top box on 1000rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i

n the process off sorting topbox for iom tt trip
made up a bracket to slide on like seat cowl

That looks a good idea! could you post a pic of your bracket?

I've been thinking of making a 'sports rack' like the one hepco & becker do.
670664_web.jpg

Cheers Jimmy. The bike was like that when I bought it last year - previous owner had added all the bits. Only thing I've done is the decat. It did also have the extended belly pan going right back with sponsor stickers along it but I got rid of that when I did the cat. Maybe I should have kept that on really. Liking the look of yours also!

I've been thinking of making a 'sports rack' like the one hepco & becker do.

I've been thinking the same as well for when my new one arrives as I need some decent luggage for my annual (not TT) IoM trip... although I might post a separate question about soft luggage as I'm undecided if to go top box or tail pack.

If you do go down the route of a similar rack, H&B even very helpfully tell you every single screw/spacer/etc you need to make your own version in the instructions :) See here: https://www.hepco-shop.de/download/product/670664.pdf

If you don't want to loose use of your pillion seat - you need to buy another lock barrel, lock fitting kit, and bracket too - totalling about 80 quid from BMW.

rpm - it only takes 5 mins to swap the lock barrel and associated bits. Whilst it's a bit of a faff if you regularly use your top box and carry a pillion, it suits for me as I very rarely have anyone on the back.

I've been thinking the same as well for when my new one arrives as I need some decent luggage for my annual (not TT) IoM trip... although I might post a separate question about soft luggage as I'm undecided if to go top box or tail pack.

If you do go down the route of a similar rack, H&B even very helpfully tell you every single screw/spacer/etc you need to make your own version in the instructions :) See here: https://www.hepco-shop.de/download/product/670664.pdf

If you don't want to loose use of your pillion seat - you need to buy another lock barrel, lock fitting kit, and bracket too - totalling about 80 quid from BMW.

Thanks for the link!

I had to buy the pillion seat lock from BMW when I bought a s/h pillion seat so ill just swap it out when needed. Don't really use the pillion seat anyway as my partner hates the S

rpm - it only takes 5 mins to swap the lock barrel and associated bits. Whilst it's a bit of a faff if you regularly use your top box and carry a pillion, it suits for me as I very rarely have anyone on the back.

Very good point! Think I'll do that to start with too, I rarely have either a pillion or top box, I probably only used my box 4 times per year on my last bike - great for keeping luggage dry on the long runs - then used as a suitcase in the hotel.

A seat without the mount looks nicer on of course though - so would need to swap back between trips :)

Has anyone made a plate for a top box themselves yet? I was thinking it could just be a flat thickish piece of aluminium cut to the right shape, then a quick spray with black paint. I need to wait till my S turns up on 1st March before I can have a go though!

Thanks for the link!

I had to buy the pillion seat lock from BMW when I bought a s/h pillion seat so ill just swap it out when needed. Don't really use the pillion seat anyway as my partner hates the S

No worries - let us know if you make one - I'd be interested in seeing how you get on!

I very much doubt my pillion seat will see any use at all, my wife hasn't been on the back of any of my bikes...

Has anyone made a plate for a top box themselves yet? I was thinking it could just be a flat thickish piece of aluminium cut to the right shape, then a quick spray with black paint. I need to wait till my S turns up on 1st March before I can have a go though![/QUOTE]

im getting a bracket made this week so will post pics when its here

yep all done at home total cost 60 quid including topbox

Looks great! I see you used original seat part to hold on the front of the mount, what holds the back part to the bike?

Latest posts

Back