VDS problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodmedod

Reaction score
I have owned a 2011 S1000RR since 2012. Due to other commitments/pastimes/hobbies it hasn't been used since 2014. I have now decided to bring it out of storage and return it to the road. Disappointingly I fear I may need some help as it doesn't want to run.

The bike was in perfect running order when it was taken off the road. Up to 2017 I kept the battery on the bike and had it on an Optimate. Since 2017 I removed the battery and the bike has been untouched until last week. Today I fitted a new, fully charged battery. The display shows VDS! and the bike won't turn over. It hasn't been dropped/hit/knocked or laid on it's side.

When I turn the ignition on with the kill switch in the stop position the dash goes through the "pre flight" checks then displays "service due April 2014". There are no warning lights illuminated. If I then move the kill switch into the run position the display goes blank apart from showing VDS!

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I have tried side stand up and clutch lever pulled in. I have put it in gear and back to neutral.

I can't see a white fronted VDS sensor box next to the battery compartment.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for a fault would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Bananaman,
I have checked the bikes original spec using the VIN number and it was made with VDS fitted. I can't see anything under the seat that looks like the white fronted box shown in the Youtube videos.

If I remember rightly, (it's about 13years ago) it's about 2cm x 1 cm clipped to the side of the frame under the seat, thought it was black but could be wrong.

pretty sure the gen1 bikes vds sensor looks just like the red slick plug (not the later larger things with 2 mounting holes) and mounts, upright just to the right side of the tank. make sure it's not fallen out of it's holder, as it just clips in, same as the slick plug pretty much

Big thanks to Bananaman and Scooby for their advice. The Youtube video I watched was indeed of a later version with the two mounting holes on the box.
The VDS plug had not fallen out of it's holder, so was still vertical. I removed the plug from it's socket and the display was no longer "blank" but does still have the VDS! warning. As the engine hasn't been turned over for several years I just touched the starter button probably a dozen times to get some oil moving. I then pressed the starter button and after about 2 seconds the engine fired up OK.

Can anyone think of a reason why the VDS sensor should fail when it has been stored in a heated garage?

it may need clearing from the fault log, try disconneting the battery for a 20 minutes to see if that clears it

Hi Scooby,
I tried discon/recon the battery but that didn't clear the fault. Am I correct in thinking that with the VDS "stick" removed the bikes ECU will correctly think there is a permanent fault with the VDS (as it's missing)?
I have seen the price of a new stick on the US forum and am guessing it's going to come in at ?150+ over here. The stick only has 3 pins so it can't be too hard to test it to see if it really is defective. Finding a used one seems like a non starter.
I am waiting for a Haynes manual to be delivered. Hopefully it may give some clues on the wiring diagram as to what the pins are on the stick so I can test it. I don't really want to have the bikes VDS deactivated at the dealer- it will probably cost a fair chunk of what a new stick costs anyway!

i'd assume so yes, i've never cracked 1 open so not sure how they work,old school would be a mercury switch, but suspect things have moved on from that since....
they are easy to ge to (relativley) so might be an idea to find someione with same yr bike (gen1 at least) and swap them over to see wht happens

Well, I am pleased to say that replacing the VDS sensor cured the problem. I'm not so pleased that it I bought a Haynes Manual that covers my 2011 bike but doesn't have any wiring diagrams for pre 2015 models. I'm also not over the moon with the fact that a solid state component dated 2010 failed whilst the bike was in long term storage. It cost me ?114 (RRP ?129) for a new sensor with a manufacturing date of 2012 on it. It works, but for how long.....?
Thanks again for the replies from bananaman and scooby, they were a big help.

Never heard of one failing but guess there's always a first time. Glad you have it sorted now. was at a euro track day(s) and had a fella with the problem cutting out on lean, turns out it was a vds sensor come adrift from it's clip

Latest posts

Back