Tyre pressure

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powders

Reaction score
Now that the weather is picking up just wondering what pressures everyone is running
I generally run 36 in the front and 42 in the rear through winter
But have been experimenting lately
Currently at 34 in the front and 36 in the rear

Now that the weather is picking up just wondering what pressures everyone is running I generally run 36 in the front and 42 in the rear through winter But have been experimenting lately Currently at 34 in the front and 36 in the rear

I generally ride on 32/36 all year round on the road, force of habit, never given much thought to it tbh, as long as it feels right I'm happy.

Interesting that this came up today as I have just put 230 or so miles on the brand new Metzeler Roadtec 01 tyres that I gratefully received from Metzeler to review, they advised 36/42 for the pressures too which I was a bit loathed to use myself particularly going from SuperCorsa SC's but no point in not using what they recommend to start with I suppose.

And whilst it was pretty cold today, cold enough to warrant a higher pressure I suppose they didn't feel as brick hard as I thought they would and I had no problems with the TC although it wasn't as if I was thrashing the granny out of her I suppose :D

Would higher pressures not cause a smaller contact patch thus creating less heat ? In my car i always drop pressures in the winter

Not something I would even consider in a car to be honest having never found the need to on the road, but in the snow and ice i'd likely do the opposite :)

As for the contact patch most of the heat is generated through carcass flexing which it stands to reason the higher the pressure the less flexion in the sidewall there is likely to be. 36/42 will be absolutely fine for your average ride but I just wouldn't expect them pressures to offer any real feedback when you start pushing the tyre hard, I like a bit of predicatable movement personally :)

Would higher pressures not cause a smaller contact patch thus creating less heat ? In my car i always drop pressures in the winter

Dropping the pressures on your car tyres will slightly worsen fuel consumption and depending how far you go affect handling, for winter the best thing you can do is fit winter tyres that depending on mileage could last you for a few winters, from personal experience I can tell you that a front wheel drive car with winter tyres on is much more capable in crappy conditions than a 4x4 with std tyres

Wow, that's really high pressures. I know higher pressures are usually recommended with the road tyres but that would take me some time to feel confident with them. I'm usually on Supercorsas at 32/34 and bump the back up a few psi if I'm on a long journey. I must admit I didn't know about people running higher pressures in the winter as well, that's something I would never do. Is that definitely recommended?

I run 33/38 on the road and 30/30 at the track. All cold pressures.
Which reminds me I need to go check mine.

The higher the pressure the better the tyre will be in the wet. The pressure increases the weight per sq inch the contact patch presses down with, shifting the water. It also expands the tread grooves to evacuate the said rain. It's a balancing act. I wouldn't go too low or too high. As yes the tyre temp increases with pressure drops/frictional increases.

The 42psi rear is usually to cope with pillions etc. If you don't have one a few lb's out of the tyre should be ok.

Last edited:
I run 33/38 on the road and 30/30 at the track. All cold pressures.
Which reminds me I need to go check mine.

The higher the pressure the better the tyre will be in the wet. The pressure increases the weight per sq inch the contact patch presses down with, shifting the water. It also expands the tread grooves to evacuate the said rain. It's a balancing act. I wouldn't go too low or too high. As yes the tyre temp increases with pressure drops/frictional increases.
Cheers for that, will be interesting to experiment as I've been lucky enough to mostly get good weather but need to get out in the rain more. I'll blame you when I go sliding down the track next time :) By the way Supercorsas and Metzeller run 26-28 at the rear on track, you'll definately get hot tear and wear them out quicker running at 30 cold. I was using the same pressure to begin with on the Panigale and would only get a day out of a rear until some of the racing boys advised me to do 26-28 after which they now last a day and a half or more if I'm lucky. The Panigale is a lot more violent on the tyres than the BMW so I'm hoping they will go longer on this bike.

My track pressures are what I used for Conti Sports. Not used the RR's, but I'll bear your thoughts in mind. Its a cold track tomorrow.

- Sent from Mobile Device

I run 32/32 supercorsa sp's maybe that's how I'm only getting 1200 miles to a rear tyre. Thinking of going m7rr next tho for better millage

My track pressures are what I used for Conti Sports. Not used the RR's, but I'll bear your thoughts in mind. Its a cold track tomorrow.

- Sent from Mobile Device
Ah apologies, I'll wind my neck in :)

I've been running m7rr last few year can't fault them for road use all conditions and wear fine can't fault m whipped k 3 off brand new s1000 n fitted my scrubbed in m 7 s

Back