First ride out and disaster!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro3178

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
At last some sunshine yesterday so decided to get the bike out. Only just finished giving her a full service etc ready for summer. Didn?t even get 5 mins from the house when disaster struck me! I remember the bike was still red line rev count half way so not even warmed up, car head pulls in and I accelerate slightly to pass him, pass ok and I am about to pull to my left and slam! Hit the deck!! No sliding no warning just slam! I think I was going somewhere between 40-50. The car behind was kind enough to stop and even he commented on how my back tyre just went straight out. I don?t remember smelling any fuel or oil so I can only put it down to cold tyres and bad luck. Spent yesterday in hospital getting checked out and thankfully I?ve walked away ok apart from extreme pain with bruised ribs to my right and my left hand is swollen and in a lot of pain, they couldn?t see any fractures but the swelling is really bad so I might have to go back if the hand doesn?t get better over a few days. I?ve got pretty much all the damaged parts off the bike now which comes down to exhaust , front screen , front top fairing , front brake level , brake pedal , crash bobbin , right wing mirror, rear top fairing and possibly rear where fairings attach as there are plastic parts broken but no idea if this is actually replaceable . Helmet is toast and so is my jacket but thank god for them as more than likely saved my life! Oh, gloves are gone also. Removing exhaust shows that it?s no longer a perfect circle so may require some work before fitting new one. Any advice at all on anything I should check or get checked would be appreciated, I would really appreciate advice on the rear tailgate part and if this can be replaced if necessary. I?ll upload some pictures and the one I have a red circle is the broken part at rear.

44bf511524673620eccdd4e55e8d5441.jpg

0d2550dfc1279a3db0087ce0e40ed5b9.jpg

e2d2eecc5c6f76ec2b9c5fb6f6fda152.jpg

be86e70f9c79d6b8f1f08d0c2521d7d2.jpg

ee5e3e807760975713ca6169e1b57c20.jpg

d0e57da73a94bc2975d73060fd2725dc.jpg

c4eeb9efd26317dde845d34048dcdceb.jpg

0ea8e0f567f64ce2bb6b4894a57baa86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That?s crap news mate but atleast you?re ok.

bike can fixed and in all honestly doesn?t look too bad.

I don?t road ride anymore but my memory of the past few days has been bitter cold so guessing no heat it the tyres.

Ahh that sucks, glad you're relatively ok...I hate the crashes you can't work out....

Cold rubber mate, pretty much a certainty going by your comments. Whipping the damaged parts off let's the "Dug see the Rabbit".. time to start scouring for replacements on FB and Ebay, you'll be sick to the pits of your stomach.

How's your hand, any damage or was it just staved?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Cold rubber mate, pretty much a certainty going by your comments. Whipping the damaged parts off let's the "Dug see the Rabbit".. time to start scouring for replacements on FB and Ebay, you'll be sick to the pits of your stomach.

How's your hand, any damage or was it just staved?

Swollen badly mate, hardly any movement in pinky finger and thumb, ribs feel like Mike Tyson has had a go lol , in all honesty though I?m just glad I?ve walked away from it , I still can?t believe how fast I hit the deck, I always thought you would feel something or at least some warning , not saying I could have done something but at least would have liked the second to say?. Oh shit!! Lol

Last edited:
Nightmare mate, can happen to anyone tho.

Your gears pretty duffed up too, you got helmet and leathers cover with your policy?..

Sorry to hear this, but glad you a relatively OK. Looks like your gear did (most) of its job of taking the damage instead of you. Hope you can fix up the bike soon. As Stuard says, likely cold tyres. Its been a bitter cold last few days even though sunny.

Nightmare mate, can happen to anyone tho.

Your gears pretty duffed up too, you got helmet and leathers cover with your policy?..

Unfortunately not mate. My helmet was due to be replaced anyway this year but my jacket is toast, if I?m honest though probably the best ?600 I?ve spent as it did it?s job so no complaints.

Sorry to hear this, but glad you a relatively OK. Looks like your gear did (most) of its job of taking the damage instead of you. Hope you can fix up the bike soon. As Stuard says, likely cold tyres. Its been a bitter cold last few days even though sunny.

Yeah agree mate , cold tyres is the most likely answer and like you say, weather wouldn?t have helped.

This is the only part I?m unsure about, the bit I have marked here is where a screw would go up through the fairing to hold it in place as well as the push clips. Does anyone happen to know if this is a complete back end to fix ?

4034cf53e84a9762dc51eeba127db24c.jpg

This is the only part I?m unsure about, the bit I have marked here is where a screw would go up through the fairing to hold it in place as well as the push clips. Does anyone happen to know if this is a complete back end to fix ?

4034cf53e84a9762dc51eeba127db24c.jpg

Managed to get it from the same year bike breaking on eBay.

I fired my bikes up in the garage at the weekend, first time started since October, lovely to hear them again. Then I come to forum and see this... nae luck. Hope the injuries heal fast, impressed how much you've to the bike already.

Sorry to hear this. Re the damage to the helmet and clothing - it might be worth checking with your house hold insurance. I always take out helmet and leathers insurance with the bike, but, a mate of mine always laughs at me for wasting money. He's made successful claims on his house hold insurance for leathers when he fell off. If it covers items of clothing for damage its worth trying. Its a jacket, just happens to be made of leather. You don't need to tell them its a motorcycle jacket. As I say, I've never tried but my mate has and had success.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, means a lot!

Oldwobbler thank you , that?s definitely worth a try!

Can anyone recommend something that could straighten this out without having to remove from the bike?

8e0c6b9f9badeb5f8802785b5475ff52.jpg

Heath-robinson job....Think you'd need to brace it around the outside with a jubilee clip whilst pushing in something with a taper to push the dent out...

Careful you don't make it larger than spec.
A breaker bar may ease it out...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back