cush drive play

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been to dealer this morning, Took one look and said yep seen quite a few they need replacing. Booked in for first week of Oct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is only affecting the Forged Wheels and the Carbon Wheels, But I might be wrong

Yeah possibly, I just dropped off my bike off BMW this morning and received a call saying they agree there?s too much play and are going to swap it out under warranty. [emoji846]

Quite surprised ? I was expecting a fight about it as a ? consumable part ?

Happy days

They said BMW are aware of the issue, The guy said they had done them twice on one bike in 3,000 miles

Just checked mine......about the same amount of play as the posted video, its done 1900 miles Ffs!:upset:

My 12 month old M Sport with 2k mileage is currently with the dealer. They claim anything under 3mm of play is 'within tolerance' and are refusing to cover replacing them under warranty......As you can imagine this has annoyed the piss out of me on such a low mileage premium bike. Is there any point in persuing this with Motorrad customer service or do I put up with it until it goes beyond tolerance within the next few months? I'm tempted to take it to a different dealer to see if they will be a bit more undersatnding, your thoughts gentlemen?

My dealer suggested the same tolerence. If its moving about now its not going to get any better. They also said bmw are working on an improved replacement as little point replacing a defective part with the same. Only thing is they dont know when this will be available. I said i would contact them again when im out on the bike more in the spring.

My dealer suggested the same tolerence. If its moving about now its not going to get any better. They also said bmw are working on an improved replacement as little point replacing a defective part with the same. Only thing is they dont know when this will be available. I said i would contact them again when im out on the bike more in the spring.

How are you supposed to get the right adjustment on chain tension?
Every time you unload the the rear sprocket (overun or changing gear etc) the chain will be slack, causing excessive chain lash and premature wear on chain & sprockets surley? I raised this with the dealer and all I got was.... 'I know what you mean.' Worst still, they had the rubbers in stock and would change them if I woulld foot the bill for parts and labour........its got 2yr left of warranty on it!

How are you supposed to get the right adjustment on chain tension?
Every time you unload the the rear sprocket (overun or changing gear etc) the chain will be slack, causing excessive chain lash and premature wear on chain & sprockets surley? I raised this with the dealer and all I got was.... 'I know what you mean.' Worst still, they had the rubbers in stock and would change them if I woulld foot the bill for parts and labour........its got 2yr left of warranty on it!

but thats eaxctly how a cush drive works, the extra mm involved in the carrier rubber wear isn't going effect chain tension, and certainly not adjustment.

Hmmm I have the 2022 s1000rr currently at 2500 miles and the Cush drive seems to have a fair bit of play in too.

Is this the same as what you guys were seeing ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/yhmOCXINZcU?feature=share

Just checked the play in my cush drive, it looks about the same as the video shared by SHAY123, might be slightly less. About 2 mm play I'm guessing. That's after 18K miles. A question to the people that have changed the cush drive - what was the play with the new cush fitted? Is it zero or is there still a bit of play?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I had to replace the Cush drive on my gen3 around 15k miles. It seemed to be a consumable part according to the dealer and was a common problem. No idea about the gen4 though. .

Checked mine before putting the wheel back in yesterday. 2 to 3mm loosely but if I put pressure on I could get nearly 10mm movement. Now by my hand is nothing compared to the real stress under drive. My rear sprocket is almost f@cked again having done 4 track days.
New rubbers were ?78. I hope they've modified them. New chain and sprockets on way too.

Bike went in today for its 1st year service and the Cush Rubbers shot again in 400 miles...They are also changing the Hub carrier too? Not sure why?

Going in again on the 11th May

Latest posts

Back