Help - end can / full exhaust?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zziplex

Reaction score
Hi, need some advice. I'm wanting to fit the stubby Akro end can BMW supply as I want more noise!! I also would like to fit a bottom cowling to hide the cat, I've seen a cowling I like but the cat needs to be removed, I'm fairly handy so I'm not daunted by the work but im not sure in which direction to go as im worried about fault lights or performance problems caused by removing the cat. I've got about a ?1000 to spend any help or advice would be greatly appreciated my bike is a 2013 S1000RR I live in Sunderland if anyone has done this I would love to have look at what and how you've done it.
cheers

Austin racing. Great sound and great fit. You will get complete system for less than ?1000. No fault lights when you install.

I fitted a full Leo Vinci system to my mates s1000rr. It was pretty easy, the biggest pain was removing the rad bracket from the block. Akrapovic have instructions on their website on to how to fit a full system. Removing the cat doesn't not through any fault lights. It's removing the servo motors that does. I have an Austin Racing ARCS system on mine. Works great but requires you to cut the cat off.

changing the can will make no difference other than cosmetic and you being ?400 out of pocket. Get a full system there will be no fault lights and the performance will increase.

Yes I purchased it at the nec bike show. Very helpfull guys and told me any problems to give them a call. The parts fitted well and it's the best sound . Fitted the crash bobbins at the same time. They told me not to switch the ignitition on untill fully installed. As long as you don't accidentally switch ignition on you won't get any fault lights.

changing the can will make no difference other than cosmetic and you being ?400 out of pocket. Get a full system there will be no fault lights and the performance will increase.

Not to be a smart arse but Akrapovic state on their website that the end cans give about 2 bhp more and a small bit of extra torque, not that you'd notice it.

Posting pics:

set up a free account with photobucket or similar, upload your pics to them, then use the image links. Simples.

just bought a cover of ebay.?140 fits over the cat,nice piece of kit,tidy bloke to deal with,he has got a couple left,and they are on there now.

just bought a cover of ebay.?140 fits over the cat,nice piece of kit,tidy bloke to deal with,he has got a couple left,and they are on there now.
Hi. Was it one of these: http://www.tecbike.de/BMW/1000-ccm/...-S-1000-RR-Full-System-von-Perfect-Parts.html (or if you've still got a cat: http://www.tecbike.de/BMW/1000-ccm/...S-1000-RR-original-KAT-von-Perfect-Parts.html)
...if it was, it's nearly half price to get them direct from the original seller in Germany ;)

Last edited:
Hi All,

Firstly apologies for hijacking this thread but I wasn't sure where to put this query.

I've managed to get my hands on a set of Akrapovic s/s headers and the stubby titanium can. Quite a bargain.

I've been speaking to a few tuners and the general consensus I've learned is that the headers give you extra power at the top end but in exchange for losing a chunk of midrange, some reporting 10 to 15bhp due to removing the butterfly valves. I've been told you're better off cutting the stock headers and adding a decat pipe for road riding.

TBH, top end is only going to be relative on the odd track day, so for road riding I'd rather keep my midrange.

Is this a fact or is it just hearsay? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

Firstly apologies for hijacking this thread but I wasn't sure where to put this query.

I've managed to get my hands on a set of Akrapovic s/s headers and the stubby titanium can. Quite a bargain.

I've been speaking to a few tuners and the general consensus I've learned is that the headers give you extra power at the top end but in exchange for losing a chunk of midrange, some reporting 10 to 15bhp due to removing the butterfly valves. I've been told you're better off cutting the stock headers and adding a decat pipe for road riding.

TBH, top end is only going to be relative on the odd track day, so for road riding I'd rather keep my midrange.

Is this a fact or is it just hearsay? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's true from what I understand, full race systems can lose around 8bhp mid range for the reasons you mention. I only use my bike on track and I have had both a full system and a cat removal system using original headers and TBH I didn't notice much of a difference between them.
I would think the only time it would be noticeable would be in a race situation where other S1k's were getting a slight jump out of the corners.
What is important and will give you the best gains is to get the bike on a dyno and have it set up properly once you fit the exhaust. This is not required but will definitely provide you with the best set up. I prefer ECU reflash, some prefer PCV - I removed PCV and had reflash done and in my opinion it's the only way to go.

Cheers
Davy

I have an Austin Racing ARCS system on my 2014 bike with a power commander fitted. On the dyno with the valve left in the front headers fully open, it lost a chunk of midrange. The tuner Race Engineering in Dunmow Essex messed about with setting the valve in certain positions, then locked it where it gave the best midrange and top end power. The power curve is now very linear with good top end gains. I have also recently returned from being out in Spain on track. There were several bikes with full systems on with the short cans that seemed to run fine, however they we're race bikes and I don't know whether they had power commanders fitted on the ECU's remapped. The short can with the downpipes is very noisy through. I think you'll find it's over 110 decibels. My mate had the full system with the short can and no power commander. It ran like a dog and was ridiculously loud. Keep in mind that the noise limit at UK tracks is a maximum of 105 decibels. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back