Winter storage prep

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank-RR

Reaction score
Hi guys, so what have to you prepare your bike for the winter storage, I use sleeping bag as a cover, plug into Optimate and start every few weeks until operating temp

Haha.. thats standard issue with Strathclyde fire brigade.. rope..an outfit..helmet, torch, frying pan for the lamb chops and a 17.5 tog quilt.. bunch of lazy bxxxxxxx

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
I used to store my bikes in a Vac bag over the winter months that's when they were kept in a wooden shed, now i have a proper garage it a case of a very good clean & polish spray of ACF-50 and the optimiser on it, start it every few weeks and hope the summer weather comes early lol

Washed after last ride out end of September, tank brimmed , up on the paddock stands and on the Optomate twice a week for about 2 hours each time. Will not be fired up till I'm going out on it , March / April time.

Washed to within an inch of its life,brakes removed and thoroughly cleaned,tank brimmed and up on abba stand so suspension unloaded. Lithium battery monitored all winter but showing no drop in voltage. As above bike won't be fired up until first ride in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you guys refer to tank brimmed, is there a particular reason why you do this, I have left petrol before in my blade and the petrol "went off", so not sure if leaving so much petrol is a good idea?

mine gets moved from the cold garage to the heated shed at the end of my garden with the missis zx10 and my track bike. i may give them a run some time in January. The optimates are connected and bikes covered with indoor covers. job done.

I read somewhere about the fuel going off if too much air in the tank so the theory is that if you fill up tank to the brim it stops it going off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People used to do it as the tanks used to suffer from condebsation and rust. Not so nowadays but people still do it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the circumstances of the storage. I have had one extreme to the other in terms of garage ambient quality during my HP4 ownership. The worst required an Air-chamber to keep it in a dry environment in a way that allowed me to work on / clean it over winter.

I don't start mine over winter either, just leave it on the trickle charger with an old cotton mattress cover over it.

I thought the first few minutes of the engine running up to temp was where the bulk of the wear and tear occurred?

Fuel Tank

I generally fill the tank and then add a fuel stabiliser when I put the bike into winter storage.

I just ride mine

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I just give it a wash and Polish, spray some scotoiler FS365 over it , leave very little fuel in it (tanks don't corrode like they used to fuel will go off) , will start it now and then if I get a chance and mabey the odd run about if the roads are dry , other wise it gets stuck on the side stand and left to it.

Mine is on my 1Jac... blootered it with 365 then wiped the residue off... I fire mine up at least twice a week till fan comes on..
Ive an optimate but havent attached it...

Sent from Galaxy S7

Brimmed the tank the last 7/8 years and fuel has never went off , an ER6-F ,2 blades and last winter with this one.

Winter Storage

As soon as the last trackday of the season is over my bike goes into winter storage and generally I won't ride again until at least March. The winter is also a good opportunity to make modifications to the bike whilst it's not being used. I generally do the following to prepare the bike for storage and I leave it fully insured:

Storage

I keep the bike inside a secure garage and covered.

Cleaning

After the last trackday before storage I remove the race fairings and give the bike a thorough clean paying attention to metal/alloy parts and linkages. My garage is not moisture free so I make sure it is completely dry and apply WD-40 or another kind of anti-corrosion formula to any metal parts (not brakes). I then re-grease any cables that I might have stripped of lubricant and lube the chain.

Battery

I normally remove the battery and bring it indoors to keep it out of the cold especially if I have no intention of starting the bike over the winter. I have never bothered using a trickle charger.

Fuel

Out of habit I fill the tank and just add a fuel stabiliser.

Engine

Blank of any air intakes, if like me you live in the countryside, to avoid any furry little creatures setting up home inside your bike...

Exhausts

I completely clean my Akrapovič full exhaust system and then coat with a thin layer of WD-40 to protect it.

Forks

After cleaning the bike I make sure there is no moisture around the forks especially behind the mudguard where it is difficult to be seen. Water, particularly if it freezes, can cause damage to fork seals.

Brake Discs

Ever left a wet bike and found the brake discs and pads require a gentle knock to unstick them? Make sure the discs and pads are completely dry and rotate the wheel occasionally to ensure that the pads are not bedding to the discs.

Brake Fluid

Brake fluid attracts water and most garages are a little damp. I generally bleed the entire system and replace with fresh fluid before the trackday season starts again.

Tyres

My bike is placed on front and rear paddock stands to avoid the tyres from deforming over long periods of inactivity. If you can't do this then another option is to put the wheels on wooden blocks to protect the tyres against cold concrete and rotate by a quarter every couple of weeks and keep the pressures up. That said I just leave a used set of race tyres fitted and then replace with a brand new set ready for the first trackday of the year.

The above may seem a little time consuming and perhaps a tad excessive but my bike will spend at least three to four months in winter storage so in my opinion it's worth it.

Latest posts

Back