Hello all - Potential new owner

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKND83

Reaction score
Hello everyone, glad to be here. I would like to give a bit of background about my self as a rider and hopefully some of you could advice me and help make the decision.

I have been riding for 10 years, started with a Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide. I really like Harleys for what they were, however I was always curious to try something else. In 2014, I test rode a Ducati Monster 1200, I loved the medium size, the lightness, agility and rawness of the bike. I made it a target to be able to get one, two years later in 2016, I bought an almost new Monster 1200S in white and I didn't know what I was missing until I owned one. I am blessed to be able to own two bikes, but the Harley was sold and I bought a used Multistrada 1260S in 2020, for my two-up, long distances riding that I occasionally do. Both bikes are near and dear to my heart, as there is so little that they can't do.

I am turning 40 next year, and what is a better gift than a new bike! It so happens that a BMW dealership finally opened in my town. I always wanted a sport bike, for the sake of variety perhaps, or before its too late age-wise to be able to own and enjoy one. I was able to extensively use a Panigale 1299 that I co-owned with a friend and to be honest, it was horrible! thigh- burning, bum-numbing, wrist-torturing angry machine. I suspect that there was something wrong with it heat wise, as the rear plastic mud-guard melted and because it was a base model, suspensions wasn't set up right and no matter how much I fiddled with it based on factory-comfort settings, was still too rough! Sold it and no love lost there.

I never considered the S1000RR previously despite the high-praises about it, until the current gen was release in 2019 that is. I was awe-struck by the design aesthetics, what a beautiful design! Every review I have read and watched just praises the comfort factor, the smoothness of the engine and how easy it is to ride.

I dropped by the dealership three weeks ago and they had one s1000RR on display with the following specs

• Mineral Gray color
  • Carbon wheels, carbon package
  • M Billet package
  • Race package (endurance chain, pro riding modes and Sport silencer)
  • Comfort package (heated grips, cruise, DDC, USB)

Unfortunately they didn't have a demo ride available, but the sales executive allowed me take a short spin on this specific one around the dealership. Considering that I wouldn't be able to take it on a long one-hour ride at least I was reluctant to accept but didn't miss the opportunity to at least get a feel of the ergonomics. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, slow speed maneuvering is impressive, engine is very smooth, riding position is comfortable on both the knees and wrists, but seat was a bit hard. Obviously this was a 5 minutes spin and hence I am here for couple of queries.

Typically I ride on city and suburban roads, with plenty of smooth asphalt, some interesting twisties between the mountains for an hour and half to two hours per ride with some highways thrown in between. Non-typically are one hour long commutes out of town for work (twice a month maybe) and long trips out of town on highways. My plan is to replace the Monster with an S1000RR keeping the Multistrada for it's sportiness, touring capability and two-up comfort...and the glorious engine note!

The questions I have are the following:

-Is the S1000RR good for my intended use and riding style? keeping the Panigale experience in mind!
-Carbon wheels Vs Cast wheels. there is one available that is specified without the carbon package, billet package and carbon wheels. It comes with cast wheels, Will I feel significant difference in handling and agility? Are the carbon wheels reliable?
-From a value perspective shall I opt for the base model with the cast wheels or go for the fully loaded one I test rode? I know that the add-ons are at bargain price compared to fitting them afterwards!
-As a owner, of a current gen s1000RR, is there anything that you don't like? or wish it was better?

Thanks and sorry there is no TL;DR version otherwise you will miss the point!

:)

Personally I'd have the race and comfort packages and they're probably good for resale value too. The carbon and billet packages are a purely personal choice methinks (although if you are tall there might be some adjustability in the rear sets ). I think you'll find that the only contentious issue are the wheels - if you search the forum you'll find several hard luck stories of carbon wheels disintegrating after innocuous bumps in the road (Bananaman was the last one I think). There is a 3rd option, the forged wheels which are worth investigating - lighter and nippier than cast but heavier than carbon. I definitely did not want the carbon wheels because I do a lot of road riding.

Good luck with your choice. Worth a trip to another dealer even if just to get a decent demo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I've looked at the forged instead of Carbon, I've come across all the threads regarding the disintegrating wheels which makes me think that I do not want them. Unfortunately the Forged wheel option isn't readily available and not sure of the time frame for me to get one.

The other dealer is 6 hours away unfortunately, but I'll give them a try.

Thanks again.

There were issues with early batches of the carbon wheels which all got replaced under warranty. Haven't had any issues with mine in 2 years of ownership, but then again I'm not doing a lot of miles either. Did hit a large bump in the road which left me worried, but no damage to the wheel was done. Not even a crack in the lacquer which some people have had though nothing structural.

The M billet footpegs have adjustment to raise above and below standard height. Personally I've not felt the need to move the pegs, though I have adjusted the position of the rear brake lever as it was too much of stretch for my little feet..

Comfort-wise, I've had no issues, The seat seems to be fine for some like myself (with the lower M seat too), others have swapped out for the R models seat which is otherwise identical with better padding. I recommend getting a taller screen and you might also want to look at a taller screen. No idea why manufacturers still insist of fitting ones that need your head lower than the fuel tank in order to get benefit from it while also obscuring the dash at all other times. I needed to get heavier bar end weights as the vibrations through the grips was horrendous. Never had to do this on any bike before, but my hands would go numb in less than 30 minutes. You definitely want the comfort pack; heated grips and cruise control are amazing.

The sports silencer doesn't do anything except change the look of the bike. People have said it doesn't even change the exhaust note. I'd say the worst part is that it uses the pillion peg mounting point, but considering the pillion seat could double as a small codpiece I'm not sure you'll find many volunteers wanting a lift

Guess I forgot to post this here.

Thank you all for your feedback and help.

4bb936a001df734ff03d8b1783912708.jpeg

e3891684180539a752f2e1525f32c08b.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back