchy not fully fit and riding a Honda but I think Hicky will run him very close.

Problem is he only 45 and this sport does not pay well. He is a business and for that business to sell its merchandise etc he has to be seen riding.
It’s not all about winning.
But yeah for his health and his family sanity it would of been nice to see him leave the racing game behind.

+1 for this, He is marketing himself, and Him on a British bike is a marketing loophole that is simply just awaiting to be exploited, never mind if he manege's to win on it. The more he stays in the public eye the better his merchandise sells and the more money he makes in what is widely known as an industry where cash is tight and most riders have to pay for there own rides etc (or at least contribute to it). Id be thinking that Norton will also be offering McGuiness a pretty pay packet to jump on board the bike too, Might not be as much as he was getting as a HRC rider but still lucrative enough to give it a chance.

On the TT as a whole, I do think MD will run away with it this year, I genuinely think he can do the 5. The Honda IMO isnt ready and the move by Hutchy seems a strange one. Got to be down to cash or some other lucrative explanation as he was pretty much guaranteed a win on either the Tyco BMW or the R6. I think the biggest threat to Dunlop will come from Hicky on board a tried and trusted Smiths BMW & Triumph 675r, I was there last year and when MD broke down in the superbike race Hicky was without doubt the fastest man on track, he lost time in pits and talking to a few blokes in Douglas that night who where watching around the area where the yellow flags were, they said Hutchy was still flat out through the yellows, where as Hicky was slowing down to give some room.
:indecisiveness::

He can't be that bad for money can he?

Saying that he's doing a appearance at a bike show in cork Ireland end of the month. Can't imagine theyd be able to pay big money to get a "celeb" rider.

Latest posts

Back