Pillar Drill Guy

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
My preference, as always, is I want to sell this or any item to a forum member. Unfortunately, the auction ended Saturday am.. anyhow... before all of this..

So some English cat phoned me Thursday about the drill, I was at work and was busy..it was.. "Can I see the drill", yes, where are you from, tho ? Oh, Scotstoun (14 miles away).. sure.. I can do 3.30 pm today, " Great, we'll be there."

Duly arrived, the guy was using two sticks to walk, his burd was there too (mature couple).. loved the drill, loved the HP4, loved Millie the cat.. offered me considerably less than I had the buy now for.. I've little to no patience with the likes of that, I seldom if ever haggle, particulalry when I've travelled..I go to BUY..

I did ask what he wanted it for.. his answer, which I never gave much consideration.. we're building a wall of death !.. I'm looking at this guy, probably ages with me, doesn't look mobile nor particularly fit..yeah, yaaawwwn.. thanks for coming as I ushered them out of my garage and pulled the door down.

Saturday morning, the auction ends whilst I'm at boxing, checks when I came out of class. message, "Can we pick up today? "... this is from the buyer, who it was I didn't look, nor was relevant, I had already seen that it was paid..

2pm, gave my address gives and phone number..

Guess who turns up, this same couple.. taken aback somewhat, a deal is a deal, they had to bid a bit more than their first offer and paid cash for the Vice, so happy days. Long story short, loaded up kit in their vehicle and off they went..phone call 30 minutes later..we left the Chuck Key.. "No bother said I, I'm up your way ish tomorrow, I'll bring it to you..

Guess he wasn't joking..

This is one of the old Clydeside Shipyard engine shops owned and operated by Barclay Curle who made huge diesels for ocean going liners/military ships etc in this one, the famous Finniestion Crane then lifted them and dropped them into position in each liner/warship.. place reeks of history, built in 1915, Class A listed building, those overhead gantry cranes still operate according to the guy.. he rents this big section, and there's some sublets, you can see the dividers up.. anyhow back to the story..

Have a gander at these.. pretty amazed..
0fdbbb9dd6d0635c786f0924809c73f3.jpg
ae58baaca5966782de9b28ed7ecc5520.jpg
df06ac942e4b6299edde63aedc16baef.jpg
48ae8127c40124ae89e992a82f38882c.jpg
fb1970b8ee7f093d286ad87d87736dbf.jpg
da00735a25661993a9bd87c82bc89bd0.jpg
34ae21ff6d1b8e3d49bb0e5dda21a552.jpg
029e9ffefe84dc0f207b247aecc909c4.jpg
00c0e2ab438e267386cdde90a3aab36c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting. When I see 'wall of death' videos on youtube I usually think well that would never pass health and safety rules in UK. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Proper funny, can imagine your reaction. And nicely done on inadvertently squeezing more money out of them.

It's really well made, I must say, right down to the two dozen 24 mil spanners from Bill's Tool Store in Glasgow. He flattened the open ends, drilled then bolted into the upper wall, that steel hawser round the inner circumference is rock solid. Think he said the height was almost 4 meters and 8m diameter.. pretty amazing..

Proper funny, can imagine your reaction. And nicely done on inadvertently squeezing more money out of them.
Honestly, when they turned up lol.. at least I got what I wanted in the end up.. been wondering [emoji848] if I've got the balls to try that wall hmmmm

Interesting. When I see 'wall of death' videos on youtube I usually think well that would never pass health and safety rules in UK. Perhaps I'm wrong.
So the story goes, if he invites members of the public in then the attraction is classed the same as fair ground rides, so I guess it would need to be inspected and insurance would be a nightmare too...Best kept for personal use..

Great story Stu, thanks very much for writing it and sharing it - I'm sure you've got have very big balls to attempt the wall of death for the first time. Do you know whether he had ever ridden one before in the past, what motivated him to build it, apart from 'cos I can'? - Our world needs characters like this, and he is one of them.

Great story Stu, thanks very much for writing it and sharing it - I'm sure you've got have very big balls to attempt the wall of death for the first time. Do you know whether he had ever ridden one before in the past, what motivated him to build it, apart from 'cos I can'? - Our world needs characters like this, and he is one of them.

He's fallen off this one a couple of dozen times, hence the sticks. And you're right, there's not enough like him, got to give him credit for doing it for real..

Might help he had a decent bike, he's using that old CB200 Benley, nice wee machines in their day, I'd of thought a 2 stroke would have been better for instant power.

Petrol in the float bowl and feeding it into the carbs had me thinking, then I realised unless the bikes upside down it'll run normally..when you think about it..

I did ask him why he built it.. Apparently he always wanted to build and ride one, suppose it's as good a reason as any..

I'd give it a go, he's promised to give me a shout when his wee bike's sorted..

That is amazing and hats off to the guy. I'd have a try at it but nothings as easy as it looks without pain of trying and learning.

I had a go at speedway a few weeks ago and was petrified beforehand. But gradually got more confidence and quicker. Might have another go next year. Bit like a trackday event.

Speedway sounds awesome..loads of power and no brakes..interesting combination there Godfather ..

Latest posts

Back