Brexit Euro days.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavD101

Reaction score
I received an email/news letter the other day from Tracksense regarding new rules for Euro trips. I have copied it below, but it looks like a right ballache if you're having your bike shipped out to Europe:

More bad news I?m afraid?

When the Brexit transition period ends on 31 Dec, our understanding is that special documentation will be required for transport to Europe. This will increase costs and reduce flexibility for us and for our riders.

In short and simple terms, as things stand now, Brexit will mean that:

? One-way transport to Spain will no longer be possible.

? We will not be able to accept late bookings (less than 4 weeks before the event) for transport.

? We will require an accurate list of the items that each rider wants to transport 3 weeks before the drop-off day, and once that list is submitted, nothing can be added or changed.

? When bikes are dropped off, we will have to check that every item from every rider is as described on their list ? and we will have to reject anything that does not match their list.

? Transport costs will have to increase, probably by between ?50 and ?100 per bike, depending on what Brexit deal is done (if any) ? or transport costs could stay more or less as they are, but we?d have to introduce a transport surcharge based on the value of the bike (and the other items) that each rider wants to transport.

I should stress that none of this will apply until AFTER 31 Dec ? so it won?t affect Jerez 13-15 Nov, and for Jerez in Jan 21we plan to take the bikes out just before the New Year in order to avoid the Brexit chaos anyway ? so this would only apply for trips from Feb 21 onwards.

Note that if you take your own bike out to Europe in a van or whatever, none of this will apply to you because, as usual with this kind of stuff, it is only businesses that have to jump through all the hoops. Our understanding is that the requirement for carrying your own bike in a van or trailer is that you just need the have the V5 with you, just the same as you do now.

If you want a more detailed explanation, here it is?

When the Brexit transition period ends on 31 Dec, along with the free movement of people, the free movement of goods will also stop ? and our understanding is that special documentation will then be required for bike transport to Europe. This will result in increased costs and far less flexibility, both for us and for our riders.

Currently, the documentation that would be required is much the same as that currently required for trips outside of Europe ? and any of you have done track day trips to places like Australia, America, Malaysia or anywhere else outside the EU will already know something about this.

The increase in costs will depend on 2 things?

Firstly, the Brexit deal that is done ? a free trade deal (which looks unlikely) would cost less than no deal (which now looks likely). The only way we could avoid the increase in costs is if we remained in the EU customs union and we had a free trade deal, but the UK government already ruled that out a long time ago.

Secondly, the increase in costs will also depend on the total value of all of the goods (i.e. bikes, kit, tyres, etc.) on each truck ? so a truck load of nearly new V4R?s would add a lot more cost than a truck full of old Fireblades for example.

So it would cost us a lot more to move expensive bikes/kit that it would to mover less valuable bikes/kit, and the increase in costs would in theory be doubled if it?s a no deal Brexit (as compared to a free trade deal that is).

On top of that, we will have far less flexibility?

The rules for the new documentation are complex, but essentially we?d have to provide a detailed list of everything that will go on each truck in advance, everything that goes out on the truck must come back (and that includes tyres, etc.) and nothing can be added or changed (i.e. the return load must be exactly the same as the outbound load in every detail). And it takes up to 3 weeks to get the necessary documentation, so the detailed list would have to be provided 3 weeks before we transport the bikes.

All of this means that:

One-way transport to Spain will no longer be possible.

We will not be able to accept late bookings (less than 4 weeks before the event) for transport.
We will require an accurate list of the items that each rider wants to transport 3 weeks before the drop-off day, and once that list is submitted, nothing can be added or changed.

When bikes are dropped off, we will have to check that every item from every rider is as described on their list ? and we will have to reject anything that does not match their list.

And transport costs will have to be increased, probably by between ?50 and ?100 per bike (depending on what the Brexit deal is) ? or transport costs could stay more or less as they are, but we?d have to introduce a transport surcharge based on the value of the bike (and the other items) that each rider wants to transport.

Welcome to the world of Carnets.... Common in the 80?s, early 90?s travelling with goods to Europe or even North/south Ireland plus lots of other stuff I grew up with, the good old Royal Navy bumping French / Spanish trawlers out of the way, European wine, cheese and other mountains. Like anything else you soon get used to it and don?t even notice it.... much like a lot of peoples views on Covid. Next door neighbours of mine in their 70?s don?t believe it exist or own a mask.

Tony is always overly pessimistic and sad. I guess we have to wait and see the outcome of the deal.

Surely motorbike stillages is a very tiny portion of cargo that is being moved between the UK and EU. I hope big businessee have some kind of lobby and influence over government's decisions.

Tony is always overly pessimistic and sad. I guess we have to wait and see the outcome of the deal.

Surely motorbike stillages is a very tiny portion of cargo that is being moved between the UK and EU. I hope big businessee have some kind of lobby and influence over government's decisions.

I think that it will be a right pain with the paperwork. I had experience of shipping electronic equipment to USA for repair and return. Customs on outward and return journies want all the correct paperwork otherwise they will charge import duty in both countries.

Got the same email from Tracksense - thought it a bit melodramatic.

It'll be no different than currently shipping your bike to non EU countries, which I have. When you've done it once it's a minor bit of paperwork.

- Vehicle frame and engine numbers, with photographs laminated on seperate A4 sheets attached to the vehicle.
- Manifest of all items, with number and value i.e. Motorcycle boots x1 ?300, motorcycle leathers x1 ?500, toolbox including tools x1 ?150

Supply all forms etc in a machine readable format (pdf, xls, jpeg) suitable for API (advanced passenger information) systems.

I've had my bike shipped to Australia (amongst many others) which by far the most stringent country for temporary importation due to their bio security measures - the whole vehicle and accompanying ancillaires have to be spotless, brand new tyres all round, no used/worn tyres at all, all boots, leathers, helmets must be totally clean of mud, bugs, plant material etc.

Any experienced international logistics firm will be very familiar the process. It's a hassle first time, then it's a case of updating your forms and away you go.

Just a suggestion if storing your bike abroad is a requirement.

Take your bike to Dover/Folkstone etc, load it on to the chunnel/ferry under it's own power. Get off the ferry at Calais/Santander, load it on to a van, store it over there, get a flight back.

Why not to just drive a van with a bike inside ? You can't really load a trackbike under its own power right ?

I vote to buy a villa with garage over there [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Why not to just drive a van with a bike inside ? You can't really load a trackbike under its own power right ?

True, you could take the bike in van. The EU customs may see the van as a commercial vehicle and apply the same temporary import declaration requirements to the load and require an indemnity fee to prevent import duty fraud. Whereas riding a bike would be considered a personal vehicle.

Last edited:
True, you could take the bike in van. The EU customs may see the van as a commercial vehicle and apply the same temporary import declaration requirements to the load and require an indemnity fee to prevent import duty fraud. Whereas riding a bike would be considered a personal vehicle.

Why would they see it as a commercial vehicle if the bike belongs to you ? you're just taking your stuff to Europe. As far as I know if you owned it for more than 6 months, its not taxable right ?

to be fair,Tony is never a full of the joys of spring,but he must have an idea of whats what (he is good at explaining stuff,albeit without a shred of optimism),and has no doubt looked into it as much as he can,due to the fact it's his livelyhood,but until the actual details have been finalised (brexit) he,as usual is airing on the side of doom and gloom....

His email last year about "how to strap a bike in a stillage" was a good example of the lengths he likes to go to, to make a point.

His email last year about "how to strap a bike in a stillage" was a good example of the lengths he likes to go to, to make a point.

Throw everything in the stillage, hope it stops moving for a few seconds and go hyper with the pallet wrap?

to be fair,Tony is never a full of the joys of spring,but he must have an idea of whats what (he is good at explaining stuff,albeit without a shred of optimism),and has no doubt looked into it as much as he can,due to the fact it's his livelyhood,but until the actual details have been finalised (brexit) he,as usual is airing on the side of doom and gloom....

he was helpful enough to teach me how to strap bike properly and how to place paddock stands. I really appreciate him doing this.

As far as I know if you owned it for more than 6 months, its not taxable right ?

Currently that's correct for transferring your vehicles between EU countries. Post BREXIT without a deal it could be VAT (~20%) + Duty (~4%) to move a vehicle to/from the EU, personal or for business despite length of ownership. I'm tracking this as I have houses in the UK, Italy and Australia and like to move toys around.

Currently that's correct for transferring your vehicles between EU countries. Post BREXIT without a deal it could be VAT (~20%) + Duty (~4%) to move a vehicle to/from the EU, personal or for business despite length of ownership. I'm tracking this as I have houses in the UK, Italy and Australia and like to move toys around.

Got it, thank you for explaining this, thats very helpful.

Latest posts

Back