Side Panels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRoss

Reaction score
Hi all,I've just about finished installing Ventureshield,only the side panels to go. I'm gonna do these off the bike as I reckon it would be easier and I need to take the panels off to fit the radiator guards.
Is there anything I need to look out for when removing the side panels? Any tips and tricks most appreciated.

Remove the torx screw first. Pull firmly on the panels. If you're pulling very firmly and they still won't come off, check you haven't missed any screws.

Is it just the torx screws that are easily visible? I've removed side panels on bikes before that have had hidden clips/screws etc

There are six torx bolts that need unscrewing to remove the side panels. They are all easy to access with five visible on the side fairings and one under the front cowl near the fork leg.

Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards

In addition to the side panels you may want to remove the lower fairings aswell when you fit your radiator and oil cooler guards. It just makes fitting them a lot easier especially as the Cox Racing set that I fitted mounted to the original fixings meaning I had to remove the bellypan. Like the side panels, the lower fairings are easy to remove.

Thank you,I was gonna ask about the lower panels as I think they'll need to come off,Evotech rad guards mount on original fixings too.

If I remember rightly there's a plastic post on the inside of the panel that fits into a rubber grommet so it'll need a good yank to get the panel off once all screws are out. The indicator just unplugs after the cable has been taken out of the cable clip...I think?

If I remember rightly there's a plastic post on the inside of the panel that fits into a rubber grommet so it'll need a good yank to get the panel off once all screws are out. The indicator just unplugs after the cable has been taken out of the cable clip...I think?

Yep, need to ease off the lugs which go into the retainer, don't just yank it !!

Is it just as easy to take the lower fairings off as one piece,both sides still joined together or is this not possible/advisable?

Yes I took mine off as one piece just support it at the centre tabs when removing. Don't wiggle the mounting points back and forth just pull towards you. They can be pretty tight so I've put a very small dab of grease on the mounting point and it slides in and off easily now.

Oh and watch the top screw mounting point with its metal tab beside the handle bar, I marked the fairing at the inside front when I was lining it up. The metal scratched the paint. Doh!

Cheers folks,got them off no dramas and radiator guards fitted. I'll be careful with that metal clip at the top and as suggested a bit of grease on the rubber mounts so they slip back on and off easier.

Is it just as easy to take the lower fairings off as one piece,both sides still joined together or is this not possible/advisable?
Sorry can't help you with that one Ross but my advice would be to have a small flat headed screwdriver in your pocket when you take the side panels off so you can unclip the indicator wires plugs easily. They are not very long so don't remove the panels too vigorously or you may snap them.

JimmyMac

You're right about the screwdriver,was holding the panel in one hand and at full stretch rummaging about in toolbox for one lol. Had it handy when I took the other side off.
As for the sleep I won't be getting any until 8am,am nightshift this week. First night and I was up at 7am yesterday:confusion:

Back