She's going back to the dealer !!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopper link=topic=1438.msg13935#msg13935 date=1348641903 said:
No mate. On a 2011

I was talking to BMW over the phone saying they would find it quite difficult to replicate the false neutrals on the road. BMW test roade the bike and didn't find any faulse neutrals at all.. If also been told that if there is no debris found on the sump plug, I'll be billed for all investigation work that has been carried out

In that case i'd wanna be there when the sump plug came out :mad:

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but is this problem that you might be pulling away and shift into second and instead of going into second you get neutral and the revs shoot up on the engine as a result?

Reason I ask is my bike does that every once in a while and I mentioned it to the dealer when it went for service and they told me they looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. Now worried that this is a much bigger problem than I thought, and keen to get it sorted before my warranty expires!

It's not as I pull away. Its higher in the rev range. I'll got to shift from 2nd to 3rd. The box doesn't engage and just smashes the cogs.

If your just getting high revs, your probably not causing any damage. If the bike is smashing gears then you may have a problem.

So the dealer called today to let me know that they checked the sump plug. They found debris on there but apparently noting more than normal !!!!!

As there isn't a fault (so the dealer says) I'm now being billed for the investigation work, oil change, filter and sump plug washer.......

I know there is a fault with the bike however trying to prove it to the dealer is pretty much impossible.....

That's shit news, don't take it lying down, I'd suggest a couple of stiff letters/emails to BMW uk, the bike press etc and copy these to the MD of the dealer you are using.

BTW the dealer isn't vines in Guildford is it by any chance?

Good luck with it buddy.

Hi Russ,
Forgot to speak to you about your gearbox problems at Snet.
Sorry to hear you had no joy with Park Lane.
I would tell them that next time you go on track again you will pull the plug on the 'shifter and try it clutchless and with clutch.If it still has a problem then it's not the 'shifter so they will have to investigate further.
If it is the shifter then you will probably be on your own as it is a Shift-Assist! not quickshifter.(Although I do know of one chap who made his dealer run the bike on a dyno,with their demonstrator,and BOTH had a shift problem at high rpm.They gave him a new quickshifter!)

I do have a stiffer Factory Pro shift spring which you could try,if you are prepared to pull the clutch off(you will need to borrow the clutch tool and tdc locking pin from Park Lane).

Apparently the Factory Pro shift spring causes premature wear in other parts. Form another forum:

Can you tell me why you dont sell the kit (spring and detent plate ) for the S1000RR, because i would like to advise future purchasers of your spring that yes it gives you a more positive gear change, but i think by not mating the spring with a hardened shift star (detent plate) you get premature wear on the shift star...thus causing shift lever hang which increases the more miles you do..
I have your detent spring fitted, 7000 miles down the road and my lever is hanging more and more, the extra pressure on the internal lever arm is flattening off the shift star high spots.....i see your kits for other bikes sell with a shift star why not ours..as you are aware the internal lever has a roller bearing that runs up and down the peaks and troughs of the shift star (detent plate) and that roller bearing is harder that the shift stars surface thus wears more the higher the tension of the spring...regards

baz link=topic=1438.msg13989#msg13989 date=1348745758 said:
Hi Russ,
Forgot to speak to you about your gearbox problems at Snet.
Sorry to hear you had no joy with Park Lane.
I would tell them that next time you go on track again you will pull the plug on the 'shifter and try it clutchless and with clutch.If it still has a problem then it's not the 'shifter so they will have to investigate further.
If it is the shifter then you will probably be on your own as it is a Shift-Assist! not quickshifter.(Although I do know of one chap who made his dealer run the bike on a dyno,with their demonstrator,and BOTH had a shift problem at high rpm.They gave him a new quickshifter!)

I do have a stiffer Factory Pro shift spring which you could try,if you are prepared to pull the clutch off(you will need to borrow the clutch tool and tdc locking pin from Park Lane).

Thanks for the offer Baz. I think I'll just get the bike back and get on and ride it. I've got another 4 days this year so ill see what happens. If the bike is still hitting faulse neutrals etc its going to be going back to Park Lane again !!

I some how think this wont be the last of this !

Godzilla link=topic=1438.msg13992#msg13992 date=1348754334 said:
Apparently the Factory Pro shift spring causes premature wear in other parts. Form another forum:

Can you tell me why you dont sell the kit (spring and detent plate ) for the S1000RR, because i would like to advise future purchasers of your spring that yes it gives you a more positive gear change, but i think by not mating the spring with a hardened shift star (detent plate) you get premature wear on the shift star...thus causing shift lever hang which increases the more miles you do..
I have your detent spring fitted, 7000 miles down the road and my lever is hanging more and more, the extra pressure on the internal lever arm is flattening off the shift star high spots.....i see your kits for other bikes sell with a shift star why not ours..as you are aware the internal lever has a roller bearing that runs up and down the peaks and troughs of the shift star (detent plate) and that roller bearing is harder that the shift stars surface thus wears more the higher the tension of the spring...regards

That's interesting-it certainly works short term.I took mine out because I found the shift too stiff.
Funnily enough,I haven't had the missed-shift problem since but I have also changed my boots.
I rode the bike the other day,using my old boots,and guess what?,I had a few mis-shifts!

Thought i better get back on here and report how i went with the dealers. The guys at alton test rode it and noticed irregular slacking of the clutch cable after the ride. They then notified me they would strip the bike and explore. They said they found nothing wrong and i said i was not imagining it and they pressed on. the result was they found scorings and notches that may have caused the problem. The lads at Alton are the best i have ever dealt with and including the owner Alistair they are all genuine characters. The result was a replacement of a box of parts wich they showed me when i picked the bike up. Everything was covered under warranty and i received no bill. I called them on a monday morning and they collected it from my house one and a half hours away that afternoon. I have waited til i have put 500 miles on it before commenting, but the bike is spot on and smooth as silk. I have not had one false neutral since i got it back. i am now loving the bike the way it should have been from the start. On a side note i had a very annoying issue with a hesitation under hard acceleration and that has since been solved also. it was the secondary fuel module. It had to be removed to stop it. Even zeroing the map didnt fix it it actually had to be removed. Don't put one on yer bike or let any one tell you it needs it.

Touch wood had no gear box issues on my 11 plate had a few missed gears on my 10 plate but fitted a new detent spring in my 11 just to be on the safe side ;)

I have a problem finding neutral, really struggling and then the clutch is grabby after using the qs, seems to click???

Only got 330 miles on the clock

FRS463 link=topic=1438.msg16324#msg16324 date=1353534939 said:
I have a problem finding neutral, really struggling and then the clutch is grabby after using the qs, seems to click???

Only got 330 miles on the clock
that'll be the micro switch disconnecting the q/s! Run the bloody thing in first... they are tight to start with, neutral is best found from 2cnd.:)

mine has clicked for the last 2 years , if you are refferring to the lever , and yeah the neutral thing appears to be a foible you learn to live with....for me anyway

Change detent spring to help with finding neutral and gear changes are more positive,as for the click thats normal but it is irritating,im thinking about getting a stm slipper clutch.???

Right...

I think I may of got somewhere. Went to a different BMW dealer today. Explained my problems with the bike, showed them the pic of my sump plug with all the metal attached. They actually said the gear box is fucked just by looking at the pic and should be able to get a new box fitted under warranty. They also said it would be dangerouse to ride.

Subsequently, the bike is still having the same box problems after being taken to Park Lane and after they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Fingers crossed and all that..

Dropped the bike off at my local BMW Motorad dealer this morning. Iv showed them the pic of the sump plug including all the chunks of gearbox attached to it. Iv been told a new box is going to be put straight in.

Happy Days...

Hopper link=topic=1438.msg17212#msg17212 date=1355595597 said:
Dropped the bike off at my local BMW Motorad dealer this morning. Iv showed them the pic of the sump plug including all the chunks of gearbox attached to it. Iv been told a new box is going to be put straight in.

Happy Days...
Will it be a John Deere or Massey Ferguson gearbox? ;) ;)

Parley Waller link=topic=1438.msg17215#msg17215 date=1355596858 said:
Hopper link=topic=1438.msg17212#msg17212 date=1355595597 said:

Happy Days...
Will it be a John Deere or Massey Ferguson gearbox? ;) ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Back