Stuck in Rain Mode.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevjacko050478

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping for some advice regarding an issue with my s100rr 2010 model. I've just bought the bike, and I was told the clocks had been changed and will require matching with the Ecu. This is currently causing the bike to stay in mode which I certainly cant live with : (. Is this a job for the dealers or is there an alternative. Also if I did go to the dealers would I have to would I have to buy brand new clocks or would the dealer just charge me to match the clocks and ecu up? Thanks in advance for your responses. Kevin.

Hi Kevin. I've been helping Roger with his sidecar and have learnt a little bit about these. We were told by Park Lane that the dash is 'paired' to the ecu, so a used set of clocks will never work correctly with anything other than the ecu they were supplied with. They told us the only way to get the dash fully functional was to buy a new set and have it 'paired' to the ecu. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

That might be some "dealer chat" about the new clocks only. I can't see why a used set could not be paired - it's not like they are going to have a once only setting (unless BMW are mental, or it's the most inflexible anti-theft strategy I've ever seen) Surely, you must be able to re-set the clocks to 'as new' so they can be paired up. What would happen if your ECU got fried - new clocks also? Can't see it...

It will be a dealer job though, so I'd investigate the one closest to you with a decent reputation for being helpful (post where you are on here and get some suggestions)

Not all dealers are the same...

Last edited:
Hello mate - unfortunately the clocks can only be paired once as a security feature, so you will need new clocks for them to be paired to your ECU.

Be aware that the current clocks unpaired can cause issue's with your DTC as the clocks control the status of the DTC settings.

Just a thought Would it not be possible to get the ECU for the replacement clocks you have (wherever you purchased them) and then sell your ECU?. Logic being that the original ECU will already be paired with the clocks?

Good Luck mate!

Wow - that's nuts. Lets hope the ECUs are nice and robust then...

You think that's nuts try this. disconnect your ECU and move the bike (i.e. rotate the wheels) and reconnect the ECU - game over new ECU req. another security feature.

Cheers

There is something weird about the mode/dash/ecu set up for sure.
My experience is related but possibly of no help whatsoever.
Alpha Racing switchgear, Starlane Dash - cannot switch modes.
Normal switchgear, Starlane Dash - can switch modes.
Alpha switchgear works so its not that.

Going to try Alpha switchgear and normal dash to see what happens.
Alpha Racing says there is possibly a resistor issue / difference between Starlane and normal dash which may cause this problem.

As I said, doesn't help much but certainly could be related.

Davy

Last edited:
There is something weird about the mode/dash/ecu set up for sure.
My experience is related but possibly of no help whatsoever.
Alpha Racing switchgear, Starlane Dash - cannot switch modes.
Normal switchgear, Starlane Dash - can switch modes.
Alpha switchgear works so its not that.

Going to try Alpha switchgear and normal dash to see what happens.
Alpha Racing says there is possibly a resistor issue / difference between Starlane and normal dash which may cause this problem.

As I said, doesn't help much but certainly could be related.

Davy

Update,
I tried my original dash back on the bike and the Alpha switchgear allows me to change modes so looks like Alpha might be on to something.
I hope this maybe helps with others problems with mode shifting

Davy

Back