Help\advice fitting new goodies please

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightning_bob

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I?ve bought Gilles street 550 clip ons and Ilmberger carbon hugger for my S1000RR 2023

First the hugger, I?ve removed all the dodgy little plastic clips on the left side but on the right side there?s one right behind the exhaust. Surely I don?t have to take the silencer off, I know it?s only 2 bolts but is there any other way?

on the clip ons, I can see a grub screw on the left grip when pulling back the grip rubber edge but on the throttle grip can?t see anything, any ideas at all please

I swore a lot at the BMW engineer that thought it was a brilliant idea to use a plastic expanding screw fitting for the hugger. And another tirade for the one that decided one should be hidden behind the exhaust.

W**kers

Yes you have to remove the can. Least it's only 2 bolts.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Quite agree, bet bmw sell loads of replacements and they?re probably ?30 a set lol
Looks like I?m whipping the can off then, I?m still trying to clean up the unholy amount of chain lube they apply

Last edited:
I bought a few sets as I like to remove the hugger for cleaning and they?re not as expensive as you think, ?12 ish for the full set, I was about ?25 all in. They are terrible and easily fall apart from being removed.

I bought a few sets as I like to remove the hugger for cleaning and they?re not as expensive as you think, ?12 ish for the full set, I was about ?25 all in. They are terrible and easily fall apart from being removed.
Don?t suppose you have part numbers do you please

Now you?re asking, at the time I found a parts list so phoned them up and ordered them, I?d have to look, but I?m guessing by your last post you found the part number.

Yeah you can remove them as normal and reuse but they tend to round off because of them being plastic hence why it?s handy having spares.

Last edited:
To make it reusable needs exhaust removing, by sacrificing the clip don?t need to remove exhaust from what I can see.
will know more by weekend
what?s more is I believe these clips are designed as sacrificial and likely replaced anytime dealer does work where they?re removed.

Last edited:
Been out in the garage this morning, made a quick video. By cutting the back of the clip off with a standard pair of side cutters the clip pops out. Fitting the new clip I used a dab of grease on the trim clip screw and a pair of plastic protected long nose pliers to push the clip back together, I did not remove the exhaust :cool:

Last edited:
For the sake of taking literally 2 mins to remove the exhaust I can?t fathom why you?d fart about and sacrifice the expanding screw fitting this way, even if you have plenty spare I?d still try and get the use out of them for as long as possible before having to replace them.

Its just being lazy in my opinion, remove the exhaust this will then allow you to clean in about that area better as well and clean the exhaust, there?s 100 years no started yet as my gramps used to say, what?s the rush?

Your opinion you?re welcome to it.
just pointing out you don?t have to remove the exhaust, if you can remove it without taking it off I don?t think that?s a bad thing, they normally chew the ends even with good access and the clip is 0.50p

Last edited:
Never replaced a clip in my life, just need a smaller version of this
s-l1600.jpg

Latest posts

Back