Brexit Euro days.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for the post Gav.. were looking to organise a double header in Portugal may/June...Amit joked about taking a van.. I can see the benefits now.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I just drove to Portugal, sat in Porto atm...not too bad a trip. If I had the time spare and the van it would make a good trip with a bike for a few track days well planned.

Absolute must is the toll e-tags you just zip through the toll booths of France, Spain and Portugal.

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Currently that's correct for transferring your vehicles between EU countries. Post BREXIT without a deal it could be VAT (~20%) + Duty (~4%) to move a vehicle to/from the EU, personal or for business despite length of ownership. I'm tracking this as I have houses in the UK, Italy and Australia and like to move toys around.
Can I assume having a return booked is part of the method to avoid being stung unnecessarily?

I just drove to Portugal, sat in Porto atm...not too bad a trip. If I had the time spare and the van it would make a good trip with a bike for a few track days well planned.

Absolute must is the toll e-tags you just zip through the toll booths of France, Spain and Portugal.

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

How long would you allow to make the trip to Portimao? Estimated cost? Van....

~180? + an overnight stay each way for my car at an avg 30mpg (56 330i E90 BMW)
Its 1400miles and 22hrs to Portimao from the EuroTunnel on the UK side.

Ideal trip would be Estoril -> Portimao -> Jerez to make it worth it. 7-9 days on track...

Last edited:

Ideal trip would be Estoril -> Portimao -> Jerez to make it worth it. 7-9 days on track...

7-9 days on track I'd be wasted ....

Thats exactly what I'd do, get a holiday out of it.

How much did you pay in Tolls Alex ?

Thats exactly what I'd do, get a holiday out of it.

How much did you pay in Tolls Alex ?

No idea, not shown up in the account yet.

Amit/ Stu if you're going on the Estoril/Portimao double header do let me know might be interested in gatecrashing

Amit/ Stu if you're going on the Estoril/Portimao double header do let me know might be interested in gatecrashing

For sure, just dunno how this Brexit thing is going to pan out

That is far cheaper than taking the Ferry which takes the same amount of time i believe. I am thinking of doing a trip around Feb/March next year in a van. (Selling the pickup) If i go it would be for a min of 7 days, maybe longer. Take the wife and the dog as well. I am fortunate that my job allows me to work from anywhere. (Long before Covid)

I am more worried about what will happen with Pet passports and travel next year haha!

Whoops you probably are thinking I am including the Euro tunnel and I wasn't, just fuel. You'd need to factor in the cross cost, return, with a van.

Last edited:
Cheers for the post Gav.. were looking to organise a double header in Portugal may/June...Amit joked about taking a van.. I can see the benefits now.

Taking your bike out in your own van not a bad idea for Euro trips. I'm due to collect my bike from FE this weekend - been without it since March. Has come back on their first transport from Almeria since then!

Taking your bike out in your own van not a bad idea for Euro trips. I'm due to collect my bike from FE this weekend - been without it since March. Has come back on their first transport from Almeria since then!

Wow! You are only just getting it back! That is insane.

Whoops you probably are thinking I am including the Euro tunnel and I wasn't, just fuel. You'd need to factor in the cross cost, return, with a van.

Haha don't worry Alex, i did think it was only fuel costs. But it did give an idea how much it does costs to drive. Maybe we should put a thread together showing how much it costs to drive to a Euro event?

I have done this trip via boat and on the roads and the difference in time and/or money is negligible. Sitting on french motorways is horrendously tedious but in these covid times, a better option than a boat.

1400 miles each way is 2800 miles. At your 30mpg thats 93 gallons. A gallon is 4.5 litres, even at 1 euro a litre its 418 euros just in fuel, and its 10% more than that ?ish at the pump.

You then have a least one overnight stop each way, somewhere crap is going to be ?50 ish, each way, so thats ?100 minimum. Plus food and drink for 2 days.

Plus the euro tunnel return ticket which is at least ?100, and the french tolls will be a lot more than ?not much?.

So I make it easily ?600-700 round trip if you dont eat en route/or take your own provisions.

I have done this trip via boat and on the roads and the difference in time and/or money is negligible. Sitting on french motorways is horrendously tedious but in these covid times, a better option than a boat.

1400 miles each way is 2800 miles. At your 30mpg thats 93 gallons. A gallon is 4.5 litres, even at 1 euro a litre its 418 euros just in fuel, and its 10% more than that ?ish at the pump.

You then have a least one overnight stop each way, somewhere crap is going to be ?50 ish, each way, so thats ?100 minimum. Plus food and drink for 2 days.

Plus the euro tunnel return ticket which is at least ?100, and the french tolls will be a lot more than ?not much?.

So I make it easily ?600-700 round trip if you dont eat en route/or take your own provisions.
Yes thats why I think its not worth it for a single event (in a van with bikes). I'd want a double or triple header.

If you are splitting it between a min of 2 the cost isn't bad and that is basing on a car with 30MPG.

Another thing to consider is your time for having to have to drop off and collect your bike before and after the trip. For example if i went with NL, their nearest is location 2hrs from me. If it is in the week then that for arguments sake that is a day off work plus fuel costs.

If you are flying you still need to park your car at the airport or get a taxi. (I would anyway) You may also need a hire car the other end? I would imagine driving yourself is a similar cost to flying/using the organisers transport. It could even possibly come in a tad cheaper.

Latest posts

Back