15" Cush drive / sprocket carrier play / wear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33fys

Reaction score
Hi all,

i seem to be having an issue with my rear sprocket carrier / Cush drive. I've covered 5k miles and after 4K miles the Cush rubbers were replaced by BMW. Now the sprocket carrier play seems to be coming back, if you look at the bike from the rear you can move the carrier around diagonally, not significant - but enough. My understanding is it shouldn't do this with the spindle torqued up? Perhaps this points towards a rear wheel bearing issue? Also if you move the sprocket from side to side in relation to how the chain drives it, you can hear the carrier making a squeaking noise against Cush rubbers with some slight play. I'd think as soon as there is play there it will start wearing quick?

Appreicated a lot of torque going through the drive train. On / off throttle is quite jerky at times too. Gear change is not as good too.

Any help / feedback / people with same issues on here? Thanks

hi bud, I've just changed my cush rubbers on my 2010 bike, i also changed the main bearing in the sprockets carrier and the bearing i removed did look knackered. the bearing from bmw was ?22.

Had them changed twice under warranty in my 2010. Do not know what was the real problem. Up until now (3years after the change) it is in excellent condition.

Cheers guys. Yeah I'm thinking the bearing must be shot in the carrier / due to this its not doing the Cush rubbers any good? Would it be worth changing rear wheel bearings too? These seemed ok. Bikes only done 5k miles, how weird huh? To be fair though the bike gets jip from time to time haha

Let the Beemer mechanic take a look today and he said bearing in the sprocket carrier on its way out, also needs Cush rubbers. He put it needing Cush rubbers down to the bearing being on its way out. Totally not cool though considering the bike only covered 5k miles huh. Must just be the sheer torque huh? I see the forged wheel from BMW uses a different Cush drive compared to the std rim?

Titax are cheaper if you can wait for delivery... Its what I have and Baz too

- Sent from Mobile

Cool cool. What are the differences with the titax compared to the Beemer ones? Prices for starters probs? Lol

I'd say ?1400 would get the wheels and discs. You'll need discs and a Talon sprocket (they have the most accessible stock).
Saved 3kg on the rear over the cast. Marginal saving on front. Its the cush drive which saves most.

- Sent from Mobile

cool your sorted mated, with all the talk about knackered cush rubbers on these bikes plus on my bike when i bought it, it had a fecked chain too, i am thinking the quick shifters must make the shifts that bit more brutal and may be contributing to these issues? demo seems to be something you need to monitor, some people have reported knackered cush rubbers on new bikes after 1200 miles, considering first 600 miles are running in thats fecked rubbers after only 600miles of abuse!!

just put my 2015 in for its 12k service and appears the cush rubbers and BOTH wheel bearings are fucked! ......getting replaced under warranty but dealer said the cush rubbers are really common due to the extreme torque involved!:loyal: ...i was already concerned about the cush drive and took it to another dealer few weeks ago....they told me it was fine?! ...why arent all these dealers consistent?? It's like a lottery getting the right diagnosis on these bikes depending on which dealer you go to??! :nonchalance:

Cavey, hi dude. I'm not surprised at all like! BMW's design in my eyes on this spec of bike is grim. My bike is also needing bushes swingarm / frame. You believing that!! I was chuffed when I got my bike but I've lost a lot of faith and I don't want to as I love that bike. They replaced my Cush rubbers in twice in space of like 2k miles. And as far as this "actual sprocket carrier bearing play" I've never heard so much rubbish in all my days that there is actually meant to be play there. My eyes all comes down to bad design but maybe not!

Good yer getting her sorted, keep her full chat dude ;-)

Cush Drives

After 4,000 track miles I've not had any issues with the cush drives etc on my HP forged wheels.

RyS1000rr, what kind of chain and sprokets you using? Just standard? I'm worried about my bike needing bushes for the swingarm, there's Deffo play there that shouldn't be follow by this creaking type noise. Def going in past John Clark BMW today / this afternoon so hopefully they will understand what it needs. Just thinking, I suppose the harsh roads in Aberdeen has caused this, along with front up in the air a lot won't help too huh? Lol

Chain & Sprockets

I have a D.I.D 520 ZVM-X chain fitted and I use a variety of Renthal sprockets in different sizes to alter gearing as my bike is only used on track.

Cavey, hi dude. I'm not surprised at all like! BMW's design in my eyes on this spec of bike is grim. My bike is also needing bushes swingarm / frame. You believing that!! I was chuffed when I got my bike but I've lost a lot of faith and I don't want to as I love that bike. They replaced my Cush rubbers in twice in space of like 2k miles. And as far as this "actual sprocket carrier bearing play" I've never heard so much rubbish in all my days that there is actually meant to be play there. My eyes all comes down to bad design but maybe not!

Good yer getting her sorted, keep her full chat dude ;-)
Hi B33.....yeah the bike is amazing to ride but i've never had so many problems with a bike!! I guess there's a lot of stuff to go wrong but i did 40k miles on my Gixxer and it didn't miss a beat! :) ....i suspect i'm gonna be tempted to jump ship back to a Japanese bike as soon as they make something better than the S1k??!

Hi B33.....yeah the bike is amazing to ride but i've never had so many problems with a bike!! I guess there's a lot of stuff to go wrong but i did 40k miles on my Gixxer and it didn't miss a beat! :) ....i suspect i'm gonna be tempted to jump ship back to a Japanese bike as soon as they make something better than the S1k??!

Hi there. Yeah I done 20k miles on my r1 and had minimal issues really to be honest. Don't get me wrong I love the Beemer but the support so far down the correct channels isn't good enough for me. My opinion is BMW made the best super sport bike available however all the niggly things are getting to me now. I'll give them a chance to resolve ofcourse but still, I'm not really convinced. The faith went from being well up there to being very low! Lol

Latest posts

Back