ride height adjuster

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike g

Reaction score
anyone tried swoping the top shock mounting over to raise the rear and stick it on it's nose a bit?
thinking of giving it a go as I generally like my bikes that way, but doesn't seem much wrong the way it comes, any way all observations welcome before I get the spanners out

I flipped mine but I'm not sure it's made a massive difference, maybe a little quicker to turn. I tried it as I saw a video on Youtube with some guy explaining the sag set up on the 1000rr and he reckoned that it needed to be flipped to get the suspension sitting in a better position with the linkage to achieve a more realistic rear sag setting, on the standard setting he said the suspension was sitting in too firm a portion of the linkage, the rear does seem more compliant for having done it. Easy to change back if you don't like the effect.

yep, think i will give it a go, just wondered if it would make it too "slappy" I haven't properly checked rear sag yet; front was easier to check (didn't adjust). I've recently set the damping on comfort rather than normal and it seems much nicer on the back lanes, (but i'm probably around 100kg in leathers) I think BMW settings are based on 85kg so should suit me ok.

swopped it over at the weekend - little bit fiddly for access. can report not much difference, maybe slightly quicker turning and a little further to get your toes down!

yep, think i will give it a go, just wondered if it would make it too "slappy" I haven't properly checked rear sag yet; front was easier to check (didn't adjust). I've recently set the damping on comfort rather than normal and it seems much nicer on the back lanes, (but i'm probably around 100kg in leathers) I think BMW settings are based on 85kg so should suit me ok.

You sound a similar weight to me I re sprung and had my suspension set up on my bike which helped a lot. I have also put a 20mm higher seat on which also made a massive difference to turn in

This modification known as" flipping the essentric" raises the rear ride height by 5mm. For road use you will see a small improvement, but on the track it's a massive improvement the bike turns so much quicker.
I altered the settings to my track bike, raised the rear by 5mm, and have 8mm of fork tube above the top clamp, rides like its on rails.

the other option is the HP race seat or the Wunderlich ergo seat high which is a lot more comfortable they both race you 20mm it dramaticly alters the turn in by putting more weight in the bars.

the other option is the HP race seat or the Wunderlich ergo seat high which is a lot more comfortable they both race you 20mm it dramaticly alters the turn in by putting more weight in the bars.

Hell, if I put a seat 20mm higher I wouldn't be able to touch the ground !!! While the seat option will probably make the bike feel different due to the change in ride position and higher overall rider/bike centre of gravity it isn't changing the steering geometry.

This modification known as" flipping the essentric" raises the rear ride height by 5mm. For road use you will see a small improvement, but on the track it's a massive improvement the bike turns so much quicker.
I altered the settings to my track bike, raised the rear by 5mm, and have 8mm of fork tube above the top clamp, rides like its on rails.

To get 8mm of fork showing did you raise or lower the forks i.e. what were they before? Mine is showing about 10mm currently (2012 model).

I've flipped the rear spacer and it does turn in quicker, more noticeable on track, but the steering does get quite flappy on full acceleration in 2nd and 3rd when exiting corners, not dangerous but... interesting. I just readjust my riding position and change my grip on the bars to compensate. Haven't tried playing with the steering damper yet, still in half way position since it was new.

The front forks I have tried in various positions, raised and lowered. I have had them flush with the top clamp, but 8mm seems to be the right setting, this has been tried and tested by various race teams and seems to be the best set up for the 2011 bikes.
the 2012 bikes had their geometry altered so I don't know if this is the best set up for 2012 onwards.

I recently had my bike in canons BMW as my left fork was 3mm different in height when I bought it (naughty naughty) anyway they set it to 12mm showing from top yoke standard is 10mm trouble is BMW make changes that they don't broadcast and will superseded without you even knowing I know this from current employment it has made the bike very predictable and steer faster . When I bought it I thought this thing is a pig to turn compared to my Gsxr 1000k5 but now I'm happy if you want it to turn tighter get on the juice .

Latest posts

Back