suspension set up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guy's have any of you had a dabble changing the electronic suspension.I find my bike is too hard mainly being a road rider so I have adjusted the front rebound to -2 which seems to be about right.The rear comp and reb I have set to -1 not had chance to go for a spin yet to see if it feels better.Need to mention also lowered tyre pressures to f34 and r38 any feedback appreciated.

Ive struggled with the front tbf. Really harsh luke a jack hammer. Preload is good now and i added +2 to comp and slowed rebound by 2 as well. Feeling a lot better

Dont forget it depends which mode you are in. And also how many miles you have on the bike. Mine was "firm" untill I got 2K miles on it. I find in rain mode its very compliant - I quite like the way it feels on B roads / back roads. In sport I often run -4 all round just to let it move. Also dont forget any settings you change are only for the mode you are in. One thing I find handy is switching to Rain if I'm on a realy rough road and then switch back to road or sport when the tarmac is better. Might sound over kill but only takes a few seconds to do.

Thank's guys some good points there about which mode I'm in I always ride in race mode and the bike has just got 2000 miles on it.Pof that has me slightly confused as well adding +2 which surely means harder?

The reason i added 2 was the fact that the tell tale was pretty much near the bottom, the thinking was is it was nose diving and then coming back too quick it was cause this effect. But slowing down the nose going down and nose coming back it makes it more compliant. I still wanted to use full travel of suspension but not as fast

Last edited:
You need the 2d front fork sensor to manage comp and rebound. Put a cable tie around the bottom of your fork tube when you next go out and see where it ends up to know if it is bottoming out.

2nd front fork sensor ?

Think we are getting wires crossed. The front (standard ddc) only allows for one setting to be changed which alters damping and to some extent comp and rebound. The 2d sensor which is not standard allows for all three to be adjusted independently. do you have the 2d sensor installed?

Not that im aware. Sorry for my niavity but isnt damping made up of compression and rebound ?

Not that im aware. Sorry for my niavity but isnt damping made up of compression and rebound ?

No need to apologise, you're not wrong, kinda. If there was no damping, after a bump the forks would bounce up and down until they ran out of comp and rebound energy. The damping is the shock absorber that smoothes out the variations of surface to help the comp and rebound so the bike can stay useable. On the rear you can adjust all three parameters so for example (on track) you can set the rear to be rigid with less damping if you are slow in fast out, but you could set the damping the same and the comp and rebound softer if your track style is to have high corner speed instead with smoother transition. On the front all three are together under one setting, so you might want lots of damping (on a shit surface) but still want little fork travel (comp and rebound) if you are heavy on the brakes. So without the 2d sensor fitted you get a generic setting which will be more damping more travel and vice versa. It's horses for courses. I'm far from anywhere near being an expert and there are plenty of much better guys on here with suspension and race experience that will probably chip in that I'm talking bollocks :).

before you go out and buy a 2d sensor have a look here:

http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?4589-2d-suspension-sensor/page3

I don't use one and it's never caused me much issue on road or track. If I was half as good as I'd like to be on track I would be investing in one for trackdays.

hope this helps.

edit - one other thing. Drop your front tyre pressures by a few psi to maybe 34 (road) and it makes a huge difference to how the ddc feels and behaves. Much better.

Last edited:
Brilliant ta. Pressures are down to 32 36 at the moment which has helped

Back