Can anyone help

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sure Rick, never got that far.. its a cheap runabout but there's plenty around that haven't been smashed

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

So the saga continued, jumped on an easyjet down to Birmingham on Wednesday, taxi to the geezers house (70 bangers)..., place was a bit of a tip, but nonetheless seen the car, thought it was a bit rough..OK I get the age thing, and it's mileage but it wasn't even cleaned, the carpets were dirty and so was the bodywork, headlamps hazed really badly, instantly felt there was just no desire to present the product well in my mind... Took it out a run and the reality of a performance clutch became immediately apparent when I had to fully depress the pedal to change gear, the worst was reverse and 1st to 2nd and back down, the springs on the pressure plate were unreal !.. so fecking heavy. Took me 15 minutes of driving to fully decide this "excellent conditon" car wasn't for me. Booked a flight back to Glasgow, not before the guy was scrambling about looking at his stock and knocking 750 off the car for me.. I'm an impulsive buyer but not on that day. My flights cost me 3 quid in total as I had vouchers from a covid cancellation.

Determined to buy, I shortlisted 3 Volvos in Cumbria, set off at 8 am this morning, seen in order XC60, V50 and another XC60, which I have opted to buy.

Clean, tidy car, bodywork is pretty sound, excellent MOT and service history, full set of Avons.. all good, so back down to pick it up in the morning to pick it up, what a journey all to buy a cheap motor, never had so much hassle and dealt with so many innucuracies and rip off artists in a very long time..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Do3pQN88jsmHvJCQ7

Looks pretty decent I thought..and being the Lux the spec is great [emoji106]

You'll have a decent amount of toys in that SE Lux. I had a V60 SE (non Lux) and was well loaded with electric heated memory seats/mirrors, Nav, decent sound system, active headlights etc. The 2.4 is a strong engine too, used in quite a few models.

It's an old car, but decent spec right enough, I'll make some improvements to it..

It'll get it valeted today, probably get the rims done, I'm sightly uncomfortable the timing belt was done 70k ago tho it's scheduled for 100k, and probably fresh tranny fluid with a flush and diffs too. The center console is quite badly scraped, so I'll pick up one from Ebay..other than that I've no plans lol...

Exact same car as my misses mate. Sounds like you?ve had fun travels finding a car mate lol. Hopefully your happy with this one [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just this minute in the door, without a word of a lie this came on no more than 1 minute after leaving the fellas work..

I've spoken to him and I believe he never used the handbrake, he actually said that to me yesterday after we took the car for a run !..

Thinking it would possibly clear after a couple of stops off, it's still on..honestly what luck do I have. Dog shit with a big nail in it..that's me !..

Car runs amazingly well otherwise.. its not to my standard tho so it'll be getting a super clean for a start, then some improvements as per post above..

17ef11bc09096297e39d477dab22f52d.jpg

Last edited:
So just this minute in the door, without a word of a lie this came on no more than 1 minute after leaving the fellas work..

I've spoken to him and I believe he never used the handbrake, he actually said that to me yesterday after we took the car for a run !..

Thinking it would possibly clear after a couple of stops off, it's still on..honestly what luck do I have. Dog shit with a big nail in it..that's me !..

Car runs amazingly well otherwise.. its not to my standard tho so it'll be getting a super clean for a start, then some improvements as per post above..

17ef11bc09096297e39d477dab22f52d.jpg

Is this a manual handbrake mate? I know in my misses one is electronic and can be activated by a push in or pull out switch BUT it comes on automatically if you take key out and exit vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electronic handbrake mate ... seems to work fine tbh . Maybe just a wee gremlin, I'll get my mate to plug in his Snap On Reader

Last edited:
Yeah they have a motor attached to each rear calliper for the handbrake. It's a pretty simple setup, in that the hydraulics operate the rear brakes as normal, but the motors kick in for the handbrake.
You can lift the back off the ground and try to spin the wheels by hand to see if the handbrake working ok on both sides. Check the pads while you're there in case it's the pad wear sensor telling you that the hand brake needs servicing because the pads are low. Winding the calliper piston in is a case of running a lead from the motor to the battery in reverse (I kid you not).

Cheers for the lesson lol...I've stripped a few in the past. I'll get my mate to look at it tomorrow. He owns Dumbarton Car Clinic

You're quite correct. it's an option to wind in the piston with a 12V battery hooked up reverse polarity, assuming the piston isn't seized, that is..

Now I've got my blasting cabinet I was actually thinking of buying in a load of RS Calipers, refurbishing them and punting them on.. not touched the fronts I bought a few weeks ago, just not had the time..think that will be a Xmas hols job..

Last edited:
On that note, who else has a blasting cabinet, I'm having to set up an extraction system and need to by a 'oovah .. thers a few tips on YT but I'd like to know who uses what and how they have it set up..

Ryte Kenny, yea I'll let you know.. you can buy a ready made set up for the electroplating, I was looking at them the other day..bit more professional looking than batteries, cables, jam jars and bits of wood cobbled together..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26585148...var=565673406670&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

15 ltr one looks decent, swap the chemicals over for different coatings

Last edited:
I've got a 2014 xc60 r design lux with polestar upgrade, was a demo model so got every extra. I love the heated steering wheel

Who the hell does this. Thought I'd swap out the cabin and air filters, the air filter which on inspection had clearly been changed not too long ago, check the state of the air box wtf ..

lifted out the absorbant mat for pics, that was filthy too..

13e3f08919a9c1d8cc0010dfa7586b78.jpg
9293185728039ca1938cd4d6731bdea9.jpg
f2e2db089bacd36fc0d6ac18f75997d5.jpg
8be00aaf5cfc421cb1a5f1189009ac6f.jpg
8ed88d7d64c236f10ba13a93c86a15aa.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back